Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, sure it sucks. But to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, Disappointment is the interest payment on the enjoyment the club has given us. And hey, haven't they given it in spades? We're the most successful club in the league and while there are departures all around with other clubs this year's minor premieres will be largely or completely intact next year. I'd rather be a constant in the comp and finals than be Richmond with three flags and a wooden spoon that they look like they will be enjoying for a while yet.

In fact, looking back at flag winners:

Hawthorn: MIA until late in 2024.
West Coast: Can't even get a coach now.
Collingwood: Missed the eight and carried by one gun player.
Richmond: Wooden spoon.
Bulldogs: Sucked for years after their accidental flag.
Melbourne: 14th and their supporters have all gone skiing.
Geelong: Probably the best of that bunch but looking shop worn now.

Sydney five GF appearances from 2012 and missed the eight once. The only change I'd make is getting rid of "Sweet Caroline" at the SCG, that'll make the difference. Apart from that we're well placed. Thanks for sharing the journey this year, I've had so much fun. I already feel better thinking about next season. C ya.

The morning after the 2022 GF found myself in my hotel lift with a Geelong fan. He was very gracious and said he’d never seen the Cats play as well as that. I allowed that to feed into my personal narrative that we weren’t quite ready and were physically overwhelmed by a bigger, older side on a mission.

But having relived the nightmare so soon my perspective is different, not only on yesterday but on two years ago too. Any team looks like it can’t be beaten when the opposition doesn’t show up. We’d already beaten Geelong in 2022 and we fought out a tight loss against Brisbane just a couple of months ago.

Brisbane played superbly yesterday. I don’t question that. But we are capable of superb footy too, and that footy doesn’t allow the opposition to do as they please.

I don’t pretend to have any idea why we bottled it. Again. But I’m not buying into the “Lions were just too good” narrative.
Yes Brisbane are a great side.

But in the last few weeks, GWS and Geelong were still able to be competitive to the 4th quarter.

It reminds me of everyone expecting Hawthorn to destroy Port Adelaide with their run, ball movement and contested football. But Port were able to stop them playing their game.

I said months ago that our forwards where not good enough for a flag and there will be a time out mids of didn’t hit the scoreboard we would look garbage.

was howled down about being negative

Also said amartey would get hold of Payne

We have tried I k ow but we need a marking target to go anywhere

Last edited:
I'd just like to clarify one thing that I have read here a few times - that the Swans GF losses are akin to the famed "Colliwobbles". I respectfully disagree.

The wobbles legend was based on a string of close losses, with some handy (even match winning) leads being blown for good measure - 64 - 4 pts, 66 - 1 pt, 70 - 10 pts (after leading by 44 at h/t), 77 - draw (after leading by 27 at 3q/t), 77 (replay) - 27 pts, 1979 - 5 pts (after leading by 27 in the mud prior to h/t), 1980 - 81 pts, 1981 - 20 pts.

In all those Grand Finals there was only one blow out, 1980. The Collingwood wobbles teams, for all their failings, were overwhelmingly competitive in the GFs they played, and should have won imo several of them. Contrast this to the Swans, who for three of the four GFs in question have been completely uncompetitive.

If the Swans had the dreaded "Colliwobbles", their fans would still be grieving, but because the team could have and probably should have won - but lost in heartbreaking circumstances. Sadly I think the Swans have invented a variant of the wobbles - ie going to pieces simply because they made the GF. :( :(

I'd just like to clarify one thing that I have read here a few times - that the Swans GF losses are akin to the famed "Colliwobbles". I respectfully disagree.

The wobbles legend was based on a string of close losses, with some handy (even match winning) leads being blown for good measure - 64 - 4 pts, 66 - 1 pt, 70 - 10 pts (after leading by 44 at h/t), 77 - draw (after leading by 27 at 3q/t), 77 (replay) - 27 pts, 1979 - 5 pts (after leading by 27 in the mud prior to h/t), 1980 - 81 pts, 1981 - 20 pts.

In all those Grand Finals there was only one blow out, 1980. The Collingwood wobbles teams, for all their failings, were overwhelmingly competitive in the GFs they played, and should have won imo several of them. Contrast this to the Swans, who for three of the four GFs in question have been completely uncompetitive.

If the Swans had the dreaded "Colliwobbles", their fans would still be grieving, but because the team could have and probably should have won - but lost in heartbreaking circumstances. Sadly I think the Swans have invented a variant of the wobbles - ie going to pieces simply because they made the GF. :( :(
be interested in your views as an invested outsider ... what do you think the club needs to do to change things from being completely uncompetitive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane was way too good.

But with hindsight I don't think we should have played Fox as a forward. If you select Fox, you play him in defence. Otherwise start Campbell as a quicker player in our forward line.

Also seem to lack a bit of depth in our inside midfield. We have got Rowbottom, Heeney and Warner. But then we rely on Gulden, Jordan and Parker (who was forward). So could have done with another natural inside mid rotating through. But that has been our structure all season.
Cleary is perhaps the player we need as a forward/mid field he is our future.

The sad/funny thing is next year we could go undefeated till the grand final and we still won’t enjoy the ride because we know that they will have all the pressure to perform in the grand final and you know deep down inside they will still falter at the last hurdle and the sad thing is, it wouldn’t surprise us.
Makes it so hard
Lol how funny you can’t even trust your own footy team

Maybe we never got over being robbed in 2016 a game that was as tied in the last but won by the umps

Bulldogs fans no doubt lurking enjoying us losing too like it makes up for their shit club can suck it

Can't even blame that rat Stevic
No Bedders. The blame’s lies with who were in front of us.
I saw Maxy out the back in the food area during the game. I feel sorry for blokes like that that would have died for the club today if his body allowed him.

Maybe we never got over being robbed in 2016 a game that was as tied in the last but won by the umps

Bulldogs fans no doubt lurking enjoying us losing too like it makes up for their shit club can suck it
Yep im copping it on X from them . I wonder which place i'll get banned from today

Was hoping to wake up this morning and it was all a bad dream. Today I feel worse. Since I started supporting the club, I never thought they'd become the weak club. I can get over losing aslong as I know the team gave 100%. Unfortunately that's not a thing at Sydney anymore. Bloods culture is on life support.

Last edited:
What's a sports psychologist get paid in Sydney? $200k? Whatever it is, double it and find the best ****ing psychologist you can and look everywhere, don't stop at the Australian boarder, go as far over seas as you have to.
Our psychologist came from the same uni as our legal counsel clearly. Cornflakes packet university.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back