Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the thought that Breust, Gunston and Lewis all together is a bit of a disaster.

Breust has looked so good coming in as the sub. So has Morrison. Pick one or the other.

The issue I have with Lewis, Gunston and Brest in the same forward line is that they don’t provide forward pressure. They all provide viable targets, when they don’t have the ball it comes out way to easily, as they don’t provide as much pressure.

With Ginni, Dear, Chol and Watson in the forward line, why they don’t have the same reliability, they do create pressure, making it harder for the opposing team to get the ball out, and for the most part are able to win the ball back.

Admittedly yesterday, the ball was spent in most of Geelong’s forward half. Yesterday Geelong did to us, to what we have been doing to other teams for the past 6 weeks. Forcing our forwards up the ground to help defend. When we did kick it forward, we were unable to keep it in our forward half, due to not having the personnel there, in trying to defend to keep the ball. Against better teams we are going to be exposed.

On the topic of the forward line - bloody hell we missed Ginnivan’s work rate yesterday. I don’t care if he never kicks another goal - the amount of work he puts in across the ground was noticeably absent yesterday.

Not remotely surprising who one of the ‘disagree’ reacts was to this.
“not all the people who disagree are racist, but all the racists sure will disagree.”

Oh yes, the racial generalization was proven correct eventually, so we should therefore just accept racial generalizations going forward.

Good one.
Brockman was a young father with family ties in his home state on the other side of the country. He wanted to play for West Coast in his draft year and was surprised we took him before the Eagles had a live pick.

Whether he was indigenous, Anglo-Saxon, Irish Catholic, Martian is irrelevant.

Deep down he wanted to go home. End of story

Kolo's problem will he that he braced with elbows forward to protect himself rather than keep them outstretched for the mark. I reckon he could be in a bit of strife.

Never know with the AFL though.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
With respect - no he didn’t. The angle from behind shows Kolo reaching to mark the ball the entire time until his elbow hits Mitch’s head.

His team mate was kicking the ball to him and he clearly tried to mark it.

He’s got nothing to worry about.

As Dunstall said during the telecast, it was a completely fair contest.

To be fair, those saying Brocky was a flight risk from the day we drafted him were proven correct. Sadly.
Despite being shouted down constantly by the "MOD SQUAD"
Why was Brocky mentioned as a flight risk from the start but DGB wasn't?

Before I read all the negatives and those who want to rub salt into there wounds. Sure the result was disappointing however there are sum factors which should be kept in mind.
A young team with a 6 day break travelling to Perth and back is not easy task.
Playing on a ground that is not AFL standard the dimensions are so different to any other ground, not even close and all our players bar two had never played before.
Playing without their captain and 2 other players who were in form.
Playing 2 veterans who may be OK against poorer sides but not against top 4 sides.
These 2 players should never be in the same side again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yes, the basis of your posts on Brockman were that he was an Aboriginal player who would want to go home.
On Wingard you didn’t think he tried.

Now you call Chol lazy, more casual racism.

Either it’s deliberate or you just can’t help it and don’t know what casual racism is.
Again find the quote - and freely re quote where I said he wanted to go home because he was indigenous - you won’t and can’t because I never said it that way. Just said he was homesick - from that comment you interpreted me as being racist and let everyone in this forum know it.

Re Wingard I am on record a few times as saying that I was told personally by a Port Adelaide insider that they wanted him out - never took his his rehab seriously and was happy to coast through the system on his prodigious talent. Same person said he would always struggle with soft injury due to poor of field approach to rehab, amongst other things. Yet you spin that as me saying “doesn’t try” than extapolate that to me being racist???You know what what else - had no idea Chad was even indigenous when he came to Hawthorn. Again I don’t look at skin colour, especially when it comes professional sports and giving my two cents worth

Saying that Chol hadnt lived up to his potential due to being at now his third club is pretty much fact. Said he had to work harder off field which to his credit looks to be happening. I’ll concede that after re watching the game today I was too harsh on him yesterday

I’ve also been on record for saying that Ward won’t make it as only an inside mid ( which didn’t go down well
with a few) and had a good crack at McDonald earlier in the year yet you make out that I only “ casually make racist remarks about our indigenous and players of African descent

This is the problem we have with the head being so sacrosanct. I was fine with it.

