Autopsy Toothless Bulldogs overcome Norf in a game not for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree completely - Gallagher's ability to close down space and to provide an outlet (even when he is not used) is priceless. He is aggressive at the ball and body and is brave. I watched yesterday live as well Chicken and was impressed by his presence and voice.

I also loved that Bulldog supporters around the ground got behind Rory Lobb. I saw him furtively look towards some of the voices in the crowd willing him on. Great stuff Bulldog supporters.
I don't think he'll leave. Why would you? He can be a multiple premiership player and tell his great grand kids that he did it with the legendary Hall of Famer Bont.

Kane Korns has made Clarko the topic of his Vol-Kano segment, by whacking him for suggesting that Cody Weightman played for the free kicks, said all the the frees were there, plus the one where the knuckle-dragging Corr, (my description) pushed him in the back in front of the umpire. He said that Clarko needs to be talking to his own players about their physicality. :oops:
Always said KC was a great judge of footy 🤥😬

Kane Korns has made Clarko the topic of his Vol-Kano segment, by whacking him for suggesting that Cody Weightman played for the free kicks, said all the the frees were there, plus the one where the knuckle-dragging Corr, (my description) pushed him in the back in front of the umpire. He said that Clarko needs to be talking to his own players about their physicality. :oops:

Kane Cornes = broken clock.

You know what they say about broken clocks.

Either Marra is carrying an injury and not able to perform to the standard required or he's just not able to perform to the standard required.

His first effort was lacklustre and his second effort was non-existent.
He's been like that all season, thinks he is better than everyone else, gets cheap goals, and is just plain lazy preferring the other Dogs players to do the hard work when the ball is on the ground.

While I made an earlier post critical of JUH, I'll now add one in his defence. Watching from L3 directly above the goals, during the last quarter as the ball was heading inside our F50 from the city side flank, he was in the square setting himself to lead. Corr was holding him with both arms. Not blocking, not just laying an arm across him (although he did that too in the tussle), just a straight out hold. The field umpire closest was watching, made to raise his whistle to his mouth, then changed his mind. Weightman came in and got between JUH and Corr, and tried to help out. Was 40-50m ahead of the ball, there would be vision of it, but it wasn't in play so not sure broadcasters or commentators would care. We had a less blatant one paid against Jones(?) earlier in the game. If that was Curnow, I doubt the umpire would have hesitated. The reason I hate umpires is their inability to apply consistency. I get they have an overlord intent on creating confusion with rule 'tweaks' throughout a season, but the ability to apply consistency by virtually the entire AFL umpiring group is a blight on the game.

And I'm just talking about within a game, even within a quarter. Don't get me started on consistency across a round, let alone a season!

Spigotts the lot of them, just like their self-pleasuring masters at AFL HQ.

Anyway, like others, I'll take the win and move on.

Winners win and losers piss and moan. Guess which camp North are in (not only the supporter base, even the coach got in on it).

It's always someone else's fault other than the team - usually the umpires.
I actually have a bit of time for Clarko but in the heat of the moment he is often a sore loser.

Straight after the 2016 semi he launched straight into the umps. It’s his one wood.

7 pages, with about 2 posts about Lobb in defence, Naughton's return, Jones playing well, and about 3 posts about Bont getting 20 contested touches.

17 posts slamming English and 28 posts about whether it's racist or not criticise Jamarra (with even the criticism itself being off the mark).

I would recommend posting a few thoughts about who played well and then to brew up a decaf coffee, put a dash of whatever liqueur of choice you want, and stream a movie on the streaming service of your choice. You'll feel better!
I praised Lobb and criticised JUH. Which bucket did you classify my post in?

But yes, your post highlights a truism of this forum. Negative topics always get more discussion.

Sanders grinds my gears the way he plays. He takes possession, then handballs to someone in a similar or worse position forcing them to make the play rather than doing it himself.
A good example is a passage of play where Libba won the ball and handballed it 10m forward to Sanders on his own. Sanders looked around, saw no one near him to lay it off to so waited for 35year old Libba to sprint past for the handball receive. As a player I would be filthy that Sanders doesn’t make the play. He plays hot potato and makes it someone else’s job to create the play. He plays like a coach in a training drill handballing it to the player and watching them take the game on or execute a play.

