Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldog1954 said:
Ilija contributed a lot in 1994, kicked over 30 goals if my memory is right including a couple of bags of 5-6. Ilija at West Coast and Essendon was tragic, but he did some good things for us
Agreed Ilija far from the worst player we ever had.

Sam Phillipou never got going over there, another one of those good Doggies 2's players in the early mid 90's. Still pops up in the SANFL despite quite a few injuries.

Aaah, yes - Sam Phillipou. With him at FF and Paul Gow at FB, how is it that we didn't win a string of flags?? Would be interesting to compare the full list of draftees/trades acquired by Kleiman vs Clayton, or even the relative draft pick numbers by Kleiman compared to Clayton's selections while at Brisbane. How much did that dud cost this club with his total lack of knowledge and common sense when attempting to identify talent? His years as our recruiting guy are the lost generation of Footscray players.........

How about the flogs mentioning Ryan Hargrave on here all them years back.

Probably need to add James Mulligan to this list.

I go back a fair ways and have seen just about every player mentioned prior but if I had to pick one it would be Mulligan.... No disrespect to James he was an athlete trying to become a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy question to answer with quite a few standouts:

1. Mark Cullen - For consistently producing crap and yet still getting picked each week because he could run. Most supporters believed he should keep running out of the ground and out of the club.

2. Terry DeKonning - For just being a big bloke who was inept at just about everything.

3. Mark Komp - Basically this bloke could not kick and had the weirdest kicking style. Have no idea how he actually got games, but I guess it shows how bad we were in the early 80s.

4. Robert Groenewagon - Useless would be an understatement, in fact the only thing he did was allow Hawkins to re-sign with the club, as long as we kept Gronner on the list.

5. John Riley - Recruited as the great white saviour, proved to be the crappiest player to ever come out of SA. Thankfully he didn't play many games which saves him from being the worst player for us.

First time I've ever quoted a post that's 10 years old :D

John Riley came across from North Adelaide as a potential star, but only played one game with us because he had come without a clearance.
The SANFL (I think) were going to ban him from ever playing in SA again if he played on with the Dogs (or something like that), so he gave in and went back home.

Riley was captain of North Adelaide at the time, and one of the guns of the game in SA.

Had he been able to continue with us, I think he would have been a gun. Had some real class.

He - and Ryan Hargrave, Adam Contessa, Brad Wira and Sam Power - should never, ever be mentioned in a thread like this - never, ever!

I mean, Shaggy was in the All Australian squad in about 2008 or 2009!!

Brad Wira was also a very tough, tenacious half back in 1997...often in the best players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back