Discussion 2012 List Management: De-Listings, Trades, Drafting & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geary and Dempster is plenty to play on the "smalls", so if we have recruited Roberton for that role he will basically just be "depth", unless he is going to push one of them out. No way do we have room back there for all of Geary, Dempster, Roberton, Fisher, Simpkin, Gilbert, Gwilt, Siposs and possibly someone like Stanley (if the rumours that he will be tried there are correct).

I would have thought the last thing we would have needed was someone else around 191cm tall who doesn't play on "talls". Especially if their kicking is supposed to be ordinary and/or they are "soft".
I'd prefer Dempster remained in his role as a sweeper and Geary was pushed into the midfield myself.

The bloke has only just signed with the club and is already copping shit loads. Just saying it looks like we've found the Raph replacement

mate ive seen him play countless times for east perth. more so than winmar/crocker. so i dont see what you are getting at

mate ive seen him play countless times for east perth. more so than winmar/crocker. so i dont see what you are getting at

I never said you couldnt have an opinion on Roberton. Dont know where you got that from, all I said it looks like we have found new whipping boy from the responses in this thread.. Not too hard to understand is it? Or do you not think he is now a whipping boy already?

It seems like some just don't want you to have an opinion of him, or an opinion of the clubs choice to recruit him, unless it is the same as theirs.

I have no opinion of him personally, but I do have an opinion regarding the club's choice to get someone else who plays the exact same sort of role that so many in our team can already play.

I'd prefer Dempster remained in his role as a sweeper and Geary was pushed into the midfield myself.
I'd prefer them play small so Siposs/Dunell/Newnes/any other youngster is in the team rather than bringing in someone like Roberton just to release those guys.

Roberton offers nothing different than any of our other 189ish HB's. To me it makes absolutely no sense, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd prefer them play small so Siposs/Dunell/Newnes/any other youngster is in the team rather than bringing in someone like Roberton just to release those guys.

Roberton offers nothing different than any of our other 189ish HB's. To me it makes absolutely no sense, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Well I don't think the club would've recruited him for no reason, surely they have something in mind

It seems like some just don't want you to have an opinion of him, or an opinion of the clubs choice to recruit him, unless it is the same as theirs.

looks like that's the case.

looks like players are damned after 1-2 years playing in the VFL for our affiliate side. but the history of players plodding along in the WAFL is lost in a black hole somewhere, long forgotten, forever erased. so when they end up on our door step, they are the equivalent of first year players.

i just dont understand it.

I have no opinion of him personally, but I do have an opinion regarding the club's choice to get someone else who plays the exact same sort of role that so many in our team can already play.

As i said previously, I never once said he wasnt allowed an opinion. All I was pointing out is he's the whipping boy already and he hasnt even stepped into the club yet.Seems people need to learn to read properly and not put extra words into posts when reading!!

Also Fisher, Dempster, Blake arent getting any younger and we need to look ahead to who will replace those guys. We dont have many 190+cm defenders on our list as it is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But wouldn't we then have a backline who are all 188cm and above? The likes of Eddie Betts would run rings around us, we'd be way too top-heavy, surely.

I'd of thought Newnes would step into the Geary role if he moved into the midfield...

I never said you couldnt have an opinion on Roberton. Dont know where you got that from, all I said it looks like we have found new whipping boy from the responses in this thread.. Not too hard to understand is it? Or do you not think he is now a whipping boy already?

whipping boy refers to someone you unfairly take your frustrations out on.

roberton has 3 years of history at WAFL and AFL level. enough for people to start to form a solid opinion of where he is at as a player and whether or not he is worth recruiting.

his recruitment will divide supporters because it's confusing and questionable.

i think you're stirring the pot mate and trying to take the higher ground.

the comments on roberton are no different to comments you have had on players in the VFL when people have suggested their recruitment. one example that comes to mind is dower.

whipping boy refers to someone you unfairly take your frustrations out on.

roberton has 3 years of history at WAFL and AFL level. enough for people to start to form a solid opinion of where he is at as a player and whether or not he is worth recruiting.

his recruitment will divide supporters because it's confusing and questionable.

i think you're stirring the pot mate and trying to take the higher ground.

the comments on roberton are no different to comments you have had on players in the VFL when people have suggested their recruitment. one example that comes to mind is dower.
Who's to say he won't play a completely different role under Watters though?

give the guy a break, welcome 2 the mighty Saints

Shivers the guy hasn't kicked a ball in anger- yet already being slammed. Love how folks label someone soft. (been applied to Joel Tippett on these boards as well) Some players are outside types, but I doubt whether anyone 'soft' takes the field.

Apparently that was the knock on Sam Colquhoun not taken in the ND. Supposedly unaccountable, playing loose in defense -> as he was following instructions.....

Welcome mat to Roberton, hope he makes the best of his 2nd chance.
That said, think they really needed a bigger bodied tall back like Hartigan, Tippett or Wells

Who's to say he won't play a completely different role under Watters though?

how do you think it will be different?

can you comment on what his role was at freo or east perth and how it can change when he comes to the saints? how can we make him a better player?

Seems people need to learn to read properly and not put extra words into posts when reading!!
Are you referring to me there, because I see you mentioning the Raph "whipping boy" thing and am wondering exactly who you are referring to with that anaolgy? Because from what I have seen, most of us who are against this move are getting into the club about the decision to recruit him, not getting into Roberton himself, hence my saying, in the post you quoted: "or an opinion of the clubs choice to recruit him, unless it is the same as theirs".

Also Fisher, Dempster, Blake arent getting any younger and we need to look ahead to who will replace those guys. We dont have many 190+cm defenders on our list as it is now.
Fair enough, but I see Fisher and Dempster playing at least 2-3 more years and you don't recruit someone who is 21 and has played 3 seasons, with a reasonable amount of senior footy in them, because you want them to be ready to come in in 2-3 years time. I don't see him being kept on the list that long if he isn't in the 22 within probably 12 months. And if he is in the 22, I can easily see it stunting the development of someone else that could be just as good, by the sounds of it (from those who have seen a lot of him, and I'm not just talking about on here, but I've read much of the Roberton thread on the Freo board as well). Blake I don't have in the senior team anyway, so I consider him almost "gone" already.

If we were just recruiting someone for "depth", I just personally believe that we have other areas where we have more of a need and am pretty sure I am entitled to my opinion and my say on the matter, on a public forum set up for that very purpose.

I'd of thought Newnes would step into the Geary role if he moved into the midfield...
Are you suggesting that we would then have Newnes and Roberton in our back 6 next year, when we also presumably have to find spots for all of Dempster, Fisher, Simpkin, Gilbert, Gwilt, Siposs, not to mention if we want to get any games into the likes of Dunell, who could surely play across HB, Wright, who plays predominately across HB, or say Murdoch, who played there this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back