Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Allen Jackovich Allen Jackovich Allen Jackovich Allen Jackovich Allen Jackovich Allen Jackovich

Admit he was good for Melbourne - but he was rubbish for us. Doubly so because of the expectation his drafting to us generated. At least with Peter Street we didn't have high expectations

the ghost of alby smedts said:
Ooh yes, how could we forget him. On a cold, wet night at the WACA in 1991, he got 13 goals kicked on him by Sumich, 7 in the 3rd quarter alone! Now that was a first round draft pick well spent!

Gotta question some people's assessment of talent if the likes of McMahon, Power & Hargreave are in this group.
Its got to be tongue in cheek surely?
Anything to try and get a reaction I guess. :confused:

my memory was a little hazy but i think it was alistair campbell or someone campbell. Probably ended up playing a few games, and i think went to melbourne, but i remember he was built up as the next ej whitten, they gave him number 3 and he stank.

I think grant got the number after him.

Feel free to correct me on this one.

Cyberdoggie said:
my memory was a little hazy but i think it was alistair campbell or someone campbell. Probably ended up playing a few games, and i think went to melbourne, but i remember he was built up as the next ej whitten, they gave him number 3 and he stank.

I think grant got the number after him.

Feel free to correct me on this one.

Hi Cyberdooggie - that would be Adran Campbell & not the gloved wonder Anthony Campell (who came to us from Melbourne) I presume.

My book says: Adrian Campbell - Footscray 1988-1992 30 games, 31 goals. Then he went to Melbourne & played 2 games for 5 goals. (b: 4 jan 1969, 189cm, 87 kilos).

Can't really remember much about him to be honest.

Cheers

Actually Doug was pretty good for Fitzroy that year he played for them. Pretty sure he was in the top 5 in their b+f.

Gosh, so many to choose from. I immediately thought of Mark Cullen when I saw the topic, though Peter Street made my skin prickle when I read his name. I'm sure if I thought about it a bit more, I could probably come up with more from the late 70s/early 80s, but I think my subconscious has blocked out those memories! One thing I do remember - Royce Hart - worst coach ever! :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go dogs 05 said:
I can't recall his first name, there was another Darcy that played (prob early mid 90's) he was terrible

That would be Anthony Darcy (Geelong, Footscray & Saint Kilda).

He played 12 games for us 1992-1993 & kicked 2 goals

Also got one game for Cats & 3 games for Saints

b. 22 Mar 1972, 184 cms, 80 kgs

Cheers

Jeff Berry & Matt Byrechevski, Zeno Tatzaris & Lee Perussich could also rate a mention here.

blah..blah said:
Ok Doug Hawkings on that basis, he was terrible at Fitzroy

The thread is Worst Ever Bulldog player.

On that basis I stand by Jakovich.

wedesweiler said:
Hi Cyberdooggie - that would be Adran Campbell & not the gloved wonder Anthony Campell (who came to us from Melbourne) I presume.

My book says: Adrian Campbell - Footscray 1988-1992 30 games, 31 goals. Then he went to Melbourne & played 2 games for 5 goals. (b: 4 jan 1969, 189cm, 87 kilos).

Can't really remember much about him to be honest.

Cheers

In 1988-89 Adrian Campbell was labelled as "the next big thing" at Footscray. Took over from Beasley in late 89, kicking 5 in a game, and almost looked the goods. Similar build to Grant. In the 91 pre-season at Waverley, we had a starting forward line of Ballantyne, Grant and Campbell, and all three looked like they could be anything. Unfortunately, Ballantyne was never given a real go by Wheeler, and Campbell (who looked fantastic that night at Waverely - bulked up from year before) never achieved the heights expected of him. His knee injury was horrific, and can't remember whether they had moved him to FB just before, or after the injury, but he looked ok there, until traded to Melbourne. Potential unfulfilled. Another player written up as a gun (early-mid 80s) in the Footscray Mail, was Warren Stanlake. According to reports from the paper and Western Oval, he was Quinlan and Templeton rolled into one! Also Michael Shepperbottom, who killed them at U/19 level for us (as a 15yo I think) but never made the grade in the seniors - local lad I think. Also Denis Reppacholi, who I think someone else mentioned - from W.A. I remember Rick Kennedy giving him a wrap toward sthe end of his career - think their careers overlapped for ****' last season. Kennedy nominated him as our next 10-year fullback, a Gary Malarkey type who would be a great player. What a goal-to-goal line those blokes make - Reppacholi, Campbell, Shepperbottom, Stanlake, Ballantyne. Add John Riley, Dennis Cometti and Jared Roughead's dad, and you've got a group with the greatest collected unfulfilled potential in the history of the game!!! Forgot Jeff Geischen as well....

