Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win... but how pivotal were those three goals either side of the 3/4 time siren that the umpires gifted us :eek:

That's why we need home finals.

The Porps one?

Was definitely a freebie - but there was also a period from the 5 minute mark of the second quarter, for about 15 minutes, the umpires were doing their best to get the Eagles back in it.

And Talia should almost be in AA discussions.

The Porps one?

Was definitely a freebie - but there was also a period from the 5 minute mark of the second quarter, for about 15 minutes, the umpires were doing their best to get the Eagles back in it.

And Talia should almost be in AA discussions.

The Sloane non holding, followed by the holding the ball over the boundary, and then the Thommo/Selwood in the back decisions had the crowd livid. Thing was I actually called it as soon as I saw the ball going in Selwoods direction. How those brothers manage to get the amount of frees they do is astonishing.

Smith reminds me so much of a young Goodwin, but with more speed.

He's game was shaky at times yesterday but he will be an outright star one day I reckon.

Yeah, probably a good comparison and will probably end up being a similar style player. Like Goodwin, he seems to be biding his time until he can finally put enough weight on to enter the midfield. Until then he'll have to spend most of his time as a flanker, similar to Goodwin.

Good win... but how pivotal were those three goals either side of the 3/4 time siren that the umpires gifted us :eek:

That's why we need home finals.

Yeah, up until that goal I was a little worried. We'd spend the entire quarter pretty much just bombing it forward hoping that Jenkins and our team of short people would be able to out mark Glass, McKenzie, Schofield and Waters. After this we seemed to realise that we had to be a little more crafty with our disposal into the forward 50 and suddenly the goals started to flow again.

That free kick was probably the moment that ended any hope WC may have had in winning the game.

Just finished watching the replay and the comments on Smith have been harsh. 3 poor kicks out of 21 disposals and none cost goals plus he saved a couple. Thoughts of dropping him and keeping Doughty is just wrong. He can also play midfield which he is more suited to anyway.
You were bagging Radar a couple of weeks back for a couple of poor kicks amongst a really good game. I'm guessing because Smith is younger that opinion is out the window now?

You were bagging Radar a couple of weeks back for a couple of poor kicks amongst a really good game. I'm guessing because Smith is younger that opinion is out the window now?
Was I? Are you sure? Or was I bagging Reilly for being beaten by his opponent, making errors and costing us goals? Did I actually even mention Reilly's kicking that game?

Before you try to be a smart arse you might want to have your facts straight.

Anyone know where I can buy tickets to the Matty Wright bandwagon?? :) loved his game.

Talia is fast becoming one of our most reliable players.

Cant wait to get the main man himself TEX back this week... will need him to 're-acquaint' himself with Harry Taylor ....!

The Porps one?

The Porps one, then the missed trip on Cox that Dangerfield goaled from. After 3/4 time VB got a soft push in the back and goaled as well.

Four goals became seven goals and it was over.

Jenkins was great around the ground today, I felt he had far more impact on the game than Naitanui despite the hit out difference.

What I really liked was that he successfully used the Mumford (and someone else earlier in the season that I forgot) tactic, and just threw himself not only into regular contests, but around the ground ruck contests, and used his physicality to bully Naitanui back into his shell. By playing, legally, at the man like that, it takes away his real strength in his leap. Kudos to Josh for winning his position so well.

Mentioned to my mate at the game how Jenkins looked to get body contact on NickNat in Ruck contests and NN tried his best to avoid it. It sems NN really does not like the.physical stuft in Ruck.

Just finished watching the replay and the comments on Smith have been harsh. 3 poor kicks out of 21 disposals and none cost goals plus he saved a couple. Thoughts of dropping him and keeping Doughty is just wrong. He can also play midfield which he is more suited to anyway.

just fyi - kickouts aren't counted as stats

Awesome game, topped off with getting to join in the circle to sing the club song with the boys!!! Yewwww!
this needs more attention!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that, at this point, Sydney play the best finals football style of play. I don't think they care much when they play away, they as us know that if your fair dinkum in this league you need to win the GF in Melbourne, so all you care about is just being there. I don't think hawthorn quite understand this.

But having said that, I believe that Hawthorn in Melbourne is a harsher prospect than Sydney in Sydney.

Well, that's why although we have the wood over them, I've always liked their attitude. Hawthorn are going to be bloody hard to face though if we do get them. I reckon with our run though, compared to Sydney's, we'll finish better than them if we can get through the next 2 weeks unscathed, especially next week. We've got a genuine chance of finishing first, which means we'll probs face Hawthorn or Collingwood first week.. just my humble opinion though

Someone should make a video of the first minute of the 2nd quarter. Hams gets tackled by Talia and replay shows Talias hand tackling Hams around the upper arm, to which Hams raises that arm into a chicken wing shape which forces Talias hand onto Hams upper shoulder. West Coast supporters wonder why they get called duckers and the like

i rewatched the first half today hen i had an hour to kill, just a small thing i was pleased with in the game was our ability to get an effective handball away when tackled. maybe it was a case of everyone being switched on, but we were super sharp in this area yesterday.

Well, that's why although we have the wood over them, I've always liked their attitude. Hawthorn are going to be bloody hard to face though if we do get them. I reckon with our run though, compared to Sydney's, we'll finish better than them if we can get through the next 2 weeks unscathed, especially next week. We've got a genuine chance of finishing first, which means we'll probs face Hawthorn or Collingwood first week.. just my humble opinion though

i mucked around on the Ladder Predictor today too and had us top:D (i took the liberty of tipping us to win every game....) then i had the Hawks second, sydney then collingwood. but i quickly realised it was a pretty pointless exercise though because theres some big games coming up amoungst top 8 teams.

What a beautiful day!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, we have at least 30 players who could be in our 22 come finals depending on form and fitness.

Whilst Callinan was quiet today, we placed much more emphasis on our forwards restricting the Eagles run out of defence. This included Callinan and Porplyzia as well as Petrenko. The lack of a marking target after Tippett went off also restricted Nutta's opportunities.

Whilst the Eagles won the rucks today, the fact that we won the clearances was a huge tick for Sauce. Wrighty played a fantastic game reducing Kerr's influence as well as finding a bit of the ball. This released VB to play more on the outside (VB and Sloaney were on the "wings" for most of the game) which adds another string to our bow.

I thought the criticism of Brodie Smith was over the top and he provides pace for our defence, along with D-Mac. Dogga was dogga, is it part of our new game plan to spoil the ball into the oppositions forward corridor. We also looked much better with the run of Andy Otten out of defence (19 possessions at 100% DE). Sam Shaw can play the same role as Dogga. He's quicker and is a better mark. Until Stiffy gets to a reasonable level of fitness he will leak goals in defence.

O.K. Bernie, I'm back on board, please do not break my heart again and what a great game by Dougie!!!

Finally, Brad Symes played a flawless game. No turnovers and the average length of his possessions was 3.2 metres. I was particularly impressed with the way he fooled the Eagles that he was going to roost one from 45 metres. Was I the only one that expected him to handball it off?

However, the person/s running the screen at the game reported it as a goal to Symes. Must have looked away at the crucial moment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back