What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Article in todays paper over in the West from Emma O'Driscoll, Aidens sister.

She explains in it how Bulldogs have given Aiden a job with the community department at the club and are also helping him earn his coaching badges

Legendary stuff from the club really. Setting the standard and going this far for the young guy who didnt even play a game says alot about the strong culture the club has.

Sometimes its the off the field and little things that should make someone proud to support the club they do
Great news, bit of an aside, I saw many, me included, concerned that one concussion incident ended his AFL career. I wonder if there were pre-AFL incidents that we are not aware of?

Great news, bit of an aside, I saw many, me included, concerned that one concussion incident ended his AFL career. I wonder if there were pre-AFL incidents that we are not aware of?

The brain is a tender beast.

Google the story about Prichard Colón, from promising boxer to a wheelchair after a fight. Still with no ability to speak.

Harris Andrews drops it like a hot cake. Melbourne’s pressure is on

Here come the Western Bulldogs.

The mighty men from Footscray have won five of their last seven matches. This run has included impressive wins over the Magpies, Dockers and Giants, despite significant challenges with missing personnel. It could have been six wins, had they not suffered in-game injuries to Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Tony Scott in the narrow defeat to Sydney.

And now, with virtually their entire list available, there is an enormous and exciting opportunity ahead, that would have Bulldogs' fans salivating.

To simplify things, 13 wins guarantees finals. The Bulldogs are currently on eight wins and therefore need to claim victory in five of the last eight rounds.

Whilst every match is challenging, the Dogs will enter games against Adelaide and North Melbourne as heavy favorites. As serious contenders, they must win both. They also take on Geelong, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and GWS - all who have big question marks over their form and credentials. Win three of those and the finals are certain.

While the Dogs could drop their other two games against Sydney and Carlton, they are certainly capable of upsetting either of those, on their day.

So where has this renaissance come from?

The form of their 'Rolls Royce', Marcus Bontempelli has been instrumental to their purple patch. The Skipper has somehow elevated his status, and has no peers in his class division across the league.

But to single out The Bont, would be to discredit the dominance and importance of Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae and Richards. That foursome have played a critical support role to the Captain, and must take credit for the supply to their forwards, which have the Bulldogs in the top three scoring teams in the competition.

Up forward, they have three of the most exciting talls going around. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has superstardom at his doorstep, Naughton's return has defenders quivering and Sam Darcy is emerging as a young master. At their heels, Cody Weightman and Rhylee West have shown their scoreboard craft and an ability to challenge opponents aerially also.

The 'Dogs have been screaming for greater stability in their backline, and Luke Beveridge may have masterminded another unlikely positional change that could pay major dividends. Following Bevo's much-lauded move to inject Richards into the engine room, he may have engineered another critical piece to the puzzle, after the performance of Rory Lobb in defence against the Kangaroos. Lobb combined with Liam Jones to clunk 18 marks and have 21 intercepts, in an ominous warning to opposition forwards. His athleticism, closing speed and physical frame, have caused the experts to re-think their assessment of the much-maligned big man.

To make things more appetising, Norm Smith Medalist Jason Johannisen will be available for selection this week. His run and carry will compliment the Dogs' slingshot style which will trouble most teams in September.

Speed has been a major focus since last year's review of the Football Department, conducted by Peter Jackson. The Bulldogs have opted for a more fleet-footed outfit, which has seen emergence of Lachie Bramble and Harvey Gallagher, while jets Bailey Dale, Laitham Vandermeer and Oscar Baker have been lethal with their gut-running and surging style.

In the VFL, Caleb Daniel and Riley Garcia were amongst the best two performers on the weekend, while James Harmes' return from a hamstring strain was also very strong. Suddenly the depth has returned and selection squeeze is on.

Bubbling quietly behind closed doors is the progress of Bulldog favorite-son, Bailey Smith. Sources indicate that Smith may return to playing in the first week of September, which would give his previously unlikely return, some hope. Allow your mind to imagine the sight of the mulletted stallion streaming down the wing in finals, if you dare.

Yes, the Dogs are coming, and all teams are hoping they won't have to face them in September.

Bubbling quietly behind closed doors is the progress of Bulldog favorite-son, Bailey Smith. Sources indicate that Smith may return to playing in the first week of September, which would give his previously unlikely return, some hope. Allow your mind to imagine the sight of the mulletted stallion streaming down the wing in finals, if you dare.

