Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Or have we dropped the campbell bar so
low he can clear it

shouldn't he get more of it?
I don't think there are many more touches to go around tbh as a half forward Hayward averages 12 and Roberts as a backman removing subs averages like 16 so a wingman/HFF getting 13 on bloody good efficiency is good. Hopefully he can build confidence because if he starts getting 16-20 touch games at that high efficiency it will be super damaging but for most wingers his game was equivalent to 16-20 touches due to his disposal efficiency being 20-30% higher than most would have it.

I don't think there are many more touches to go around tbh as a half forward Hayward averages 12 and Roberts as a backman removing subs averages like 16 so a wingman/HFF getting 13 on bloody good efficiency is good. Hopefully he can build confidence because if he starts getting 16-20 touch games at that high efficiency it will be super damaging but for most wingers his game was equivalent to 16-20 touches due to his disposal efficiency being 20-30% higher than most would have it.

Good points , he uses it well too

Another example of s*it shooting costing us another game.
We also need our tall forwards to get the ball to ground if they cant mark it

I do wonder if our defensive struggles at times is due to the midfielders not giving enough pressure to the ball carrier which leaves the defenders in a helpless situation or is part of it also the defence not being able to clear the ball or take intercept marks.

Went to the Freo game last week and I reckon most of the Freos goals were the defence being left on an island rather than contested marking. I think it was the same this week. So many open players.

Not a good game from Hayward today. He had a couple of really great defensive efforts and linked up in a couple of handball chains but did very little else. However... Talk of dropping him is a bit over the top. Kicked 3 against Freo last week and laid some crucial tackles.

Constantly steps up with clutch goals and defensive efforts when needed and has actually turned momentum back in our favour at times this year

Just a bad day at the office today.

I'll ask this question just honestly. How much pressure are we really going to loose from Wicks per game in which Parker can make up for it with an extra goal or two per game

I do wonder if our defensive struggles at times is due to the midfielders not giving enough pressure to the ball carrier which leaves the defenders in a helpless situation or is part of it also the defence not being able to clear the ball or take intercept marks.

Went to the Freo game last week and I reckon most of the Freos goals were the defence being left on an island rather than contested marking. I think it was the same this week. So many open players.
Spot on IMO. Opposition mids just walking into their forward 50 unimpeded will always mean trouble for any defence. Been far too much of it the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I wasn't just here sooking and put some effort in , I could get some screen shots.

How often today and even during our good games do we seem to kick high to contests and just hope there is a mark , we have multiple talls in and it's a pack.

Then the opposition will enter and have space and one on one contests .

We move it quick and just want it forward? We have thee tall forwards and make marking extra difficult imo , they also don't seem to spread much.

Seems like we end up kicking a lot of long goals outside 40 through the midfield just bombing away, or it's balls that hit the deck or a goal like Jmacs in the air today

Maybe there's nothing to support this but it feels amplified when the opposition goal because their forward leads into space for a
nice grab or just has a 1 on 1 v Rampe or Mccartin.

We have Amartey flying for some high bomb and mclean behind him, and their opponents and maybe another one dragged in by the crumming player ? .

We have a goal kicking midfield but I think some better spacing could
make our tall forwards more effective

His disposal today was far better than his teammates.

He kicked a cracking goal.

His courage can’t be questioned.

I thought it was a decent game & he was among our best - he didn’t do a lot wrong.
Campbell is your classic role player, never really going to have a BOG performance but when played in the right role he looks clearly best 22

His disposal today was far better than his teammates.

He kicked a cracking goal.

His courage can’t be questioned.

I thought it was a decent game & he was among our best - he didn’t do a lot wrong.

All very fair , just wondering outloud sorry

I'll ask this question just honestly. How much pressure are we really going to loose from Wicks per game in which Parker can make up for it with an extra goal or two per game
I've started to ask myself this question. I'd love to find out next week.

Fair point

Wicks recorded the highest speed for any Swan today. He wa third for pressure acts behind Rowbottom and McInerney.

Parker won’t go near that but offers a lot but more so as a midfielder and resting half forward than a permanent forward.

Wicks recorded the highest speed for any Swan today. He wa third for pressure acts behind Rowbottom and McInerney.

Parker won’t go near that but offers a lot but more so as a midfielder and resting half forward than a permanent forward.
Thats the odd thing is that he had 18 or 19 pressure acts but only 1 tackle and none inside 50 and no goals today for Wicks and it was one of his best pressure acts games yet it didn't really feel any different to any of his other games. Feel like he would be best just to go back into the twos maybe even play on ball in the twos for a week or two and just try and get him like a 15 tackle game so that he comes back confident.

Wicks in or out is not going to be the difference maker, swap Parker in , or Corey Warner or whoever.

If Gulden kicks it to the opposition 50% of the time, Warner tries to break every Tackle, the forwards miss shots, Paps goes missing,
Mccartin can't kick or beat an opponent,
Rampe and Florent trip over constantly , Heeney and Rowbottom can't get space, Grundy can't get on top Blakey plays like a lazy pricks

Well then if it's Wicks or Parker really doesn't matter.

We lost because the leaders and good players were shit,
But the players fans want to drop are the lesser lights .

If Gulden gets 12 possies but 6 directly go to opponents the flow on impact negatively is massive- but let's drop Wicks because he should have tackled more.

I'm not getting the 'sky will fall in without Wicks' stuff, but everyone sees it differently I guess. Think he's limited but can be a handy bottom 6 player when in form, but don't think the 'pressure' he's bringing is anywhere near his best or is enough to make him an auto 22er atm. Playing VFL for a week or 2 might be the best thing to get him into good form before finals.

If the point is winning a flag, and in that last month you want to settle the team to gear up for finals, then these next few weeks are our last chance to test a few options and make sure we have the best team possible to do that.
Rotating some of our bottom end shouldn't be the difference between missing top 4 or not (if it is there's bigger problems and we're frauds anyway). It would be madness not to at least look at a Parker.

Not necessarily saying it should be Wicks out or even Parker in....they're just the examples. It could be one or 2 other bottom 6 players out for others on the fringe coming in. Parker & Mills should be VFL next week.
Not throwing the toys out of the cot, but having a look at the mix of our bottom 6 is worthwhile imo. We can always re-pick those guys for that final push if those coming in don't bring anything we like to the table. It's also about making sure those next 3 guys on the list are ready if we get a few late season injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back