Autopsy 2022 Rd 13 Blues rain on Bomber's parade - 'Sheedy blames AFL for brave loss and demands an apology'

Who played well for the Blues vs the Dons in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams doesn't have the tank to play wing. Given the size and length of his contract it leaves us in a tough spot if he isn't best 22. I personally think he is but as you say it may not be clear cut depending on how we balance the side.
Williams really annoys me. He showed in that final series with the Giants that he can indeed play midfield. Then since he has come to us, it seems he lacks the tank to do so. Is it that he is a bit lazy and un-professional or is he just purely a half back flanker? Probably the later, frustrating none the less. He would be so damaging in the middle with his pace.

Wonder what owies said to the * supporters when he kicked his first goal

”Put your dentures back in, I can’t understand you.”, followed by, “Sorry, I thought we were playing Collingwood.“, followed by, “Well, both your clubs are campaigners.”

Owies was out there killing two birds with one stone on Friday night.

We barely beat a bad side. My worry is we'll shut up shop and we'll start filling spots with senior 'depth' and more of the same. We aren't there yet.

I haven't read back to what started the conversation but the talk of Dean vs Docherty reminded me of what I was thinking about last night. We have an exciting core of players that we haven't had since our last premiership but that got me thinking about how many of our current players would make the 1995 side? I count six that would easily make it and maybe a seventh on the bench for team balance. I'm not saying that the difference in the rest is entirely talent related but the 1995 side had players that all played their roles to a tee. If we manage to pinch one with the side basically as it is now, and I'm not saying we necessarily can't, then premiership sides aren't what they used to be. I wouldn't want to risk it.
Speaking about 1995. How come players didnt get injured then like now?
Im sure there was the odd one here and there but now its like a never ending flow of injuries.
They werent less tough, thats forsure

Just wondering what you all have thought of LOB's last couple games?
I am trying to look at him over a long period of time, rather than week to week. This has easily been his best season from a competitiveness and hands perspective. I try and visualise ahead 2 years and I think at this rate of improvement he will have neutralised his weaknesses sufficiently and his strengths will be amplified. That’s good enough for me. Persist.

Realised last night more so of just how important Bam Bam is to our overall structure, just go look at how often he’s in the upper brackets of marks taken for the game.

Been brilliant this season.
You’d love an explanation as to why he is only playing 66 percent game time though right? Even when another mid (Cerra) goes down early. It’s NOT cardio fitness. He’s a super fit guy these days. He’s not running out of tank. It’s either (a) concern about keeping his pace up or (b) he’s playing hurt.

Would love an insider to explain.

Can we just all take a minute to understand how good Charlie has been this year.

Coming from a long way back over the last 2 years and not only leading the coleman but playing great team footy with his mate Harry.Arguably the best forward combination in the league.

Unbelievable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I respect and admire Harry McKay. I think he’s our ‘best’ player now, I truly do.

I have similar feelings about Weitering. Respect. Admiration. Gratitude.

Cripps at his best is just awe inspiring.

BUT I LOVE two players like they’re my sons. Sam Walsh just literally tries harder than any player I have ever seen play. For anyone. Any team. It truly makes my heart glow watching him. Against the Pies when the chips were down in the second he just said “**** this” and never gave in. And he’s like that every week.

But Charlie, look I hate saying this as many of you know Sam Walsh had me at hello……but Charlie is my favourite child. And I know you’re not supposed to have favourites. He’s the guy who I went to Box Hill and watch play VfL SECONDS (as in not even vfl firsts) after he came back from glandular fever. He just takes my breath away Charlie.

There is so much of the Brendan Fevola about him it’s not funny. Yet he doesn’t disrespect anyone. He doesn’t run up to opponents and get in their face. He just plays and has fun. Just fun.

He can do ANYTHING. Long bombs from 60. He’s launching again (please don’t but ok!). Rag dolls opponents. Out crafts them. Dribble kicks.

It’s a kinda magic.

He’s the only player since Fev who makes me ‘smile a certain kind of smile’: the ‘oh Charlie’ smile. The smile that says ‘I kind of know every single other fan of every single other club wished you played for them……but you play for US.’ So hard to explain.

He’s so very special. And I’m so very glad to have him back. And yes, I’m emotional. He makes me emotional. Happy emotion.

He gives me SO MUCH joy.

Just wondering what you all have thought of LOB's last couple games?
Done his job but The thing that stands out to me is that he seems to have zero vertical leap when competing for high balls. Maybe he needs power training to improve this. Would get him practising overhead ball after training. It is not for a lack of effort in these contests

Generally been using it well. The hit up to CD looked amazing but on review it only just got over the * player and made CD come back to the ball. Should have had another 5-10m on it which would have resulted in a kick closer to goal

Last edited:
I respect and admire Harry McKay. I think he’s our ‘best’ player now, I truly do.

