Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We talk about wicks a lot and some others but one guy who I defend a lot and love was worse than Wicks and others today and that was Hayward

Awful shot for goal when he finally got one.

A few shit turnovers , no tackles,

I wouldn't be completely against playing him as a defensive mid at centre bounces. Putting body on his opponent, laying blocks, opening up space etc. He did this in the back end of 2022 which was when our midfield looked at its most competitive at any stage prior to this year. I feel like this is the sort of player we are lacking at centre bounces at present, and we're getting on the backfoot because of it.

Would say Mills for this, but I want him in defence to reinforce down back.

So maybe Parker in the mids for Heeney. Heeney inside 50 for Wicks as he's faster than Parker and could do with being rested there anyway.

But for next week I'd just go unchanged. Back the boys in one more time and see what they produce.
Agreed with Mills in defence. Our defence hasn’t been right for awhile

We talk about wicks a lot and some others but one guy who I defend a lot and love was worse than Wicks and others today and that was Hayward

Hayward hasn’t been the same since he re-signed

Here is the tackle drop off which is quite stunning and why i think something personal wise needs to change

2024 Tackle Differential: +4.0
2024 (pre L5): +8.16
Last 5: -6.8
Konstanty might be a roughie for a debut? His pressure in VFL has been pretty good. 6 tackles today. Not kicking any though.

Problem with Hayward is who do you bring in to play his role, other medium forwards we have had in the past 5 years are what HHK and Thurlow. Yes you could say Heeney was there as well but we basically haven't had anyone in the twos pushing for that 4th or 5th tall in the forward line (medium tall spot). We need to draft a guy to give him competition

I wouldn't be completely against playing him as a defensive mid at centre bounces. Putting body on his opponent, laying blocks, opening up space etc. He did this in the back end of 2022 which was when our midfield looked at its most competitive at any stage prior to this year. I feel like this is the sort of player we are lacking at centre bounces at present, and we're getting on the backfoot because of it.

Would say Mills for this, but I want him in defence to reinforce down back.

So maybe Parker in the mids for Heeney. Heeney inside 50 for Wicks as he's faster than Parker and could do with being rested there anyway.

But for next week I'd just go unchanged. Back the boys in one more time and see what they produce.

If he names Mills and or Parker I wouldn't be outraged at all, despite reservations on Parker especially.

But yeah I am with you , back then in , go fix the problem and let's Mills and Parker run in the twos .

I'd start Adams though and Campbell or Roberts back to sub .

at 13-3 they still deserve to be backed in at home

Problem with Hayward is who do you bring in to play his role, other medium forwards we have had in the past 5 years are what HHK and Thurlow. We need to draft a guy to give him competition

Well the case made to drop Wicks can be made for Hayward if we want (I am
not saying drop Hayward just needs to do more)

But if you want to pick Parker well yes he isn't as tall as Hayward, but the same case exists if Hayward isn't touching it, Parker will get more than 10 touches and can take a grab etc

I’m not sure about Parker to be honest. His best football maybe beyond him. But would rather play him up forward in Wicks’ spot if anything. He doesn’t do much with the ball when he gets it out of the middle, just blind kicks it, but he’s a strong overhead mark and reliable in front of goal

If he names Mills and or Parker I wouldn't be outraged at all, despite reservations on Parker especially.

But yeah I am with you , back then in , go fix the problem and let's Mills and Parker run in the twos .

I'd start Adams though and Campbell or Roberts back to sub .

at 13-3 they still deserve to be backed in at home
I thought Campbell had a pretty good game 13 touches a goal and did it at 92% with only 1 turnover. Roberts didn't have much to do so if Mills is ready (doubt it) then thats a change i would do there and i would do Parker in for Wicks i know people hate that move

I thought Campbell had a pretty good game 13 touches a goal and did it at 92% with only 1 turnover. Roberts didn't have much to do so if Mills is ready (doubt it) then thats a change i would do there and i would do Parker in for Wicks i know people hate that move

Hey just win , make whatever moves do that 😂

I'll take the guys who can kick straight

But if you want to pick Parker well yes he isn't as tall as Hayward, but the same case exists if Hayward isn't touching it, Parker will get more than 10 touches and can take a grab etc
Yeah Parker in for Hayward makes way more sense. Won't happen though and not sure it should.

Thats why i say there is a case to make that Parker can play Haywards more marking role and Hayward can actually be the pressure forward as the underlying numbers show he is a better pressure forward than Wicks. I honestly was shocked when i first saw that fact but when you watch in games it makes sense.

Personally i would go Parker for Wicks but could understand if you said straight swap Parker for Hayward and keep continuity of roles for the other forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Parker in for Hayward makes way more sense. Won't happen though and not sure it should.

Yep that's where I am with it, If Hayward is pathetic v North though ...

Thats why i say there is a case to make that Parker can play Haywards more marking role and Hayward can actually be the pressure forward as the underlying numbers show he is a better pressure forward than Wicks. I honestly was shocked when i first saw that fact but when you watch in games it makes sense.

Personally i would go Parker for Wicks but could understand if you said straight swap Parker for Hayward and keep continuity of roles for the other forwards

What do we think Horse would do though. Presume he says yep Parker and Mills are best 22/23 and I am picking them.

He won't drop Hayward .

Will he drop Wicks? I'm not so sure.

I could be wrong but I guess Roberts/Fox/Campbell are the people Horse sees as the bottom 3

and Cunningham comes in eventually too.

That's just my guess of what he will do.

What do we think Horse would do though. Presume he says yep Parker and Mills are best 22/23 and I am picking them.

He won't drop Hayward .

I could be wrong but I guess Roberts/Fox/Campbell are the people Horse sees as the bottom 3

I find it hard to gauge where Horse thinks Wicks is because its probably been the one area of the ground where all of the injuries have occurred or more so there lacks any depth. E.g. Adams injury, Parker injury + Suspension, Konstanty being Konstanty, Warner injury, Sheldrick injury and Hanily is only a newbie. So i think your right in saying that he believes Wicks more so in that 15-18 bracket but i don't know if he has exactly had guys to come back in at the right time etc.

It's a long season, we aren't going to be perfect. IF we win the flag no-one is going to really remember Round 17.

Do you remember our losses in 05 and 12. I don't.

Positive note is we arent losing players during these losses at least.

But yep i was sceptical the level we were playing at was sustainable (its not)

I think finishing first is vital this season with the amount of interstate teams currently in the 8

He won't drop Hayward .

Despite everything, Campbell had a pretty reasonable game today.

If he gets the chop, I reckon he’d have every right to feel a bit annoyed.

Despite everything, Campbell had a pretty reasonable game today.

If he gets the chop, I reckon he’d have every right to feel a bit annoyed.

Or have we dropped the campbell bar so
low he can clear it

shouldn't he get more of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back