Discussion 2012 List Management: De-Listings, Trades, Drafting & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really with aussierulesrules with this one. The big full back doesn't have to play every game. He needs to play in select games against big-bodied full forwards of forward/rucks. He's not worth getting on millions.

Get Tippett. He's got the right stats in terms of height and weight. He was offloaded by other clubs too impatient to give him the time necessary to develop physically into a proper big full back (GC has had a microwave attitude to recruiting and list management, and Brisbane is well, Brisbane :rolleyes: ). I have absolutely no problem with that, any more than I do us recruiting Tom Lee.

His character has been talked up considerably by those who know him from his SANFL team, and he won a flipping award in the role last year. The SANFL is a darn good quality level.

I can understand why they didn't take him in the draft the other day - simply put, they had five great kids, and hadn't delisted Winmar or another rookie yet (whether they should have bit the bullet earlier is a fun-yet-pointless debate). Now they have, I cannot fathom any logical reason not to take him.

Not taking a player in a lacking role, when there are none available, is one thing. Not taking one in a lacking role when he's just sitting right there saying "take me! take me!" is complete and utter stupidity.

C'mon! We've filled every other role necessary on our list: inside mids, outside mids, back flankers, short backs, medium backs, 2nd tall backs, playmakers, small forwards, medium forwards, tall forwards, rucks, utilities. To leave this gaping hole left open, just begging oppositions to exploit it like they did last year, when there is an easy solution, is just bizarre.

If we have delisted Winmar to draft Roberton then I will burn my membership.

Really???

Nothing personal but god I do tire of people who make threats like this. They of course don't follow through and if by chance they did, good riddance, We should never be governed by the threats of others.

It's not quite as simple as saying we must draft Tippett no matter what, though. We would really probably have to be sure that we were confident that he would make a good fist of it next year, especially if there is anyone else available at our pick that we also rate.

For instance, if we happen to rate Sam Colquhoun and he is available at our pick, but we believe that if we don't take him then he will be gone by the time our pick in the rookie draft comes up, then we will have to make a choice between Tippett and Colquhoun, knowing that Tippett may likewise be gone by the time our first pick in the rookie draft comes along.

So we'll probably have to be really sure that we rate Tippett, especially, as I said, if there is someone else available at our pick that we also rate.

Really???

Nothing personal but god I do tire of people who make threats like this. They of course don't follow through and if by chance they did, good riddance, We should never be governed by the threats of others.
I don't think he was really being serious, SS. :thumbsu:

I'd be telling Tippet to bide his time and go into the PSD, just sit the rookie draft out. Especially if we're going to delist Staley - we can rookie Cockie (we don't NEED Cockie on the main list - we've got mids up the brass razoo).

And yes, there may be some secret mysterious factor that we are unaware of that means recruiting Tippet is a bad idea. Bun on face value (which is all we really deal with on here), I just think it's a no brainer. :)

No worries, thanks for that. Sounds like he's had an op of some sort then, so here's hoping that it heals well and that it doesn't give him any more problems throughout his career. :thumbsu:

Surely Pelchen, Bains & co would have spent countless hours on their due diligence, with all our draftees.

The club can't afford to waste our early draft picks, or else we'll fall behind the pack, & the lower sides like, the Tigers, Bombers, GC, GWS & the Lions, will also have us chasing their tail..

It's uncanny the resemblance between a young Buddy & White, you'd swear they were identical twins.!

If White's willing to listen & dedicate himself, he'll be significantly more than a "good ordinary player".

His pace, attack on the loose ball, the way he bounces & presents on the lead is all Buddy like.

The major difference is White, has got goal kicking down to a fine art & that's reflected in his 35 goals 12 behinds for the Jet's & the highlights package.

How's the pick up, & then spin's out of the tackle, then screw's it around the corner for a goal..!

And the chat is he likes to take a speccy, we've potentially got a "matchwinner" in the making..

I expect Stanley, Wilkes, Milera, Siposs, Lee, Newnes, Tippett (if selected in the PSD) & Wright if available, to get the nod for Rd 1 !!

Considering the senior players we lost in BJ, Grammy & Cripps, I'm satisfied with their replacements in Lee, Hickey, Wright, White & TDL.

If Tippett is available in the PSD, it's a priority we pick him up.

We can enter next season, with some depth for our spine which we sorely lacked this year..!!

All of a sudden, we've got multiple options for each key post..

FB.....Tippett/Lee/Blake...
CHB... Fisher/Stanley/Lee
CHF.....Riewoldt/Lee/Stanley/Wilkes
FF.....Wilkes/Lee/Riewoldt
R........McEvoy/Hickey/Stanley

Yeah - I saw the article and went back through the tape. Glad you mentioned it. If you look at the initial interviews with the draftees, White is in the background with a cast on his forearm. Check out this video with Wright http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/151667/default.aspx suspect that they deliberately didn't interview him until the cast was off or they decided not to show it and interviewed him the next day. Then when he is interviewed by Holmesby he has his hands behind his back the whole time. My mail is that he had an operation on the tendon but that mail is not always good so sorry - don't know any more than that.
Yeah - I saw the article and went back through the tape. Glad you mentioned it. If you look at the initial interviews with the draftees, White is in the background with a cast on his forearm. Check out this video with Wright http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/151667/default.aspx suspect that they deliberately didn't interview him until the cast was off or they decided not to show it and interviewed him the next day. Then when he is interviewed by Holmesby he has his hands behind his back the whole time. My mail is that he had an operation on the tendon but that mail is not always good so sorry - don't know any more than that.

