Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The years of our senior players:
Morris and Murphy - asked to do to much, battled manfully and had good years.
Griffen - injured, tried hard, had an average year to his standard understandably.
Boyd - tries hard but makes the same mistakes week after week, year in year out.
Minson, Cooney and Higgins - rubbish years, didn't try hard enough. All rightfully dropped at stages later in the year.

I don't know why the board went with the players and didn't stick with the coach. These guys didn't do enough, were quite rightfully told they didn't do enough and were told that the younger players are carrying them. It's just an incredibly weak decision that will set us back.

It says a lot about the senior players that a young guy like Macrae can be criticised publicly (when having a fantastic season) and can come out, admit he has things to work on and come out firing in following weeks while the senior players kick up a stink, go runaway to other clubs and want the coach gone, and still get there way.

Griffen can **** off, you know what they say "When the going gets tough, the weak go to Western Sydney". It's amazing how the legacies of Griffen and Cooney have absolutely decimated with their actions over the last few days/weeks. They'll get welcomed back one day but I hope they are shown the door and have no success.

Worst possible result that can occur out of this is that because we don't have a senior coach we just let Cooney, Minson and Griffen linger, not really wanting in or out but just festering the problem that they have caused this club. I don't care what we get for Cooney and Minson obviously I'd like picks 4 and 7 for Griffen and think its in the best interest of both teams to give us some really nice picks.

I was disappointed by the Brownlow reference - it's an individual award in a team sport, and we've just had a coach resign who preached a team-first mantra.

Worrying

It was an attempt to pump his value. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't talk down an asset you are trying to sell.

Good leadership would have gone something like this.
1. Do internal review.
2. Identify ways to improve performance based on outcome of the review.
3. Implement plans for improvement.
4. (Here is the hard bit)......You stick to the FARKN plan.

Peter Gordon has admitted 1 of 2 things today.

1. His board totally screwed up the internal review and failed miserably to see what was actually going on. Heads need to roll if this is the case.

or

2. Didn't have either the guts to stick to their own plan when a few shadows appeared and/or didn't have any confidence in the plan that they themselves implemented on a few weeks ago.

He was a bit like a duck out of water today.....Saying he hopes that Griff shot a few pigs....WTF?
Saying that Grant should have won a brownlow....WTF?
He was almost pleading for Griff to stay, hopes he wins the brownlow playing for the Bulldogs............Here is a tip Peter, Ryan Griffen has to go. No if's buts or maybes.

I've always been a fan of Gordon and believe the club exists today largely because of him but geez I am thinking maybe he is not what I hoped in his second incarnation. I thought he had more courage than he has shown the last few days.
Yes, stick to the plan. Malthouse took ten years to win a flag at Collingwood. You think he would have put up with whinging players.

I found myself wondering if Leigh Matthews would ever consider a return to coaching. I want a legend of the game who the players have no choice but to respect who's a hard bastard.

Reckon I've lost the plot?

Yes. PF 1985. That is all.:mad:

fair enough, but dont suck up griffs arse and do a complete backflip ! Gordon should have categorically come out and said he will be traded !

Weak as piss !

And how would that help us in the trading process.
We have to show we have some hand in the negotiations !!

Saying we are happy for him to remain at the club is that hand.
Without that GWS can bend us over and take advantage.

And I understand why people are annoyed with Griffen - but simialr angst should be shown to Jones, Tutt, and Higgins and the faceless voices who also had a part in the decision. Trust me when I say Griffen was only the fact of discontent.

Clarko kicked out senior players who's name wasn't crawford. Hay, Thompson, Rawlings.....Even traded Croad. The club made tough calls and stuck the coarse.

He built a new culture with young players.

Sorry key thing there kicked players out not had players walk out, Macca lost a large portion of the playing group who chose to leave, Clarkson moved players on by his choice. Also Clarkson didn't have his captain want out.

end of the day point people are missing is Macca said himself he could not repair the rift that is simply saying he can't do his job

Sorry key thing there kicked players out not had players walk out, Macca lost a large portion of the playing group who chose to leave, Clarkson moved players on by his choice. Also Clarkson didn't have his captain want out.

end of the day point people are missing is Macca said himself he could not repair the rift that is simply saying he can't do his job

His captain was Richie Vandenberg.

Who wouldn't have got a VFL game elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

News out that it was NOT ONLY senior players that are unhappy.

Can't believe the carry on over this coach

Regardless of players that want out he was sh!t in nearly very aspect of his job

I don't know why the board went with the players and didn't stick with the coach.
I know his role at Geelong and Essendon was different but geez this bloke earned much respect from some very credentialed players. Scarlett, Mooney, Ling etc etc etc Bomber Thompson and more. I'd take their opinions over some of the sooks who have shown their hand the last few weeks.

So 41% with a relatively young squad vs 30%.

Just with some better tactics and team selection, Clarkson himself or Ken Hinkley probably would have won 41% with us over the past 3 years as well.

That "small" 10% difference over 3 years is what sets apart the great coaches from the mid-table coaches.

When you get a good squad, it's the difference between 60% and 50% (making finals and not). And when you get a great squad, that 10% in coaching is the difference between making and winning Grand Finals and losing prelims.

I disagree with the timing, but McCartney was never going to be a premiership coach. Losing Griffen and Higgins, possibly Cooney and Minson, IMO he was a dead man walking, looking at winning 5-6-7 games next year, possibly bringing his percentage down even further. Squads were in different stages, but by year 4 Clarkson's was up to 52% and included a premiership.

News out that it was NOT ONLY senior players that are unhappy.

Can't believe the carry on over this coach

Regardless of players that want out he was sh!t in nearly very aspect of his job

Now regardless of your opinion on macca, I think you're being ridiculous. At the very least he is a great development coach, and when he was hired, development was a huge selling point, therefore a large aspect of his job

The years of our senior players:
Morris and Murphy - asked to do to much, battled manfully and had good years.
Griffen - injured, tried hard, had an average year to his standard understandably.
Boyd - tries hard but makes the same mistakes week after week, year in year out.
Minson, Cooney and Higgins - rubbish years, didn't try hard enough. All rightfully dropped at stages later in the year.

Umm, so Minson had exactly the same back issue, but worse than Griffen, but you defend one and slag the other? And Cooney had a rubbish year? He'd be lucky to be walking in 5 years. Higgins did not have a rubbish year - he is a journeyman in a rubbish team.

I don't know why the board went with the players and didn't stick with the coach. These guys didn't do enough, were quite rightfully told they didn't do enough and were told that the younger players are carrying them. It's just an incredibly weak decision that will set us back.

It says a lot about the senior players that a young guy like Macrae can be criticised publicly (when having a fantastic season) and can come out, admit he has things to work on and come out firing in following weeks while the senior players kick up a stink, go runaway to other clubs and want the coach gone, and still get there way.

This, oh god, so much this.

I would like this part 1 million times if I could.

Our senior players are a bunch of spineless babies.

Now regardless of your opinion on macca, I think you're being ridiculous. At the very least he is a great development coach, and when he was hired, development was a huge selling point, therefore a large aspect of his job

"At the very least he is a great development coach,"

What great development did Macca do at our club? What great development did he do - anywhere? Saying it so, doesn't make it so.

A Hawthorn supporter I know said the following when I quizzed him about Vandenberg.

"He was Captain because he was the only one who had heart at the time."
Right now I'll take ticker over a shimmy.
It's what we lack

"At the very least he is a great development coach,"

What great development did Macca do at our club? What great development did he do - anywhere? Saying it so, doesn't make it so.

You have lost all credibility after this post.

Ignore list time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back