Discussion 2012 List Management: De-Listings, Trades, Drafting & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did I say you used the term? Other people have, you guys seem to think its just you 2 on this forum.

BTW its not just me that agree he is all sudden new whipping boy at club.

I was having an opinion on the situation, and MY OPINION was it appeared he was the new whipping boy. But i forgot im not allowed an opinion :confused:

Oh and for the record if Roberton was signed by the Saints I probably would have said he was the new whipping boy judging by everyones (mine included) on him.

and you made that call after 30 minutes of the post that roberton had signed with us. within that 30 minute window there was only 13 posts contributed by 6 people posting.

and you made that call after 30 minutes of the post that roberton had signed with us. within that 30 minute window there was only 13 posts contributed by 6 people posting.

Conveniently forgetting the other 100+ posts about him before the announcement?

I feel like this is everyone in the thread. Who's watched many if any of this kids games? I recognised the name but had no idea who he was until pretty much the other day.

Surely we should wait till he gets a game and we see how he plays before berating him and the coaches.

you are making the assumption people havent seen him play. many Dockers supporters and WAFL watchers have seen him play quite regulary, be it for the dockers or east perth. the most favorable opinion you will get of him, is that the jury is still out on him.

IMO he just isnt up to it, a view shared by other people who have seen him play for east perth.

I have a valid reason why we picked him up.......He was drafted in 09!

Oh and this must have been the clinch bit of footage to win over from Cockie.........

Try not to laugh at that.

I have a valid reason why we picked him up.......He was drafted in 09!

Oh and this must have been the clinch bit of footage to win over from Cockie.........

Try not to laugh at that.

haha fair effort!!

That means we have 2 players on our list from 2009 draft!! Who said it was a failure :D

I saw a couple of posts from Freo fans in the other thread and they seem to think he isn't all that bad. Could become quite handy for us and has some good attributes.

Work in progress so to speak.

If we are going on the opinions of only those who have seen him play, reckon I will take those who followed the team he played for. Reckon they would have more of an idea than anyone else.

Whether you agree with the decision or not, time to breathe, look for the positives and support the young guy!

we
I saw a couple of posts from Freo fans in the other thread and they seem to think he isn't all that bad. Could become quite handy for us and has some good attributes.

Work in progress so to speak.

If we are going on the opinions of only those who have seen him play, reckon I will take those who followed the team he played for. Reckon they would have more of an idea than anyone else.

Whether you agree with the decision or not, time to breathe, look for the positives and support the young guy!
well said maxy give the kid a go hopefully he frees up geary or dempster to run through the guts. Blake and Fisher 30+ Dempster 28 and lost Goddard and Gram over the pre season thats some quality and roberton is ready to go so i can see the reasoning behind selecting.
In saying that i would have loved a full back but the kid must have done something right in the 2 weeks he was training with the saints, something Winnmar couldn't do.

Not a big Riverton fan. But gee some people are going overboard

we'll just have to see how it pans out. my worry is we've wasted an opportunity to get a better player. my worry is 8 years from now we'll look back on this (as we have done with other selections) and shake our heads wondering why we didnt select another player that went on to be a 200+ game star

we'll just have to see how it pans out. my worry is we've wasted an opportunity to get a better player. my worry is 8 years from now we'll look back on this (as we have done with other selections) and shake our heads wondering why we didnt select another player that went on to be a 200+ game star
Not many of those come out of the rookie draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not so much Roberton himself (though that's a big part of it) it's what else we could've done with that list spot. Colquhoun, Haynes etc didn't get drafted, Tippett was a possibility, and we've given that up for someone who might be an ok player in a position where we have multiple and better options? Just can't see the sense in it.

It's not so much Roberton himself (though that's a big part of it) it's what else we could've done with that list spot. Colquhoun, Haynes etc didn't get drafted, Tippett was a possibility, and we've given that up for someone who might be an ok player in a position where we have multiple and better options? Just can't see the sense in it.[/quotGo

Good point. Plenty of nice types that didn't get picked up for 1 reason or another.
The difference is that we have seen Roberton. What does he add that Ray and all the other 191cm blokes in the team don't already add?
My WA buddies are laughing at me right now. They can't believe we took him because he is not up to it. Bambi legs who gets pushed off the ball.
The phrase "Collingwood 6 footers" has become the St Kilda "6 foot 2's". We got bucket loads of them!

It's not so much Roberton himself (though that's a big part of it) it's what else we could've done with that list spot. Colquhoun, Haynes etc didn't get drafted, Tippett was a possibility, and we've given that up for someone who might be an ok player in a position where we have multiple and better options? Just can't see the sense in it.

This is the truth and i share your opinion of list gaps. But now that he is a saint I think the good thing is he still has the potential to be a very good player. He tested really well and after all the trading and drafts they still didn't pick up a big defender, there must be a very good reason, they are either very certain that someone on the list can play that position ie. Lee or they are planning something else. Gwilt and Simpkin will be better next year. Gears will be better next year. Who knows. I doubt their relying on Blake and Fisher to play FB on the gorrillas again next year.

Let's all just relax and wait until the poor kid has played a game or two before we form our opinion. He's trained with us for how long now? A few weeks? I trust that Scotty has done all the research on him possible to make an informed decision. No offense, but do you think Watters, Pelchan and co aren't aware of his WAFL form and how he went in his games for Freo? They've done their research, they know what they want in a player and the role they want him to perform. I'm not entirely happy with the decision but I trust our recruiters and our coaches to make a decision that is in the best interest of the footy club and I will continue to trust them until they prove otherwise.

I think some of us have already made our minds up about Roberton and I worry that not matter what he does, he will fail to win over support (which is exactly what happened with Raph - even when he played his heart out, he wouldn't receive his due congratulations).

It would be better if we went into this with a positive frame of mind, rather than a negative frame of mind is all i'm saying.

Couldn't agree more. I rate Colquhoun very highly and I would love to have him at St Kilda. He might be a tough player but he uses the football very well. I definitely trust the recruiting staff but I think there are better players available. Time will tell...

For me this decision is as bad as it was last year going into the season with NO recognised full back and NO back up ruckman. Even if they attempt to play Stanley or similiar down back we are just robbing peter to pay paul. I thought Roberton was a complete gumby (Tim Elliott style) at Freo and now he is with us - why should I be surprised?

Disgraceful list management in my view!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back