Yes, the Dogs are coming, and all teams are hoping they won't have to face them in September.
The only place I want to see the mulletted stallion streaming down this year is Wellington Road en route to Waverley Park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't see it that way?!
I see some of it that way, however, it's over-hyped which is my primary objection. If I want to consume or have hyperbole rammed down my throat I can click on any number of AFL sponsored pieces....or read The Hun...which I choose not to do.

BTW, Bevo and the team have had clear air from the Bailey Smith circus this season. Do we really want his every press conference in September (should we make it) to be about deflecting questions on when is Bailey Smith playing and how many midfield minutes will he get? After reading that last paragraph we might not have to wait till September before lurking journalists start down that sh1tty road again.

I see some of it that way, however, it's over-hyped which is my primary objection. If I want to consume or have hyperbole rammed down my throat I can click on any number of AFL sponsored pieces....or read The Hun...which I choose not to do.

BTW, Bevo and the team have had clear air from the Bailey Smith circus this season. Do we really want his every press conference in September (should we make it) to be about deflecting questions on when is Bailey Smith playing and how many midfield minutes will he get? After reading that last paragraph we might not have to wait till September before lurking journalists start down that sh1tty road again.
Have some respect rather than labelling it as crap. What you see as over-hyped is simply your opinion on style. Perhaps you would do better to reconsider your words.

As for Bailey Smith, he will indeed be in the mix if we get that far and Bevo is experienced enough to be able to handle the questions.

Have some respect rather than labelling it as crap. What you see as over-hyped is simply your opinion on style. Perhaps you would do better to reconsider your words.

As for Bailey Smith, he will indeed be in the mix if we get that far and Bevo is experienced enough to be able to handle the questions.
What am I not respecting? Is this an unofficial club leak account? I feel like I might be being fed a narrative, or the beginnings of one.

In the interests of transparency, I'm a Joe Bloggs supporter with no affiliations or inside knowledge. What are you .... respectfully?

What am I not respecting? Is this an unofficial club leak account? I feel like I might be being fed a narrative, or the beginnings of one.

In the interests of transparency, I'm a Joe Bloggs supporter with no affiliations or inside knowledge. What are you .... respectfully?
It's in his handle.

From Robbo’s Tackle ‘column’ (drunken musings):
Alastair Clarkson is never one to keep his mouth shut. He was perturbed, as most football watchers were, when Bulldog Cody Weightman acted more like a trapeze artist than a footballer on Saturday. Weightman earns respect for his ability but not for his theatrics.

I’d love to shove Robbo square in the back when he’s not expecting it and see how he goes - betting he goes down easier than Weightman.

From Robbo’s Tackle ‘column’ (drunken musings):
Alastair Clarkson is never one to keep his mouth shut. He was perturbed, as most football watchers were, when Bulldog Cody Weightman acted more like a trapeze artist than a footballer on Saturday. Weightman earns respect for his ability but not for his theatrics.

I’d love to shove Robbo square in the back when he’s not expecting it and see how he goes - betting he goes down easier than Weightman.
A man who emotionally flails about like a used car lot sky dancer most nights on 360. Criticising anybody for 'theatrics' is a bit much.

Robbo might actually want to turn his critical gaze towards Alastair Clarkson and his players who pretty clearly had a plan to target Weightman from the get go. Which is understandable given how much Cody dines out on them whenever they meet.

A man who emotionally flails about like a used car lot sky dancer most nights on 360. Criticising anybody for 'theatrics' is a bit much.

Robbo might actually want to turn his critical gaze towards Alastair Clarkson and his players who pretty clearly had a plan to target Weightman from the get go. Which is understandable given how much Cody dines out on them whenever they meet.

i prefer Cody does not put the mayo on getting frees. Most of them were frees without the extra theatrics. The more press on it the less frees he will get.

i prefer Cody does not put the mayo on getting frees. Most of them were frees without the extra theatrics. The more press on it the less frees he will get.
Getting coat hangared at speed or shoved in the back is what creates the so called theatrics.

The 'press' have been banging this same drum about Cody since the day he stepped on the scene.

Yet here we are.

Instead of Clarkson making oblique reference to Weightman. Perhaps he could do his actual job and work out a viable strategy to counter him in a way that will not draw the umpires attention to them like flys on shit. Because the one they trot out every meeting of trying to physically intimidate Weightman is not working.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back