What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not from the media but it does fall under ’what they are saying about us’...
Just read the game preview thread on North’s board and it’s very interesting. We are obviously rated highly by opposition supporters when they are posting stuff like this and getting over 30 likes:
“Watched their game against Geelong. These guys are the closest thing to the Harlem Globetrotters in the AFL.
Apart from their bottom two or three players, every one of them is confident with ball in hand, even under pressure.
One of the reasons for this confidence is that they know a teammate will present for the get-out handball. Almost every time.
Bounce passes, over the head passes, shimmies, they do the whole lot. Almost their whole team can and does do this stuff.

In a few days time, we may see a moment when Bontempelli is spinning the ball on his fingers while breaking one, two, three consecutive tackles from Macmillans, then kicks a goal from 50 off three steps.”

It’s not from the media but it does fall under ’what they are saying about us’...
Just read the game preview thread on North’s board and it’s very interesting. We are obviously rated highly by opposition supporters when they are posting stuff like this and getting over 30 likes:
“Watched their game against Geelong. These guys are the closest thing to the Harlem Globetrotters in the AFL.
Apart from their bottom two or three players, every one of them is confident with ball in hand, even under pressure.
One of the reasons for this confidence is that they know a teammate will present for the get-out handball. Almost every time.
Bounce passes, over the head passes, shimmies, they do the whole lot. Almost their whole team can and does do this stuff.

In a few days time, we may see a moment when Bontempelli is spinning the ball on his fingers while breaking one, two, three consecutive tackles from Macmillans, then kicks a goal from 50 off three steps.”
They're right about Bont!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DOGS, TOO SEXY FOR THE KANGAS

AFL NEWS

Which AFL clubs are playing the sexiest brand of football in 2019?

SAM D, Herald Sun

May 23, 2019 7:15pm

Scoring is the lowest in half a century and the skills are woeful.

There’s been controversial umpiring decisions, umpire abuse and the match review process has been described as “chook lotto”.

So what better time could there be to launch the Sexy Awards.
Let’s park the negatives for a moment and take the time to acknowledge the teams that

Heck, let’s even forget ladder positions and tip our lid to those playing in a way that gets the heart pumping.

Because even when it’s a bad movie year there’s still an Oscars.

The Sexy Awards have five criteria to determine the AFL’s best eye candy.

Defensive 50 to inside 50 ball movement, how often a team plays on from a mark, whether they use the corridor, scores per inside 50 and the average score in their games.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADIEU, THE NOMINEES ARE:

The Western Bulldogs may only sit 12th at 4-5, but no team takes the ball from defence to attack in an uninterrupted possession chain as often as Luke Beveridge’s boys.

No one likes stoppages and no one likes turnovers, so the Dogs get a nomination.
Yes, Melbourne is enduring the season from hell, but they play on from a mark (34.2 per cent of the time) more often than any rival. We like run and dare so the Dees get a tick.

North Melbourne is 17th with only two wins, but they take the corridor out of defence more often than anyone else. We like teams who run the gauntlet so the Roos have also been shortlisted.
Yet there’s a trend developing here isn’t there? The teams who are easiest on the eye are also among the easiest to play against.

And for those critical of the state of the game, this is perhaps the most alarming point.

In 2019, exciting football isn’t successful football.

“You don’t need to be attractive, you just need to win. Winning is the beautiful bit,” Fox Footy’s Leigh Montagna said.

“At the moment, boring is effective.”
Consider Geelong. The Cats get a Sexy Awards nomination because they score from an inside 50 a league-high 49.6 per cent of the time.

That’s despite the Cats playing on from a mark the least of any side (18.7 per cent), taking the corridor the least often (9.1 per cent) and also ranking last in defensive 50 to inside 50 possession chains.

Yet the efficiency of the Cats’ entries to a high functioning forward line is helping keep them atop the AFL ladder, despite a game style up the ground that won’t exactly blow your hair back.

In a copycat industry, don’t expect this to be turned on its head anytime soon.

Then there’s the Brisbane Lions, with Chris Fagan’s effervescent bunch getting our final nomination.

