What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Intention ? What's the difference between a bloke who drops knees/ raises an arm to
(a) escape a tackle; or
(b) attract a free

?

Good luck trying to second address Umpires, Ned Kelly got it wrong, too.
Not sure why people keep saying this, it doesn’t matter if you drop knees/raise an arm to escape a tackle or attract a free - intention is irrelevant, if you do that you forfeit your right for a “high” free and you’ve had your “prior” and have to dispose of the footy legally or receive a free against.

The ump doesn’t have to interpret intent, they just have to decide whether you committed a duck/shrug etc

It was reasonably well officiated from the small amount of footy I watched this weekend I thought

Suspensions?

Was that the game were several of our players were fined or had some type of sanctions hanging over them for some rule “intimidating another player” that Collins used ?

I think the week after we played the Hawks and they started wrestling knowing players had possible suspension hanging over them and Danny Southern got suspended for wrestling as a result of West Coast game and Hawks game

We went straight into prelim and Danny hadn’t played for a month then got injured

I think this is the case

Suspensions?

Yeah...Billy got two weeks for retaliasting on P Matera, who squealed on him at the tribunal ("it didn't break my jaw, but it could have'' :mad: )

No way do we kick no goals in the last quarter of the PF with him in the side!

He played in the twos on PF day, not sure why. Starred.

BTW, that was the only quarter of the year in which we didn't kick a goal :huh:

I also thought we had the Saints covered that year.

Was that the game were several of our players were fined or had some type of sanctions hanging over them for some rule “intimidating another player” that Collins used ?

I think the week after we played the Hawks and they started wrestling knowing players had possible suspension hanging over them and Danny Southern got suspended for wrestling as a result of West Coast game and Hawks game

We went straight into prelim and Danny hadn’t played for a month then got injured

I think this is the case
See my above post, D36.

Daniel Southern amd Paul Dimattina got rubbed out in the Hawks game.
Neither of them played in the PF.

See my above post, D36.

Daniel Southern amd Paul Dimattina got rubbed out in the Hawks game.
Neither of them played in the PF.

Where they suspended or not selected as they had not played a game in a month ?

Where they suspended or not selected as they had not played a game in a month ?

Both played in the WCE and Hawthorn games, but were suspended in the Hawks game. From memory Dimma got a week and Southern two. Was pretty unfair, given that the Hawks players came out on the attack. What were they supposed to do - stand there and cop it?
I remember seeing footage of the two of them immediately after the siren in the PF. They were sitting in the stand, arm-around-the-shoulder, crying together :(

Also, Westy was jumped on by 3 Hawks players. Somehow, he was reported and they weren't. The League (Collins, actually) had it in for the Dogs back then.
Reference Grant's suspension - at that time, he was the only player ever suspended without being reported by an umpire.

Last edited:
Both played in the WCE and Hawthorn games, but were suspended in the Hawks game. From memory Dimma got a week and Southern two. Was pretty unfair, given that the Hawks players came out on the attack. What were they supposed to do - stand there and cop it?
I remember seeing footage of the two of them immediately after the siren in the PF. They were sitting in the stand, arm-around-the-shoulder, crying together :(

Also, Westy was jumped on by 3 Hawks players. Somehow, he was reported and they weren't. The League (Collins, actually) had it in for the Dogs back then.
Reference Grant's suspension - at that time, he was the only player ever suspended without being reported by an umpire.
I recall Dimma got two. That one stood out for me, he just tapped the guy in the stomach. :(

Yeah...Billy got two weeks for retaliasting on P Matera, who squealed on him at the tribunal ("it didn't break my jaw, but it could have'' :mad: )

Adelaide were the better team. Simple. Despite the Bulldogs being 22 points up half way through the last quarter, and more than five goals up at HT, I feel Adelaide would have been stiff to lose. They had eight more scoring shots than us.

There's just that incisive touch of bitterness that's almost as devouring as that between the 2 major political parties. Captured decisively. Well crafted, GDB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide were the better team. Simple. Despite the Bulldogs being 22 points up half way through the last quarter, and more than five goals up at HT, I feel Adelaide would have been stiff to lose. They had eight more scoring shots than us.
Can't buy that entirely. I think basically whoever wins is the better team 'on the day'. But there are multiple games every year where lower teams beat teams higher on the ladder who are 'better teams' so it doesn't always follow that the winners are better teams full stop. We could have won easily if we hadn't stuffed up.

