Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate "Stevie J", just call him Steve Johnson. He's one of the handful of players the media have hard ons for, along with Jake King (despite being a mediocre footballer in general). He is not underrated.
Wash your mouth out with soap. To even talk about Jake King and STEVIE J in the same post shows how I'll informed you are

Our midfield is pretty average and would be terrible without SJ.

Caddy is shit and not in our best 22 so not sure why he is being named.

Johnson has gone past Selwood, for mine. Been a huge critic of his in the past but he is now an elite midfielder and think he'll be top 10 in the league by the end of the season.

Possibly not Caddy, but i think with a bit of development he could be servicable. I think he is top 10 material at this point in time.

Personally, biggest losses to Geelong will be Steve Johnson when he retires and the other one was Scarlett.

it's a big call, but I quietly agree with that sentiment too FS.
Johnson has been the main creative architect of Geelong's attacking style over the years, he is irreplaceable, such a clever footballer - sounds cliched and boring but half the time it is where he runs to which is so important and gives him time and space to make decisions.
He has made some absolute howling mistakes over the years, I have cursed him as much as pretty much any Geelong footballer you could name (e.g. Kent Kingsley), but he tries to make things happen and ultimately I admire him for taking the risks that he does, even when they don't come off - I've learned to accept that aspect of his game.
Hard to overstate just how huge he has been for the Cats.

Amazing player. Has games where he literally has a hand in everything and is impossible to stop. great football smarts and awareness. His main problems though are his free kick staging (which has been alot better this year) and the occasional brain farts he has. Sometimes he just tries to be too cute, or too creative for his own good. But as a link up man in the middle and the half forward, he is amazing.

No chance he is underrated.

For mine to be what I call the elite players, you need as an individual to be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it not just on its end, but to a point where their team will win. I can honestly say there aren't that many in that group at all, maybe 10-15 tops in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly he is highly rated by all, but rarely considered top 5 when the question is asked.

IMO he is top 5 in the comp.

Ablett
Watson
Buddy
Stevie J
Pendles

Not in exact order.

Not under rated by me. First player I drafted in Supercoach Draft and AFL Fantasy Elite and has been raking in the points as captain.

Oh he can go alright in the real world too.

Full time midfielding seems to suit him well. He is playing at a consistent high level and just took the primary tag of Cornes off Selwood last week and still ran riot. Selwood getting off the leash could be a nice bonus as Johnson absorbs more and more focus from coaches.

Agree with others, he's much to valuable in the midfield now with Geelong's young players still developing tanks to run out full games.

It's like the Cats are pandering to me. Wojo is injured and then retires and they chuck Johnson into the midfield :thumbsu:

Seriously though, he is probably my favourite player to watch in terms of full game output in the competition. Some of things he does, creativity wise, are unbelievable. Also one of the best going inside 50 in the competition and as has been mentioned, super unselfish for a guy that occasionally comes off as pretty up himself.

I do believe he's properly rated, but some have perhaps not seen how his influence has changed in terms of what he gives to such a good side since he's gone into the midfield full-time.

For a player with such a brilliant reputation he is somehow underrated. Look at what happened to Geelong's midfield when he was absent, which is the only weak area of the current Geelong side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevie J - Underated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back