VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t wont to overact - but I will…

Is this the nail in coffin of any chance on playing on next year?
It should be. Charred to a crisp.

VFL watchers will have recognised a truth again today.

Playing VFL is not easy.

So many established AFL players look ordinary in that context.

Today we had 4 or 5 recognised AFL standard players on the pitch who looked very ordinary.

The lesson? When looking at kids going thru the VFL - remember that.

Don't dismiss them too soon. But ask what is their best attribute and where does that fit in with AFLream needs.

GFC have a policy of giving kids an early game or two in the ones because they have known for a decade or more that VFL output/ results do not equate to AFL potential. They are looking for two things:

Can they handle the atmosphere, and can they use the one wood when the opportunity arrives.

So where are we on Willis? I keep wanting more given he has a spark others don’t. But looking at his seasons average he just doesn’t get it enough? No excuses this year in terms of injury? Understand he plays a non-midfield more role so maybe possessions are not everything - but where are the BF family at in terms of another year to see?

1725105449245.png

So where are we on Willis? I keep wanting more given he has a spark others don’t. But looking at his seasons average he just doesn’t get it enough? No excuses this year in terms of injury? Understand he plays a non-midfield more role so maybe possessions are not everything - but where are the BF family at in terms of another year to see?

View attachment 2097774
I look at him forward and think he looks like a relentless contested mid parked on the wrong line of the team sheet. Then he plays midfield and provides nothing.

This was effectively his first year so I'd give him a second but I'll having him pencilled in for a 2025 delisting unless shown otherwise.

View attachment 2097774

He has something, but he needs to show it for longer periods

Based on the expected few exits, I'd be happy to see him given another year and see how much further he can develop now that he seems to be getting continuity to his game and hopefully a full summer under his belt

Cats will see plenty of retirements and de-listings
There may be as many as 5 AFL spots to fill
Who from the current VFL squad could step up?

Clark : Conway : O'Sullivan : Mullin : Knevitt :
Clohesy : O'Connor :

View attachment 2097774

Hes like foster-both do 2 or 3 things each game i like but they dont find the ball enough.
Id be happy to delist both but with 5 + retirements and parfitt etc they might get another year, we might not want extra list changes when we wont have early picks.

Conway will be a way back fitness wise.
Osullivans game i think will translate well but he needs to hit the weights and build strength. More 2026 onwards.
For next year the obvious players to step up from vfl to afl (given hardie and parfitt will be gone) are clohesy, clark and knevitt plus moc if he finds form again.

Doubt we'll see more than 2 from last week's eagles game plus Hawkins. Those 2 spots will be filled by smith and some other trade target leaving those blokes you mentioned to wither on the vine or ask for a trade this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didnt adapt to the conditions well especially with wind didnt change angles enough.

I thought clohesy and clark were good with their attack on the ball. Hardie was decent but him and parfitt both made critical errors even though they tried hard.

That was the best game ive seen osullivan play looks like an afl player just needs a bigger body.

Rohan was very disappointing. Murdoch too. As a team we were poor today.
Murdoch forgot about him, his papers are surely stamped.

Murdoch forgot about him, his papers are surely stamped.

Yeah hes back to GFL next year.
Hardie and parfitt will both go as will bews.
willis foster and jeka are the borderline ones.

Conway will be a way back fitness wise.
Osullivans game i think will translate well but he needs to hit the weights and build strength. More 2026 onwards.
For next year the obvious players to step up from vfl to afl (given hardie and parfitt will be gone) are clohesy, clark and knevitt plus moc if he finds form again.

Doubt we'll see more than 2 from last week's eagles game plus Hawkins. Those 2 spots will be filled by smith and some other trade target leaving those blokes you mentioned to wither on the vine or ask for a trade this year

There seems to be a tendency to underestimate VFL talent.
Some players perform better playing with skilled teammates.
Cats have a history of holding back less physically developed kids
Fast tracking talented kids is an excellent strategy and pays off
Zuthrie Holmes and Dempsey have performed better at AFL level
Players physical size matters less than speed, skill and smarts

More kids need to be tested to see if they can handle AFL pace.
Best way to determine talent from list cloggers to be delisted

There seems to be a tendency to underestimate VFL talent.
Some players perform better playing with skilled teammates.
Cats have a history of holding back less physically developed kids
Fast tracking talented kids is an excellent strategy and pays off
Zuthrie Holmes and Dempsey have performed better at AFL level
Players physical size matters less than speed, skill and smarts

More kids need to be tested to see if they can handle AFL pace.
Best way to determine talent from list cloggers to be delisted

Its not underestimating talent (you didnt read my post if you thought that) its underestimating physical strength endurance and readiness.
Guys like zuthrie and dempsey can play early with slight frames as those roles arent as physically demanding as ruck where you need to be more durable.
Conway and edwards et al are simply physically not ready to lead the ruck in 2025 which means realistically we are either putting sdk there or trading in a ruck who can play there round 1 next year.

Think O'Sullivan is at least another year away.
So was SDK once upon a time. It all comes down to what his role is.

If we're expecting him to be the general back there and playing on the #1 key forward then yeah, he's 1-2 years away.

If we've got a better midfield (likely with the proposed inclusions) pressure up the field, and he can slot into an interceptor role to get him started then he can easily play regularly next year.

That's the thing with youngsters. If they're not a Reid, Daicos, or Sheezel, their fortunes are largely determined by the players around them.

So was SDK once upon a time. It all comes down to what his role is.

If we're expecting him to be the general back there and playing on the #1 key forward then yeah, he's 1-2 years away.

If we've got a better midfield (likely with the proposed inclusions) pressure up the field, and he can slot into an interceptor role to get him started then he can easily play regularly next year.

That's the thing with youngsters. If they're not a Reid, Daicos, or Sheezel, their fortunes are largely determined by the players around them.
I think if COS spends enough time in the gym over the off season/Preseason i could see him surprising a few next year

COS will adapt to the position he is played
Good players use their assets to advantage
Don't wrestle is opponent is stronger... duh
Zuthrie played on stronger blokes and won.

My boy was 60mm taller and 6kg lighter
than Zuth and Ollie and played at 17yrs
Played on resting ruckmen and rovers.
Utility - played every position bar Midfield
Sent to opponent causing problem players
Moved forward in Q4 to swing the game
Regularly gave up height and weight
Relied on speed, agility and skill. 80% eff.

Midfield only position where strength crucial
Good player start elsewhere - Mid/ KP later
Will see more kids when Flag Window Shuts.

I think he can play as a loose interceptor but I wouldn't be asking him to defend anyone one on one too much
Can we play another loose interceptor when we already have Stewart and to a lesser extent Humphries playing that way? I think it contributes to why we get opened up so much when the other side gets a run on. It works brilliantly when the game is on our terms but when it turns.....

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back