The Lions aren’t that keen on defending, but they rank fourth in scoring.

The average score in a Brisbane game is 180.3 — nearly 10 points more than nearest challenger, Geelong.

Results

Who plays the sexiest brand of footy in the AFL?

Geelong

33%

Western Bulldogs

22%

Melbourne

7%

North Melbourne

7%

Brisbane

28%

639 Voters

“The Cats are one of the slowest teams in the competition at moving the ball, but they’re just so good going inside 50 with finding a mark and kicking goals that they’re winning,” Montagna said.

“Sydney made boring sexy back in 2005-2006, and we did the same in 2009 and 2010.

“But who cares when you’re winning? No one does.”

So there are the four nominations with still three months of material still to come. Over to you, coaches.

The Sexy Awards Nominees

DEFENSIVE 50 TO INSIDE 50Western Bulldogs 27.8% North Melbourne 24.3% GWS Giants 22.9%

MARK PLAY ONMelbourne 34.2% Carlton 30% Essendon 28.7%

PLAYING THROUGH THE CORRIDORNorth Melbourne 21.9% Port Adelaide 21.7% Adelaide 20.7%

SCORES PER INSIDE 50Geelong 49.6% GWS Giants 49.1% Collingwood 46.5%

AVERAGE MATCH SCOREBrisbane Lions 180.3 Geelong 170.6 North Melbourne 170.1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Playing group will miss having him around the group, but they are happy because he is happy with his call.
It was more detailed than that and very respectful and full of honour.
I Think your stand on bevo is unfair he wears his heart in his sleeve and said what a lot of our supporters are feeling . Maybe it was the wrong time but that’s the way he felt at the time.

I read that the other day, proper laughed out loud. I won't lie, I did imagine such scenario playing out also.

I Think your stand on bevo is unfair he wears his heart in his sleeve and said what a lot of our supporters are feeling . Maybe it was the wrong time but that’s the way he felt at the time.
Look Bazza28 I don't have a stand on Bevo as a thirty seven year veteran of depression, I understand and admire
the courage and sacrifice that Tom Boyd making his call took and if I had a stand it would be for Tom Boyd in this
case. I felt there was enough positivity there to not mention Damien Barrett because it was about the noble
sacrifice of Tom Boyd or should have been, most media did not show or cut out his comments which was good.
Dale Morris emphasised the heading for the sunlight which may have prompted the odd tear from me, but they
were happy tears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posting here so the flog doesn’t get the clicks.

[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]Barrett: The 40-year drought Dogs don't want to break

[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]DAMIAN BARRETT[/COLOR] MAY 26, 2019[/COLOR]

LUKE Beveridge's Western Bulldogs are sliding toward an historically inglorious slump.
Only once in the past 40 years has a team failed to make finals in the three seasons which followed a premiership – Hawthorn after its 1978 success.
After [COLOR=var(--link-hover-color)]Saturday's loss to North Melbourne[/COLOR] at Marvel Stadium, the Bulldogs slumped to a 4-6 scoreline.
They have lost to North, Gold Coast and Carlton this year, which upon entry to round 10, occupied the bottom three places on the ladder.
While the 2019 season is not yet a write-off, it seems headed for another non-finals finish. There are problems everywhere, particularly in the forward line.
The Bulldogs team against North contained 10 2016 premiership players. Player behaviour was a major concern post-premiership, and Beveridge chose to trade Jake Stringer out just one season later.
Inclusive of 1978, Hawthorn finished top three in five consecutive seasons. It won premierships in 1976 and 1978, then missed finals for three seasons, before beginning another glorious era with another top-three placing in 1982.
The Bulldogs play West Coast at Optus Stadium next Sunday.

Yeah nothing wrong with that from Barrett, for a change. Personally hoping him & Bevo will just completely ignore each other for the rest of eternity, as they clearly won’t let bygones be bygones & move on.

Yeah nothing wrong with that from Barrett, for a change. Personally hoping him & Bevo will just completely ignore each other for the rest of eternity, as they clearly won’t let bygones be bygones & move on.
Nothing wrong with the words, sure. But the fact he is still writing about Bev and the dogs is baiting and petulant.

