VFL Report.

Remove this Banner Ad

The weekly VFL report was just posted, I won't copy the whole thing, but I'll quote some of the absolute best efforts, including Sidebottom and McCarthy who were especially brilliant early.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/83318/default.aspx

The VFL Magpies have earned a finals berth after a 76-point thumping over Frankston at Visy Park on Saturday afternoon.

Collingwood set the tempo early and established an eight goal lead in the first term. John McCarthy was brilliant collecting 10 possessions and kicking two goals in the first quarter of play.

The VFL Magpies coasted through the ensuing two terms before a seven-goal burst in the final quarter blew out the margin to 12 goals.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/83318/default.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Standout Players;

3. John McCarthy (14k, 12h, 3m, 2g, 7t): Really encouraging effort. Outstanding start to the game with 10 possessions and two goals. Set us up.
18. Marty Clarke (9k, 9h, 4m, 6t): Another strong running game mostly off the wing and set us up in transition with his ball use.

20. Ben Reid (14k, 12h, 5m, 1t): Outstanding first half with 18 possessions in the first half from halfback. Linking up on numerous occasions.

22. Steele Sidebottom (18k, 12h, 4m, 1g, 11t): Outstanding again. Our best. Defensively was very impressive.

23. Anthony Rocca (15k, 5h, 8m, 2g, 2t): Probably would have liked to kick one or two more but another solid game from Anthony.

29. Ryan Cook (13k, 15h, 11m, 1g, 2t): Terrific. Played mostly forward. His ball use was generally very good. Really lively at half forward.
31. Chris Dawes (11k, 6h, 7m, 2g, 4t): Showed a fine example of how to deal with omission. Played a strong game up around half forward and pinch hit in the ruck.
40. Chris Bryan (18k, 8h, 10m, 2g, 5t): Influential in the ruck for most of the day and led the way in our midfield structures.

I thought McCarthy and Reid were the standouts. Sidebottom started like a house on fire and ended strongly as well, but I didn't notice him as much in between -- would be interesting to know what his quarter-by-quarter possession breakdown was.

Dawes was good from limited opportunities, and Scott Reed did two or three very nice things -- he's raw, but there's a bit to work with. Was a bit mystified as to why Nate Brown was playing as a forward, but thought he was reasonable. Marty was also reasonable -- and I'd be playing him in the seniors -- but he didn't play the sort of game that gives the match committee no option but to pick him.

McCarthy is the interesting one. I'd pretty much discounted him as a selection possibility this year: didn't do a proper preseason and has been injury-struck throughout the season. Just doubted that he'd be able to get the kms into his legs that he'd need to play senior footy, particularly at the pointy end of the season. But he moved very well on Saturday -- and at times was just a class above. With the form of Dick and Wellers on Sunday, JMac may still be a chance. Reckon he'd probably have to play this week though. Think it's unlikely that they'd bring him in for his first game in a final.

Interesting times.

Forget Reid, Cook and Bryan. They won't get a game again this year.

Only the others are in for a shot at all.

I think Reid should be considered still, has the mobility to play on Buddy in the event that we play the Hawks in the finals. From all reports has been going well in the backline in the VFL. I think the last game against the Hawks showed Presti, as much as I love him, dosen't have the mobilty to follow Buddy up the field. Could possible play on Roo against the Saints as well

I think Reid should be considered still, has the mobility to play on Buddy in the event that we play the Hawks in the finals. From all reports has been going well in the backline in the VFL. I think the last game against the Hawks showed Presti, as much as I love him, dosen't have the mobilty to follow Buddy up the field. Could possible play on Roo against the Saints as well

We cannot play Ben Reid only if we come up against buddy, unlikely to happen and not even remotely good enough reason to play him. Due to his inexperience as tall defender at afl level Buddy would carve him up. Reid will be a very good player but in terms of tall defenders N Brown would be next inline for a call up IMO. Also a lack of midfield pressure allowed buddy heaps of time and space last time, any defender would have struggled on that occasion let alone presti.

Surely Chris Bryan could play out his career in the VFL? I mean, he clearly ain't gonna get a gig in the seniors but to delist him and cut him loose when he's racking up stats like that would be silly. Get him on the VFL list for a year or two. Interesting that his stats were a little bit better than Rocca's.

McCarthy would be a chance this weekend if we rest someone (O'Bree? Lockyer?) as he'd hopefully contribute just as much as whoever had a rest. But as everyone's been saying, do not flirt with form! Unless someone is injured we shouldn't make any changes. Except L.Brown out. That is always recommended, but never done.

We cannot play Ben Reid only if we come up against buddy, unlikely to happen and not even remotely good enough reason to play him. Due to his inexperience as tall defender at afl level Buddy would carve him up. Reid will be a very good player but in terms of tall defenders N Brown would be next inline for a call up IMO. Also a lack of midfield pressure allowed buddy heaps of time and space last time, any defender would have struggled on that occasion let alone presti.