BUT I LOVE two players like they’re my sons. Sam Walsh just literally tries harder than any player I have ever seen play. For anyone. Any team. It truly makes my heart glow watching him. Against the Pies when the chips were down in the second he just said “duck this” and never gave in. And he’s like that every week.

But Charlie, look I hate saying this as many of you know Sam Walsh had me at hello……but Charlie is my favourite child. And I know you’re not supposed to have favourites. He’s the guy who I went to Box Hill and watch play VfL SECONDS (as in not even vfl firsts) after he came back from glandular fever. He just takes my breath away Charlie.

There is so much of the Brendan Fevola about him it’s not funny. Yet he doesn’t disrespect anyone. He doesn’t run up to opponents and get in their face. He just plays and has fun. Just fun.

He can do ANYTHING. Long bombs from 60. He’s launching again (please don’t but ok!). Rag dolls opponents. Out crafts them. Dribble kicks.

It’s a kinda magic.

He’s the only player since Fev who makes me ‘smile a certain kind of smile’: the ‘oh Charlie’ smile. The smile that says ‘I kind of know every single other fan of every single other club wished you played for them……but you play for US.’ So hard to explain.

He’s so very special. And I’m so very glad to have him back. And yes, I’m emotional. He makes me emotional. Happy emotion.

He gives me SO MUCH joy.
Great post. But dont forget Jack Silvagni.
He is just about our most important player right now.
A 'Jack' of all trades that glues the whole thing together. He rucks, runs the wing, drops into holes down back, goes through the middle, gets forward and gets goals, tackles well and is creative and professional.

After watch the replay it reaffirmed my belief that it was a solid win.

CD had 3 chances to put us 7 goals up halfway through the 3 rd ( set shot was regulation and the last shot was a soda)

Their last goal which was in the 3 rd quarter came from a 50 and of 8 points the scored after half time only the Wright point was a bad miss.

We opened them up a number of times in the last but couldn’t connect. Cripps needs to work on this as I can’t remember a kick inside 50 resulting in a goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watch the replay it reaffirmed my belief that it was a solid win.

CD had 3 chances to put us 7 goals up halfway through the 3 rd ( set shot was regulation and the last shot was a soda)

Their last goal which was in the 3 rd quarter came from a 50 and of 8 points the scored after half time only the Wright point was a bad miss.

We opened them up a number of times in the last but couldn’t connect. Cripps needs to work on this as I can’t remember a kick inside 50 resulting in a goal
Watching the replay on Durdins set shot. Redman was jumping up and down on the spot. I thought the players had to stand on the mark.

Same thing when Laverde smothered Harry's set shot later that quarter but he was stepping side to side.

Both desered a 50m penalty to the goal line.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

BUT I LOVE two players like they’re my sons. Sam Walsh just literally tries harder than any player I have ever seen play. For anyone. Any team. It truly makes my heart glow watching him. Against the Pies when the chips were down in the second he just said “duck this” and never gave in. And he’s like that every week.

It’s a kinda magic.

He gives me SO MUCH joy.
I agree with all of this.
In regards to Sam Walsh and his endeavours...I haven't seen a player like him since Craig Bradley although Walshy is more in and under, but the gut running from contest to contest...second to none!!

I've noticed a lot of players kicking on their non-preferred foot this year, so I reckon it's something they practice at training, and encouraged to do in games.

Some haven't come good yet, but I am comfortable with them trying as it will open the game up so much more.
Noticed that LOB was playing on the 'right footers' wing last night - at least for part of the game (haven't yet watched the replay). Wondered whether it was to encourage (force) him to get more comfortable on his non-preferred? Or perhaps to encourage him to turn inboard for a more attacking kick? Maybe both.

Watching the replay on Durdins set shot. Redman was jumping up and down on the spot. I thought the players had to stand on the mark.

Same thing when Laverde smothered Harry's set shot later that quarter but he was stepping side to side.

Both desered a 50m penalty to the goal line.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Defenders have been jumping up and down on the mark for a couple of weeks when players are kicking for goal.
The rules simply are being applied as umpires determine at any one point in time.
The rules are really a joke.

I nearly choked on my weet-bixs this morning when I looked at the votes given by Peter Ryan of the Nine News Group. He rated Draper as equal best on ground with Sam Docherty. Then snuck Shiel alongside Hewett and Newman into the best as well. No room for Saad, Walsh, Cripps, McKay or Young.

I've noticed a lot of players kicking on their non-preferred foot this year, so I reckon it's something they practice at training, and encouraged to do in games.

Some haven't come good yet, but I am comfortable with them trying as it will open the game up so much more.
I said the same thing to my mate during the game. All players seem to have been encouraged to give it a go. Try, try, try again until you improve. Cripps leading from the front and having a go when he has to. Is a long way off, but will improve. Fish goal on the right amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 13 Blues rain on Bomber's parade - 'Sheedy blames AFL for brave loss and demands an apology'

Back