• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK Bicks rang 5AA tonight off his shift to explain to rowey why we had a surplus after matching the bid not a deficit.

This tells me two things
1. bicks is the only person in the media who understands the draft and the bidding system fully

2. he is definitely one of the people on here

OK Bicks rang 5AA tonight off his shift to explain to rowey why we had a surplus after matching the bid not a deficit.

This tells me two things
1. bicks is the only person in the media who understands the draft and the bidding system fully

2. he is definitely one of the people on here
He tweeted asking about it last night and had it explained to him by people on twitter. So neither of the above.

I think ultimately these list managers / draft strategists have bosses they have to answer to aswell. I don't think it's as simple as pick trades, especially when the picks aren't locked in.

Imagine if Essendon/Saints did that trade and;
  • Phillipou turned into the next Bont
  • or worse, Adelaide did what Sydney did from 2020 to 2021. They finished 16th in 2020, then 6th in 2021. If we finished 10 positions higher in 2023 the traded picks would be around 17 + 22 after priority picks and matched bids. Essendon folks would be getting fired.

I do agree that the political context has a part to play. Some recruiters sit on firmer seats than others, and that also might impact their risk appetite

the record of teams giving away future picks isn’t all that flash.

Come the following year, when a team is missing it’s picks, the team who has them usually seems pretty happy to me.

It’s the immediate gratification blokes that haven’t fared the best to my memory.

Collingwood trading away last years first to GWS
SOS trading away for Stocker, and watching Bolton nearly burn the club down
North not taking our ridiculous offer last year, and choosing to stay with JHF

Taking the jam tomorrow play seems the safer way to survive the board room to me

I do agree that the political context has a part to play. Some recruiters sit on firmer seats than others, and that also might impact their risk appetite

Come the following year, when a team is missing it’s picks, the team who has them usually seems pretty happy to me.

It’s the immediate gratification blokes that haven’t fared the best to my memory.

Taking the jam tomorrow play seems the safer way to survive the board room to me
Certainly would be interesting to have an in depth look at it across the drafts since trading future picks has been a thing to see what the hit and miss rates are

Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

Recent history certainly seems to support that contention. Largely the bottom 8 clubs looking for the quick bounce and it seldom seems to pay dividends, especially when it involves flight risks or draft bolters. It’s almost a case of being seen to try something bold in order to hasten the move up the ladder. The top 8 clubs then keep being able to draft top end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back