Point taken, I just feel that Ben Reid is more in the mould of a Franklin, physically, then N Brown is and should be developed to play on these types of players where as N Brown can play on the bigger stronger, Fev J Brown, type of players.

Agree with the assesment that nobody could have stopped Buddy with the delivery last game.

I think it is clear why we are playing Nathan Brown in the forwardline...

We know he has mastered defence in the twos, let's train him to have the versatility to go forward as well. This is probably part of the reason as why he is in the two's and Leigh is in the ones - Leigh offers more versatility.

Imagine next year when we don't have a matchup for both him and Presti - we can shift him forward as an extra marking option.

I think it is clear why we are playing Nathan Brown in the forwardline...

We know he has mastered defence in the twos, let's train him to have the versatility to go forward as well. This is probably part of the reason as why he is in the two's and Leigh is in the ones - Leigh offers more versatility.

Imagine next year when we don't have a matchup for both him and Presti - we can shift him forward as an extra marking option.

And Rusling playing down back with McCaffer and Ried.

I like the versatility that we are building into our players, and that includes not just KP players.

To be able to shift our players around at will is a great attribute - a la Didak, Leon, Lockyer, Thomas etc is fantastic.

Thought Rusling looked very rusty, which is to be expected. No chance of him playing this year IMO.

Palmer, obviously sounds like you were at the game, certainly the Rus "experiment' across Half-Back is purely just for him to have a run around and build some sort of fitness and confidence leading into the next pre-season?

Did he have any stints inside the forward 50?

The best thing i heard out of all of that was Sidebottom was very good again defensively he will be in this week for Wellingham defence wins finals front runners dont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Palmer, obviously sounds like you were at the game, certainly the Rus "experiment' across Half-Back is purely just for him to have a run around and build some sort of fitness and confidence leading into the next pre-season?

He played most of the last quarter inside the forward 50

The best thing i heard out of all of that was Sidebottom was very good again defensively he will be in this week for Wellingham defence wins finals front runners dont

He plays a different game at VFL level, far more attacking.
In the AFL he is more defensive, maybe its just the difference in the way the Coaches use him.
But he will be a very good player after a solid preseason next year.

I would think so -- suspect they just want Rus to play some footy, and they like the idea of easing him in across HB. I don't see much future in Rusling across HB in the medium to long term. Personally, I don't think he has much idea, or future, anywhere but deep inside forward 50.

Yes, he did go forward in the second half, but would've been a fairly brief stint, I reckon. I suspect that our forward setup in the VFL is very much focused on Dawes and Rocca because they're potentially parts of our September forward line, whereas this year Rusling would be a long, long shot IMO. So Ruzza perhaps gets squeezed out of his preferred position -- for the remainder of this season anyway.

Has J-Mac commanded a position across HF/wing? :O

Saturday was the best J-Mac has played this year, although Sidebottom played better.

I wonder whether MM would give J-Mac a season debut in September, because I can't see too many changes this week.

Dick, Wellingham - Out

Sidey, McCarthy - In

Only because Malthouse talked J-Mac up so much and said if he was fit he would almost certainly play..

Would love to see those changes though, think both can offer more than the other two at this stage..

Wellingham will be great, just needs to find consistency.
Dick looked down on confidence, we can't be carrying these players into finals. It is a big weight to carry.

Sidenote, Woods attack on the ball Sunday was the best i had ever seen from him.. I guess the pressure is on for him to keep his spot, hope he does. He deserves it. IMO will be a great ruckman one day as soon as he puts a few kilos on..

No chance are Wellingham and Dick going to get dropped.

1, Wellingham didn't even deserve to be dropped, so I'm guessing he was being rested before finals, and his form on the weekend was well above the standards of others in the side.

2, Dick is being primed for finals, and theres no way he'll be dropped unless he shows some reeeeeally bad form. MM understands we need his forward line pressure in finals to win a Premiership, so he won't be going anywhere.

BUT...

3, Sidebottom's form warrants selection, but at whos expense? I also believe J-Mac is on the verge too, but seriously, we've got no-one to really drop.

I like Wellingham, but he was ordinary against Sydney IMO. Dick caused the Swans some headaches and got to dangerous spots, but bloody hell he was fumbly.

Personally, I'd leave Dick and Wellingham in the side.

Wellingham was far from ordinary, he is becoming as integral to the midfield as any of our B-class mids behind the Swans, Pendleburys and Didaks.

Only change that needs to happen is:

IN: Rocca
OUT: Brown

There is no obvious match up for Brown (as we saw last time) and Rocca has a great record against the Dogs.

At worst, he'll keep Lake of Jack's back.

I saw Wellingham tie O'Keefe up in a few good tackles on the weekend.

I think his tackling will be very handy come September.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back