Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Hawks sink the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

My absolute favourite fact in footy is that we haven’t gone a calendar decade without at least one flag since the 1950s.

Will we keep that up? We have 5 more seasons….

I can’t wait for the day we sit on top of the most premierships table in VFL/AFL history, we all ready sit on top of the AFL(1990-2024) only one with 5.

That game should be the final nail in the coffin for those arguing not to spend a first rounder for Barrass.
Sicily was close to our worst in the first quarter because he had to try and sit on a power fwd. That's not his natural game. His natural game is killing the incoming ball and rebounding very effectively with great field vision and kicks.
All of which he did with great effect from the second quarter onwards, to the point where he was arguably our best player.
(I did say arguably - Weddle, Impey, Massimo to name a few would argue the point)

The whinging from opposition supporters has begun again. They're scared
A lot of my opposition friends are actually pretty fond of this outfit. They’re good to watch.

But yes …I wonder how long this will last

star wars film GIF

When Calsher tapped that ball back to himself (and subsequently kicked the goal), who else thought here we go again, he has touched another shot going for goal?
Nah because his opponent was right there with him, it was either he do that or it gets spoiled before the line.

Yeah, there is absolutely no justification for dropping Morrison after that.

Perfect wingers game.

Chopped off the opposition's defensive entries and ended up with a goal and assists from our goal square.

Textbook.

Alot better that the 12 disposals avg that CJ gets.

Obvious performances have been called out today and rightfully so - but Chol had one of the best 5 possession games I’ve ever seen today. He created pressure all day on Carlton defenders, halved contests and was a looming threat all day. One of those games that if you just look at someone’s stats it barely tells the story of the day the player had.
Sammy seemed to give him a lot of love after the game. He’s been an immense trade in. No Mitch Lewis all year just about. Incredible

I take it he may be rested then. Hope not what do you think?
As Sam said in the presser it was precautionary however if you sit back and try to understand the way his brain works as a coach he was likely playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. What I mean by this is he knew the win was in the bag and wanted to test the team and see how they did without it's best player.

Doing something like this is bloody brilliant and could serve us well in a final if Will is being tagged as team kept firing without him. Yes they were the walking wounded but that was out of our control and the team kept humming along without him. It also allowed other players to play themselves into some form which is vital in the home stretch.

Sammy seemed to give him a lot of love after the game. He’s been an immense trade in. No Mitch Lewis all year just about. Incredible

Being 4 rows from the top of the Olympic Stand I had a fortunate view of our forward structure for 2 quarters and Chol was bloody good to watch. He was a hell of a lot more involved than 5 touches would show. Gave Calsher room to shine that’s for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The importance of Gunston's improved set shot has probably been understated. He used to always get that many shots, but has been spraying them in recent times. Since coming back in looks ultra focused and nailing those shots, and also composed under pressure in setting up others. It's added a calmness to our forward line. It's a bit of a Motley Crew of Chol Gunston and Dear for our starting 3 talls, but it might just work with Dear and Chol proving a contest and pressure at ground level, and Gunston being smart and taking chances either to set up others or finish off work. It's much harder for opposition to match up on than just Dear and Chol, which helps Dear a lot. With our 'mosquito fleet', it's a very unpredictable thing to plan for, with Watson, Moore and CMac all causing chaos in their own way.

Yesterday still feels like a dream. So many glorious moments. I was just driving earlier on, smiling to myself, thinking about Weddle’s effortless goal from the boundary line. Can’t wait to watch the replay. What a great team effort!

Was thinking this morning - how bloody brilliant is it that despite our resurgence we don't have a single player featuring in the odds for the Brownlow medal. The spread of talent and performances is so wide that there isn't a chance of a single player dominating the votes. This is such a balanced squad that the MMM (Mitchell, McKenzie and McCartney) brains trust have put together.

Alot better that the 12 disposals avg that CJ gets.

I am not sure if you listened to Sam's presser, but he talked about Frosty and that he doesn't get measured on his possession count.
Im sure CJ doesn't only get measured on his either.

Players have far more detailed roles than just get footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Hawks sink the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back