He’s not wrong in most of what he said but the Stringer mention and player behaviour Big was a bit of a whack. Pretty shallow article though. Forward line a worry? In what way? Have averaged 92 points last month. Scoring OK - well above the average against Geelong in Geelong - but our defensive pressure there is non existent in our losses, which along with the horrendous turnovers putting pressure on our undersized defence is currently a far bigger issue than just a blanket “forward line is a worry”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAT-TURNED-BULLDOG Ryan Gardner has no regrets about the way he committed himself in his first AFL life, but his departure taught him plenty.

Gardner's delisting last year – after three seasons at Geelong without playing a senior game – forced him into a crash-course in what life's like away from the AFL bubble.

MEET YOUR NEW PLAYERS Who are they? What do the bring to the table?

The 21-year-old key-position player juggled three jobs until the Western Bulldogs threw him an AFL lifeline in Monday night's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

RGKDPC280519DB0184.jpg

He worked at a bar, for a steam-cleaning business and in a warehouse, but can leave them all behind now he is a full-time footballer again.

"It was a bit of an eye-opener, because I went from obviously being in school, straight onto an AFL list, so it was a bit of an eye-opener to be in the working world," Gardner told reporters on Tuesday.

It still feels surreal and to be giving myself an opportunity is pretty incredible and I just have to make sure now that I do everything I can to get my chance, hopefully, at AFL level - Ryan Gardner​
"Just to have to do that kind of stuff, then go and train and try and play football (was tough), so looking at it now, I'm definitely going to do a lot more study and try and give myself the best crack for after footy as well."

Gardner had no guarantees when he signed for the Bulldogs' VFL side Footscray in the period after his delisting, but saw an opportunity on a list short on genuinely tall players.

At 197cm, the Tasmanian product will contend for positions at either end of the ground for Luke Beveridge's team.

Ryan Gardner playing for Geelong in the VFL in 2018. Picture: AFL Photos
rgV6CoGe18RP0690.jpg

"I'm thinking at the moment I need to play all types of different positions … so that's the kind of mindset I'm going in with," he said.

"I might have to play forward, I might have to play back and I need to be open to playing everywhere, so I just have to hone in on all types of craft and just be ready to go at any end.

"It still feels surreal and to be giving myself an opportunity is pretty incredible and I just have to make sure now that I do everything I can to get my chance, hopefully, at AFL level."

Gardner wasn't the only Footscray VFL footballer to earn an AFL shot on Monday night, with midfielder-forward Kyle Dunkley joining his Bulldogs-listed brother Josh on an AFL list.

Melbourne selected the 18-year-old with the third choice in the draft, making him the third Dunkley to be on an AFL list, with his father Andrew playing 217 matches for Sydney.

MID-SEASON ROOKIE DRAFT Blues reveal No.1 pick, Swans swoop on ruckman

His sister and housemate, Lara, also plays netball for the Melbourne Vixens, with the two of them living with Josh in Kew, an inner suburb of Melbourne.

"We have three teams under the same roof (now), so it's pretty full-on," Dunkley said.

View image on Twitter

Callum Twomey

@CalTwomey

https://twitter.com/CalTwomey/status/1132935159752167424

Pleasure to see Kyle Dunkley get his chance at AFL level. Family rapt. Starting at the Dees tomorrow.

7:02 PM - May 27, 2019

See Callum Twomey's other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

"It's really good, because you do learn how you have to live to be a professional athlete and having Josh and Lara to learn off, it's been perfect.

"I've been living with them only since the start of this year, just because I was at boarding school before that … but having them to live with and learn off is amazing."

Dunkley had his official Demons introduction early on Tuesday morning and attention has already turned to whether he can break into the senior side in time to face Josh in round 17.

"It'll be interesting but we'll just have to see," he said of a potential on-field match-up with Josh.

"It's something we'll look forward to and it'd be nice to play against him, but we'll wait and see what happens."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back