The head should be sacrosanct…when it’s not an unavoidable contact injury while playing a very fast contact sport played from a 360° perspective. This is what the AFL needs to contend with. I’m comfortable with zero suspension here much like the Maynard/Brayshaw saga. Accidents happen in a contact sport.

Where the AFL needs to get serious is someone like Jimmy Webster. If you callously strike someone in the head for no good reason then you should sit out half a season or more - not 7 games. An on field slur shouldn’t be in striking distance of a suspension for basically king hitting someone. Webster should have got 12-16 games - that’s where the AFL could show they’re serious about protecting the head.

Again find the quote - and freely re quote where I said he wanted to go home because he was indigenous - you won’t and can’t because I never said it that way. Just said he was homesick - from that comment you interpreted me as being racist and let everyone in this forum know it.

Re Wingard I am on record a few times as saying that I was told personally by a Port Adelaide insider that they wanted him out - never took his his rehab seriously and was happy to coast through the system on his prodigious talent. Same person said he would always struggle with soft injury due to poor of field approach to rehab, amongst other things. Yet you spin that as me saying “doesn’t try” than extapolate that to me being racist???You know what what else - had no idea Chad was even indigenous when he came to Hawthorn. Again I don’t look at skin colour, especially when it comes professional sports and giving my two cents worth

Saying that Chol hadnt lived up to his potential due to being at now his third club is pretty much fact. Said he had to work harder off field which to his credit looks to be happening. I’ll concede that after re watching the game today I was too harsh on him yesterday

I’ve also been on record for saying that Ward won’t make it as only an inside mid ( which didn’t go down well
with a few) and had a good crack at McDonald earlier in the year yet you make out that I only “ casually make racist remarks about our indigenous and players of African descent
No, I have never called you racist, I’ve made you aware of how your continued generalisations about dark skinned players, not being able to prepare, compete or deal with life as an AFL footballer are viewed.

Plenty of other posters have picked up on it, and I’m telling you to either own it and stop it or recognise it and do the same.
Casually brushing it off as just one of those coincidental things ain’t going to wash.

No, I have never called you racist, I’ve made you aware of how your continued generalisations about dark skinned players, not being able to prepare, compete or deal with life as an AFL footballer are viewed.

Plenty of other posters have picked up on it, and I’m telling you to either own it and stop it or recognise it and do the same.
Casually brushing it off as just one of those coincidental things ain’t going to wash.
I disagree with Noel regarding Chol being lazy. It’s his demeanor, which I love, like others he has become one of my faves this year.

I however did not take his comment as racist until you brought it up. I had no idea that calling someone with dark skin lazy was racist. Can we no longer call anybody racist or only people with white skin racist? Which in fact would be racism in itself.

Thought I’d better check because my teenage son is lazy as, just want to check if I’m still allowed to call him lazy, or is it only dependent on his skin colour?

Last edited:
With respect - no he didn’t. The angle from behind shows Kolo reaching to mark the ball the entire time until his elbow hits Mitch’s head.

His team mate was kicking the ball to him and he clearly tried to mark it.

He’s got nothing to worry about.

As Dunstall said during the telecast, it was a completely fair contest.
Except he made contact with the head. 1720330346307.png

Maybe it's just a suspicion but I thought a few players looked a little gassed in the 1stQ. Was watching Mass chasing someone and he looked puffed. Hope a 7 day break will have us firing in Tassie. Next 4 are winable. 8 day break after next week then full week breaks between games.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not casually brushing my comments off as coincidental - I am categorically denying it and provided more than enough proof to validate my points. If I only targeted dark skinned players you would be well within your rights to pull me up but that isnt the case is it?

Right or wrong I’ve had my two cents worth on all types of players regardless of skin color, ethnicity etc yet you have decided that I make “ casual racism remarks”

Again pretty hard for me to make so called racist indigenous comments about Wingard when at the time I genuinely thought he was of Spanish/ Greek descent ..

It's amazing how important clean ball handling is in AFL. (and not kicking the ball to the opposition - 13 scoring shots from turnovers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back