Not sure why Adrian Campbell is on this list as the injury killed him and you'll also find he topped the club gola kicking list 1 year (given it was a bad year).

Ballantyne wasn't hard done by, he was just soft and a 1 trick pony.

Agree Campbell should probably not be on a list of "worst" players, although his career had stalled prior to his injury. Grant had overtaken him as the young gun forward, Coleman and Del-re held the key positions for a few years, and Wigney hovered on the periphery as well.

Can't entirely agree on Ballantyne though - he could lead and mark, and kick long goals. Soft - maybe, but that may have been addressed by more ground time. Spent a lot of time in his early games on the bench - particularly one game against Essendon at the G, when we couldn't buy a goal. When he came on in the last quarter, kicked three goals, but the game was all over (would have felt right at home being coached by Rohde!!). Wheeler could have shown some confidence and played him for 3-4 weeks at FF, and given him a chance to perform. At least he would have known one way or the other. By the time Del-re hit form in 92, Ballantyne's career was effectively over.

footscray1973 said:
In 1988-89 Adrian Campbell was labelled as "the next big thing" at Footscray. Took over from Beasley in late 89, kicking 5 in a game, and almost looked the goods. Similar build to Grant. In the 91 pre-season at Waverley, we had a starting forward line of Ballantyne, Grant and Campbell, and all three looked like they could be anything. Unfortunately, Ballantyne was never given a real go by Wheeler, and Campbell (who looked fantastic that night at Waverely - bulked up from year before) never achieved the heights expected of him. His knee injury was horrific, and can't remember whether they had moved him to FB just before, or after the injury, but he looked ok there, until traded to Melbourne. Potential unfulfilled. Another player written up as a gun (early-mid 80s) in the Footscray Mail, was Warren Stanlake. According to reports from the paper and Western Oval, he was Quinlan and Templeton rolled into one! Also Michael Shepperbottom, who killed them at U/19 level for us (as a 15yo I think) but never made the grade in the seniors - local lad I think. Also Denis Reppacholi, who I think someone else mentioned - from W.A. I remember Rick Kennedy giving him a wrap toward sthe end of his career - think their careers overlapped for ****' last season. Kennedy nominated him as our next 10-year fullback, a Gary Malarkey type who would be a great player. What a goal-to-goal line those blokes make - Reppacholi, Campbell, Shepperbottom, Stanlake, Ballantyne. Add John Riley, Dennis Cometti and Jared Roughead's dad, and you've got a group with the greatest collected unfulfilled potential in the history of the game!!! Forgot Jeff Geischen as well....

Another great of the 80's with great potential and not talent was a South Australian named Mark Noble, think the country SA league was going to strike because the doggies brough him over to play for us. He played a couple of 2's games and was a taller dud version of Mark Cullen. :cool:

Ching said:
Not sure why Adrian Campbell is on this list as the injury killed him and you'll also find he topped the club gola kicking list 1 year (given it was a bad year).
Agree - under no circumstances can you include Adrian Cambell. Would have been a more than serviceable player if not for the knee injury. Went on to play several outstanding seasons with Leongatha and represented Country Vic on many occasions.

SirBloodyIdiot said:
Ilija Grigic. Now that was tragic.

Ilija contributed a lot in 1994, kicked over 30 goals if my memory is right including a couple of bags of 5-6. Ilija at West Coast and Essendon was tragic, but he did some good things for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back