List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
It sucks but we are rebuilding and frankly we need as many top 30 picks we can get our hands on, if losing Barrass allows for that it's a no brainer.

We shouldn't be romancing the idea that we'll be a finals team again with Barrass in our side, the bandaid needs to be ripped off.
So lets say we get a AFL handout of 2 priority picks this year and we got pick 3,20,21,25 , how much do we actually want another top 30 pick here? With such a draft hand we are likely to end our hand at pick 25 and its unnecessary if we want to get Malaki Champion who could easily be available to us with out pick 56 via matching a bid.

5 picks of 3,20,21,25 and 56 should be enough. 3,9,20,21,25 to me is overkill . I dont have much interest in trading 2 of these picks for like pick 10-12 either. Not enough upside to head down that far

I believe Buss is still gettable if it came to it, was smart for Dogs to extend him as it makes him a much more valuable asset.

So lets say we get a AFL handout of 2 priority picks this year and we got pick 3,20,21,25 , how much do we actually want another top 30 pick here? With such a draft hand we are likely to end our hand at pick 25 and its unnecessary if we want to get Malaki Champion who could easily be available to us with out pick 56 via matching a bid.

5 picks of 3,20,21,25 and 56 should be enough. 3,9,20,21,25 to me is overkill

Any AFL assistance to us will be in line with what North received which means we'll need to trade those picks.
Trading Barrass gets us another top 15 pick minimum, personally I'd be asking for a pick and player like Buss or Garcia or straight up pick 8 from Hawks.

Any AFL assistance to us will be in line with what North received which means we'll need to trade those picks.
Trading Barrass gets us another top 15 pick minimum, personally I'd be asking for a pick and player like Buss or Garcia or straight up pick 8 from Hawks.
No chance we get what North got. Norths assistant package was a absolute failure. Why would AFL repeat the same failure?

It wouldnt shock me also if AFL go full on sledgehammer and give us pick 4 + 21 too

ROFL with your comparison of Rory Lobb and Barrass. Obviously no idea, next you’ll be saying Buku Khamis is a good kpd.

Your defence is so weak it’s not funny.

Weak defence, but held Geelong to their lowest ever score at GMHBA, and gave the two Coleman medallists a bath the week before.

Our defence has been our strongest asset this year, but this isn’t a Bulldogs thread so I won’t bore you all.

At the end of the day it’s down to the club’s management not bigfooty, I just can’t see the logic in spending our Baz pick on an area of surplus.

Not even Buss can get a game, imagine if Barass was there too!

No chance we get what North got. Norths assistant package was a absolute failure. Why would AFL repeat the same failure?

It wouldnt shock me also if AFL go full on sledgehammer and give us pick 4 + 21 too

How was it a failure? They traded both picks and got players in as per the terms of the assistance package?
Do you think the AFL will just straight up give us priority picks to be used however we feel?

Weak defence, but held Geelong to their lowest ever score at GMHBA, and gave the two Coleman medallists a bath the week before.

Our defence has been our strongest asset this year, but this isn’t a Bulldogs thread so I won’t bore you all.

At the end of the day it’s down to the club’s management not bigfooty, I just can’t see the logic in spending our Baz pick on an area of surplus.

Not even Buss can get a game, imagine if Barass was there too!
Very surprised how well you done in the AGAINST total.

I do think and feel your coaches dont see this though is all.

How was it a failure? They traded both picks and got players in as per the terms of the assistance package?
Do you think the AFL will just straight up give us priority picks to be used however we feel?
Because they still absolutely suck and have done so for too long. A good 6 week patch isnt a catalyst for them to b e seen as a successful side when it comes to the rebuild process

I feel like the most successful aspect of drafting too sucess is Matt Rowell/Noah Anderson and how important it is to have 2 very good players coming up together at the same time. That move fast tracked Gold Coast rebuild a heap

Last edited:
Because they still absolutely suck and have done so for too long. A good 6 week patch isnt a catalyst for them to b e seen as a successful side when it comes to the rebuild process

I feel like the most successful aspect of drafting too sucess is Matt Rowell/Noah Anderson and how important it is to have 2 very good players coming up together at the same time. That move fast tracked Gold Coast rebuild a heap

I think it's very clear North are starting to gel and improve.

It sucks but we are rebuilding and frankly we need as many top 30 picks we can get our hands on, if losing Barrass allows for that it's a no brainer.

We shouldn't be romancing the idea that we'll be a finals team again with Barrass in our side, the bandaid needs to be ripped off.

Rip it off.

NOW!

forever young lol GIF by TV Land Classic

Kelly Clarkson Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 picks of 3,20,21,25 and 56 should be enough. 3,9,20,21,25 to me is overkill . I dont have much interest in trading 2 of these picks for like pick 10-12 either. Not enough upside to head down that far

We arent getting those though.

We arent a northern expansion club or a Vic minnow club.

Future 2nd and future 3rd that must be traded would be the max to hope for.

It took too long. The AFL dont have 3 years to wait for Eagles to be competitive. They need it done ASAP

Look I hope you're right and we get some amazing compo but I very much doubt it.

Disagree. Tom Langdon would have come close to winning a norm smith medal had they held on.

McCreery is a super important player for them and someone I’d love to have at the eagles.

Ginnivan just got like 150 champion data points against his old side. Their ability to retain him could be questioned I guess.

The others have shown they can be very good role players at times, and that’s what your team needs. Unfortunately what we lack.

Sure they were gifted Daicos but I don’t see why that should detract from their good drafting late in drafts.

If you took away Daicos and their injuries this year I believe they’d still be a strong team, premiership hangover notwithstanding
Of course, because that's where they are in the cycle, but the point is they have a very old team. What's behind the old players that replace them when they are done? That's the issue with missing out on recent drafts (like us losing that layer with trading picks for Kelly/Venebales retiring/Brander missing etc)

They have 9* best 22 players over 30.
1721957184062.png

We arent getting those though.

We arent a northern expansion club or a Vic minnow club.

Future 2nd and future 3rd that must be traded would be the max to hope for.
Id like to think AFL can see how much money we produce and be a bit more keen on not treating us that way.

If AFL want to give us such a package then im all for trading out Williams, Waterman and Barass as a starter. Id rather us get worse before we get better in that regard.

Whether we agree or not, Lobb has been better than Barass in every statistic since moving into defence. Now obviously playing for a contender with better midfield pressure would make a difference, and Barass has been a good defender for longer, but the difference would be very marginal and not worth a first round pick.
We do not agree.

Id like to think AFL can see how much money we produce and be a bit more keen on not treating us that way.

If AFL want to give us such a package then im all for trading out Williams, Waterman and Barass as a starter. Id rather us get worse before we get better in that regard.
I suspect the AFL is far keen to prop up poor teams rather than help those that can stand on their own two feet. They need the numbers for TV rights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back