He has just had wrist surgery so will take a while to get up & running

Anyone know what the update is on Jordan Staley? If we are to delist 2 Rookies aswell safe to say it's Staley + Minchington not sure if they flew with the team or not as Curren & Shenton both did. Would be annoyed if we cut Minchington To Be honest.

Personally, I'd take a Tippett-type fill-in for 2013 & 2014. Even if he only played 8-10 games a year on the monster forwards we'd be better off. As mentioned, the 2013 draft looks great for KP players. I'd also be saving up money for a certain free agent in 2014!!

Really???

Only a figure of speech. Been through worse with the Saints over 40 years so it will take more than a bad draft to push me off the wagon :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Pelchen, Bains & co would have spent countless hours on their due diligence, with all our draftees.

The club can't afford to waste our early draft picks, or else we'll fall behind the pack, & the lower sides like, the Tigers, Bombers, GC, GWS & the Lions, will also have us chasing their tail..

It's uncanny the resemblance between a young Buddy & White, you'd swear they were identical twins.!

If White's willing to listen & dedicate himself, he'll be significantly more than a "good ordinary player".

His pace, attack on the loose ball, the way he bounces & presents on the lead is all Buddy like.

The major difference is White, has got goal kicking down to a fine art & that's reflected in his 35 goals 12 behinds for the Jet's & the highlights package.

How's the pick up, & then spin's out of the tackle, then screw's it around the corner for a goal..!

And the chat is he likes to take a speccy, we've potentially got a "matchwinner" in the making..

I expect Stanley, Wilkes, Milera, Siposs, Lee, Newnes, Tippett (if selected in the PSD) & Wright if available, to get the nod for Rd 1 !!

Considering the senior players we lost in BJ, Grammy & Cripps, I'm satisfied with their replacements in Lee, Hickey, Wright, White & TDL.

If Tippett is available in the PSD, it's a priority we pick him up.

We can enter next season, with some depth for our spine which we sorely lacked this year..!!

All of a sudden, we've got multiple options for each key post..

FB.....Tippett/Lee/Blake...
CHB... Fisher/Stanley/Lee
CHF.....Riewoldt/Lee/Stanley/Wilkes
FF.....Wilkes/Lee/Riewoldt
R........McEvoy/Hickey/Stanley
Mate, you're not going to get any arguments from me on any of that! Especially how good White is as a prospect. I've been keen on him since I first saw that video and kept on saying before the draft that I would have been OK with us using one of our 20's picks to get him, if we really rated him, despite the fact he was projected to go in the 30's or 40's in most places.

Although I'm not confident that all of Stanley, Wilkes, Milera, Siposs, Lee, Newnes, Tippett (if selected in the PSD) & Wright will be playing R1 next year though. I think we'd have to have a few injuries for that to happen (although Joey will be missing, so that opens up one more spot) and hopefully we won't!

Good post though. :thumbsu:

The major difference at this stage is the tank.

Much like our own Nick Riewoldt, Franklin kicks a lot more goals in 'red' time than would be expected, due to his superior tank.

It's not all about the skills ;)

White was projected to go in the 40's but when you think about it big men with that athleticism rarely last that far.

I'm pretty sure there was something like 8 KPP's taken in a row between our two picks which saw the likes of Clurey, Shaw, Wood and Close slip away from us if we were going to take them.

Likely to have seen White go in one of their places I imagine.

There were always solid comparisons between Cripps and Darling, and somewhat Lynch and Trengove (who I think many of us wanted to take and damn he'd be useful right about now). Will we see future comparisons between White and Clurey? Almost everyone wanted us to take him at 25/26 so be interesting to see how their careers pan out.

I'm pretty sure there was something like 8 KPP's taken in a row between our two picks which saw the likes of Clurey, Shaw, Wood and Close slip away from us if we were going to take them.

Likely to have seen White go in one of their places I imagine.

There were always solid comparisons between Cripps and Darling, and somewhat Lynch and Trengove (who I think many of us wanted to take and damn he'd be useful right about now). Will we see future comparisons between White and Clurey? Almost everyone wanted us to take him at 25/26 so be interesting to see how their careers pan out.
Could be Wright/Clurey as well.

LOL @ the pies supporters who think grundy is ready to go and will play a significant part in season 2013:
A8wuOTTCAAEvo4v.jpg

all first year players take time. its rare they will complete day 1. grundy is no different. he will get manhandled

I'm surprised that Pierce apparently outrucking Grundy in a game hasn't been talked about much

i also dont get that. i am surprise pierce slipped so far. he's skinny but gee most rucks are at that age!!! he's a kid, not a professional athelete. has huge potential IMO. imagine if you put grundy's weight on pierce. it would have been very interesting!!!

i also dont get that. i am surprise pierce slipped so far. he's skinny but gee most rucks are at that age!!! he's a kid, not a professional athelete. has huge potential IMO. imagine if you put grundy's weight on pierce. it would have been very interesting!!!
And apparently he weighs more than most say, in his interview with the St Kilda website I'm pretty sure he said he's 92kg at the moment, so he isn't a complete beanpole like Lever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back