Sanders grinds my gears the way he plays. He takes possession, then handballs to someone in a similar or worse position forcing them to make the play rather than doing it himself.
A good example is a passage of play where Libba won the ball and handballed it 10m forward to Sanders on his own. Sanders looked around, saw no one near him to lay it off to so waited for 35year old Libba to sprint past for the handball receive. As a player I would be filthy that Sanders doesn’t make the play. He plays hot potato and makes it someone else’s job to create the play. He plays like a coach in a training drill handballing it to the player and watching them take the game on or execute a play.
He turns 180 degrees when he receives, always in the wrong direction and handballs short to a teammate under pressure. He needs to draw his opponent like Libba does, wait until he has a handball to a running teammate. He's getting better and finds the football. Will improve with time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also delusion 101 amongst so many Norf fans at the game yesterday, supposedly none of them would take Cody because of his diving, Paul Curtis already better etc….
But the flogs idolised Lindsay Thomas lol

He turns 180 degrees when he receives, always in the wrong direction and handballs short to a teammate under pressure. He needs to draw his opponent like Libba does, wait until he has a handball to a running teammate. He's getting better and finds the football. Will improve with time.
The best thing Sanders could do is model his game on Libba's. Sanders doesn't have the tools to be a breakaway mid and doesn't have much penetration on his kick. He will never be like Treloar, Richards, or Bont. He is an in-and-under mid with average pace and an average kick.

Apparently North will beat us later in the year if umpires are less biased and Wardlaw is available... 🤔
I guess if we make the same errors with turnovers in short kicks and poor conversion, and Naughton is rusty after a long lay-off, it might be a long-shot!
Surprisingly less whingeing across BF by North posters than at the actual game yesterday. The collective 'we are hard done by' was possibly the worst I've heard in a very long time (and that's including 2 Dogs supporters who sit in our area at home games who complain about umpiring from opening bounce to final siren, every game, win, lose or draw!).

No he grew up in Framlingham, a former Christian mission in the middle of a forest north of Warrnambool. In 'The Age' a few years back Framlingham was listed as the most deprived postcode in the state.

Marra went to the posh school because he's good at footy. His family didn't pay for it.

That would be a middle class life compared to an English working-class life. Cool story by the Age though.

AFL is the rugby union of Australian sport.

I think he’ll be a solid player but my concern is his pace with the game getting faster.

Initial reaction says he’s gone a bit too early but time will tell.

The best thing Sanders could do is model his game on Libba's. Sanders doesn't have the tools to be a breakaway mid and doesn't have much penetration on his kick. He will never be like Treloar, Richards, or Bont. He is an in-and-under mid with average pace and an average kick.
Not too concerned about his kicking, looked good to very good at U18 level.
I wish I could see more now,
I still have confidence it will come as he gets more comfortable at the level.

Apparently North will beat us later in the year if umpires are less biased and Wardlaw is available... 🤔
I guess if we make the same errors with turnovers in short kicks and poor conversion, and Naughton is rusty after a long lay-off, it might be a long-shot!
Surprisingly less whingeing across BF by North posters than at the actual game yesterday. The collective 'we are hard done by' was possibly the worst I've heard in a very long time (and that's including 2 Dogs supporters who sit in our area at home games who complain about umpiring from opening bounce to final siren, every game, win, lose or draw!).
No chance. We play at our home ground in the reverse fixture.

This idea that Weightman "plays" for free kicks is strange to me. He annoys opposition fans/players, so they want to take his head off. He's very crafty at tapping the ball forward or attacking the ball. He's gotten free kicks in the past in a dodgy manner by ducking/lifting shoulder/bending knees, granted, but I don't see how any of the free kicks yesterday were controversial. Other players would have also gotten those frees if they were tackled high or shoved in the back off the ball.

The game review in the HS called them "dubious". Just gunning for clicks. I don't see how Jackson Archer laying a high tackle is anything but Jackson Archer laying a high tackle...

Provided umpires don't lose their heads and continue to pay the free kicks that are there (as they were yesterday), this can only work to our advantage. Players playing because they dislike an opposition player rather than playing to ... win the game.

No chance. We play at our home ground in the reverse fixture.

Just an observation yesterday, nearly every game there is a person (most often, but not exclusively a younger person), tossing the coin. I like that aspect, whether they've won a competition or overcome/still battling personal adversity, it's a way for mere mortals to be directly engaged with at least the captains of each team. And those same captains, across the board, and regardless of who the guest coin tosser supports, are polite and acknowledge them.
No guest coin tosser yesterday. Not potting anyone for it, it just appeared something was missing. Pity, as it's something our game usually does well, acknowledging fans who after all are a large part of the fabric of the sport.

Anyhoo, no biggie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Toothless Bulldogs overcome Norf in a game not for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back