Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

So many people writing Parker off, and for what? What have you seen that’s given you any proof whatsoever he’s past it?

Presumably you can point to games last season, which seems ridiculous.

Perhaps it would be easier for fans to simply state which players they DON'T think should be dropped after our devastating 2 point demolition.

Having the Talented Mr Fox get a bit of game time into his legs will be good for us. He can play small or tall, forward, back or wing. If we did want to bring Mills in he could take Foxy's role down back and free him to play as a pressure forward who can take a good grab. Just sayin'

Personally, I'm not filled with panic at a pair of narrow losses coming at the tired end of the season, though I expect Horse will be having long chats with the fitness and conditioning staff this week with a view to some shuffling of personnel for this weekend or, more likely, the next

That’s particularly damining given that we kicked a lot of behinds and we had more entries
Coincidence that the last time we lost to a bottom dweller we also laid only four inside 50 tackles?

Hayward's not dropped off much overall from 2023 numbers but he has in the last eight games, compared to the eight before. Wicks has really dropped off in the 2nd half of his (14) 2024 games. But he was already way down on his 2023 average of just above two inside 50 tackles per game, falling to one per game through the first half of games in 2024 before falling again to a just one tackle every second game in the latter half of games he's played so far in 2024.

Papley's was tracking just above his 2023 & 2022 averages for inside 50 tackles but he's only made one inside 50 tackle in his last four games.

While Logan has never been much of a tackler, Amartey and McLean are reliable tacklers inside 50 and have both picked up their tackles over the latter half of 2024 games.

Amartey laid four inside 50 tackles in the Crows game, highlighting a correlation between pressure and goals. Perhaps because pressure gives repeat opportunities, and provides opportunities to kick from close to goals.

A final comment on this round. IMO, that game jumper design just looked totally effeminate, with it's pretty rainbow edging. It looked like the boys were off to Mardi Gras in the sort of thing Barbie might dress Ken in, to celebrate having him neutered.

Inclusive sure, that I'm all for. How manly our players look is psychologically important. In essence, men's footy represents a stylised form of battle, a physical game of strength, speed, skill, endurance, strategy and courage. In essence it represents a stylised form of battle. We praise players who soldier on, blood stained bandages around their heads, telling our opposition we are tougher, harder, more willing to endure. We can hardly intimidate while dressed in rainbow frills. How about sequins?

I don't normally go near the match day thread as a bunch of keyboard warriors have a meltdown and throw insults at our team but on a quick skim through I noted a post by TheMase.

Remembers Carlton in 1995 who got smashed two weeks in a row and went on to win the flag

Exactly. And we were one of those teams. Friday night, Blues were red hot and unbeatable yet somehow the 1994 spooners (us) got up and thrashed them in an incredible game where we simply dug deep and found something we didn't know we had. Those two consecutive losses were just the juice the Blues needed to go on and beat the Cats for the flag.

Are we a top two team? You bet we are. Are we better for a couple of losses. You bet we are

Yeh he got balls, but do what’s best for the team. He’s average at best with set shots and he knows it and still decided to take it.
Totally agree with the thought of giving the likes of Heeney, Warner or even Grundy a spell next week. They appear to be playing sore.

Totally agree with the thought of giving the likes of Heeney, Warner or even Grundy a spell next week. They appear to be playing sore.
I can’t cop this “playing sore” narrative. Literally no one here has a clue who’s sore and who’s not or who’s just out of form. No one has access to any data or information that confirms a players health.

Tell me you're ****ing kidding and we're not making that sort of decision like that....
Hand on heart that's what I heard from a good source. Someone I mentioned it too told me it was pick up in the media too (although I've not heard it).

Apart from a rest or hidden injury, it's the only excuse I can think of as to why he was sub.

Heading up to Sydney for the week. Mapping out what to do. I was thinking about standing out the front of HQ with a sign saying show some pride in the jumper you peahearts but thought that was a bit harsh. I’m thinking Tuesday I might go to training with a big long pole and every time one of the players goes to ground, walk out there and whack them with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the odd thing is that he had 18 or 19 pressure acts but only 1 tackle and none inside 50 and no goals today for Wicks and it was one of his best pressure acts games yet it didn't really feel any different to any of his other games. Feel like he would be best just to go back into the twos maybe even play on ball in the twos for a week or two and just try and get him like a 15 tackle game so that he comes back confident.

A pressure act is defined as applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

Wicks may not have applied tackles but he applied pressure on the ball user.

Rowbottom had 29 pressure acts (most for the game) but only 6 tackles ( 1 in 5 ratio).

Pressure isn’t just tackling. Doubt Wicks would rack up 15 tackles in a game even in a reserves game. Not sure it’s a confidence issue, just the nature of the game.

Some of that was really painful to watch.

On the bright side, it looks like us playing 1.5 good quarters of good football and 2.5 quarters of our worst football is enough to get within a goal of most other teams playing their best football.

We were running out games incredibly strongly in the first half of the season (which was our greatest competitive advantage) and now look like we're getting outrun by the end of Q3. Have to hope that they're just building the guys' fitness up to peak again during finals.

Heading up to Sydney for the week. Mapping out what to do. I was thinking about standing out the front of HQ with a sign saying show some pride in the jumper you peahearts but thought that was a bit harsh. I’m thinking Tuesday I might go to training with a big long pole and every time one of the players goes to ground, walk out there and whack them with it.
Make a sign saying "we want fast starts" and on the otherside "no more burst football".

Thats the odd thing is that he had 18 or 19 pressure acts but only 1 tackle and none inside 50 and no goals today for Wicks and it was one of his best pressure acts games yet it didn't really feel any different to any of his other games. Feel like he would be best just to go back into the twos maybe even play on ball in the twos for a week or two and just try and get him like a 15 tackle game so that he comes back confident.

A pressure act is defined as applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

Wicks may not have applied tackles but he applied pressure on the ball user.

Rowbottom had 29 pressure acts (most for the game) but only 6 tackles ( 1 in 5 ratio).

Pressure isn’t just tackling. Doubt Wicks would rack up 15 tackles in a reserves game. Not sure it’s a confidence issue, just the nature of the game.

do pressure acts include running at a player (the pressure) and then being stepped so the player runs past you and has an unimpeded kick out of defence ?

If so I saw a lot of pressure acts leading to uncontested kicks and marks up the field

Total arrogance , absolutely pathetic against a shit club.
They just cut us up through our domain in the middle , no tackling pressure .
As for the jumpers stick it , looked terrible , why were they not wearing a silly jumper . We should've been wearing the red V like the ressies

Total arrogance , absolutely pathetic against a shit club.
They just cut us up through our domain in the middle , no tackling pressure .
As for the jumpers stick it , looked terrible , why were they not wearing a silly jumper . We should've been wearing the red V like the ressies
Agree, the jumpers weren't a good design. Suspect they will be cheaper than the Buddy and Swans 2022 GF merch at season's end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back