Can't buy that entirely. I think basically whoever wins is the better team 'on the day'. But there are multiple games every year where lower teams beat teams higher on the ladder who are 'better teams' so it doesn't always follow that the winners are better teams full stop. We could have won easily if we hadn't stuffed up.
We could have won, sure, but it doesn't change my view that Adelaide were the better team.

Had Grant managed to score a goal at the death to give us back the lead, it wouldn't have changed my view that Adelaide were the better team.

LOL!!! Madman!

wwElHEMf.jpg

Pfffst. No Jugle mention. Oh well, happy for him to build his own profile with footy in hand.

Scroll down for all of Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from round 19.

Luke Beveridge is a brave, creative and intriguing coach who, more than any other coach, is prepared to swing the magnets on his team board. It’s funny how many times he makes a move, is criticised in the media and among fans for it, only for the player to excel in his new position. Essendon great Kevin Sheedy was lauded for demanding his players to be versatile, but the same accolades are not layered on Beveridge. That has to change. The Bulldogs’ grand final back seven was Alex Keath, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood, Bailey Williams and Taylor Duryea. On Saturday night, it was Keath, Dale, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis, Ed Richards, Adam Treloar and Mitch Hannan. Only two players – Keath and Dale – are the constants. Form and injury has hurt the defensive group, but the coach still has to find defenders, still has to instil confidence and synergy, and, against the Demons anyhow, still had to back in an inexperienced group to shut down the premiers. Of them, Richards has developed into a promising defender. He can intercept, he can attack and he played on Kozzie Pickett on Saturday, who was fresh off six goals in Alice Springs. I don’t know about Adam Treloar’s defensive instincts, but he’s there to create in Caleb Daniel’s absence. Buku Khamis also is promising and Mitch Hannan might be the surprise of the lot of them. He’s played as a mid-sized forward all of his career, but has played defence for the past three weeks. If magnet tossing was a sport, Beveridge could represent Australia.

[PLAYERCARD]Ed Richards[/PLAYERCARD] beats [PLAYERCARD]Kysaiah Pickett[/PLAYERCARD] to the ball. Picture: Mark Stewart

Ed Richards beats Kysaiah Pickett to the ball. Picture: Mark Stewart

5. Gawn v English

The coaches’ votes on Monday will be intriguing because the Max Gawn–Tim English contest on Saturday night was the best contest between two ruckmen this season. Gawn won on the stats sheet, but English also was enormous, and his running goal in the third quarter from 50m out was the standout moment in a batch of high quality moments from him. When they were opposed in the ruck, Gawn slaughtered English in the tap-outs, but the Bulldogs won the clearances 26-20. It was a crazy clearance game because the centre square number was Melbourne +7 and they kicked six goals from those seven clearances. The Dogs were required to work tirelessly outside the centre square to wrestle back control. Crazy again that the Bulldogs didn’t kick a goal from the centre bounce, but outside of that area, they kicked 52 points to Melbourne’s 15 points from clearance. Make sense? It was an amazing game.

If only we could bottle the reaction from Ed Richards after that last Jamarra goal, then inject every player with it before they run out next week.

If only we could bottle the reaction from Ed Richards after that last Jamarra goal, then inject every player with it before they run out next week.

If I could capture anything in a bottle to feed the players, it would be Easton Woods pregrame rev ups from the 2016 finals series. No idea what he was saying but I could tell by the intensity by which he was screaming that it would have gotten the boys fired up.

If I could capture anything in a bottle to feed the players, it would be Easton Woods pregrame rev ups from the 2016 finals series. No idea what he was saying but I could tell by the intensity by which he was screaming that it would have gotten the boys fired up.
"Ok listen up, you chaps. Potato-head Murphy is injured, and you are now lucky enough to be led by (allegedly as I am too modest to claim it myself) the handsomest captain in Australian Rules history. They also tell me my calves and quads are enormous. If we win this flag, you can all touch them. Now remember - SALTY DOGS! SALTY DOGS! Rrrraaaaarrrrrggghhhhhh"

r0_0_2029_3000_w2029_h3000_fmax.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back