Preview 2023 Rd 14 Carlton vs Gold Coast Sunday June 18 1:10PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misses goals like ... Harry and the rest of the team?

Below standard skill execution up forward like ... TDK and basically anybody else up there? He's more skilled than some of them for sure. He creates for others.

When did he play in defence and get exposed as being top slow? Who did we measure him against?

Not tall enough to play KPP but taller than Gov and Kemp?

He does try hard. He also covers for others and let's them know when they have ****ed up. How refreshing.
I get it now.
Most Carlton players = bad.
JSOS = superman who should reign supreme over those bad dudes.

I get it now.
Most Carlton players = bad.
JSOS = superman who should reign supreme over those bad dudes.

You've got something. I'm not sure that 'it' is what you have.

The thing about forums is that when you post things, some might disagree and might address the points you make and offer up a counter argument.

You then have the option to do the same to their argument.

Or you can get snarky and claim they said something they didn't say.

Could Cincotta take over from JSos in the forward line in the future?
He played a couple of games in the reserves late last year as CHF.
He kicked a beautiful goal last week from outside 50. I liked the idea.
Cincotta is a good average player.. should never be a best 22 type, good depth to come in and out of the side when required but we shouldn’t be pushing others a side to find him a role.

Young is badly out of form, but against Levi, King and Jack L he needs to play as you could not play Kemp or Gov on either King or Levi.

Goes both ways though. What they would get on us in height in a one on one, should in theory translate to use being able to run off them and start some attacking rebounds.

Weitering to King (good battle)
Kemp to Jack L (could be an issue)
Gov to Casboult (mismatched in height but can exploit Casboult’s lack of speed and run off and cause GC issues.)

On current form I’d rather take a punt on that setup than play Young. It’s all about that attacking mindset rather than simply trying to negate a matchup. That’s been our mentality all year and it hasn’t worked. Let Young go back to the reserves and find form like what happens at every successfully run club.

Could Cincotta take over from JSos in the forward line in the future?
He played a couple of games in the reserves late last year as CHF.
He kicked a beautiful goal last week from outside 50. I like the idea.
I’m keen to see cinc play in forward group. Is mobile and a great kick.

Kemp is another one but with the added bonus of taking hangers.

Continues to be a rubbish narrative that’s because of his last name!! How about the coaches do some coaching and define his role, and put him in the best position to succeed!! You can’t tell me that a coach like McRae wouldn’t bring the best out of Jack, if he leaves and I wouldn’t blame him one bit if he does. He would succeed at a club like Collingwood with a coach like McRae

What makes you think he'd succeed under McRae? He's now over 100 games and 8 seasons into defining a role and making one his own. He's played under three coaches at Carlton and hasn't shown himself to be anything more than an average player under any of them, in any position. If he leaves then he leaves.

What makes you think he'd succeed under McRae? He's now over 100 games and 8 seasons into defining a role and making one his own. He's played under three coaches at Carlton and hasn't shown himself to be anything more than an average player under any of them, in any position. If he leaves then he leaves.
Makes it hard to play forward if you can’t mark or kick. As you say it’s been 8 years. That’s a massive amount of time for not much improvement.

Makes it hard to play forward if you can’t mark or kick. As you say it’s been 8 years. That’s a massive amount of time for not much improvement.
He has improved. It’s just not dramatic enough to get a long term contract but I’d give him a year with a trigger for a second. He’s good depth at the least.

True both rucks do seem to lack forward craft but we can't go into a game with only one ruck. The two rucks is still a better option than 1 plus JSOS, especially since TDK is more athletic and more likely to take a pack mark. JSOS has a bad habit of double grabbing every mark. He doesn't take many pack marks and he doesn't get many marks on the lead due to a lack of pace. It means he has no weapons to manufacture easy goals. He was born with an unbelievable footy brain but doesn't have the speed, agility, or clean hands to score easily. He also adds to our lack of ability to tackle in the forward 50 even if he is one of the only ones that chases.

Two rucks gives our mids more first possessions and subsequently more forward 50s. Have to have the ball inside 50 to win a game.
I don't know, TDK drops his fair share of marks too, he just looks more impressive while doing it.

For all his limitations, JSOS offers several things that are currently in short supply for us up forward. He leads at the ball, creating movement and space. He consistently makes second and third efforts. He has the smarts to find better options more often than others. Not sure I agree about tackles either. Only Kennedy had more tackles for us than JSOS last week, and a few weeks ago against the Pies JSOS had a team high 7 tackles (equal with Durdin).

Certainly TDK competes better in the ruck than JSOS (although I wish his taps to advantage were better). But I think we lose more by omitting JSOS than some here seem to believe.

That's an opinion. Considering his brother was delisted and his Dad isn't at the club, that doesn't really ring true does it?

I guess the proof in the pudding moving forward, will be if another club picks him up if we toss him out. Given we are now in 15th spot, their is a good chance that a better team than us takes a chance on him.

It might be an opinion, but its very easy to make the argument he's always been judged differently because he's a Silvagni. It might not be fair, but I'd suggest its very much a plausible narrative

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has improved. It’s just not dramatic enough to get a long term contract but I’d give him a year with a trigger for a second. He’s good depth at the least.
He’s never been an overhead mark. He’s tried a few but not very effective. Also when Running out on a lead he doesn’t cushion the impact so often ball bounces off his palms. He should have sorted this out at the very least because he does provide leads often which is a good thing. No good if you can’t mark or kick truly though.

Misses goals like ... Harry and the rest of the team?

Below standard skill execution up forward like ... TDK and basically anybody else up there? He's more skilled than some of them for sure. He creates for others.

When did he play in defence and get exposed as being top slow? Who did we measure him against?

Not tall enough to play KPP but taller than Gov and Kemp?

He does try hard. He also covers for others and let's them know when they have ****ed up. How refreshing.
To be fair, he was missing way before Harry got the yips.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cincotta is a good average player.. should never be a best 22 type, good depth to come in and out of the side when required but we shouldn’t be pushing others a side to find him a role.
The reality is a lot of our players are not really best 22 types. If Cincotta is a good average player he’s not really keeping anyone out and offering more than most.

He’s never been an overhead mark. He’s tried a few but not very effective. Also when Running out on a lead he doesn’t cushion the impact so often ball bounces off his palms. He should have sorted this out at the very least because he does provide leads often which is a good thing. No good if you can’t mark or kick truly though.
Do you think he gets on a top 8 list if we let him go? Because I reckon some teams would love to have him.

People forget that JSOS was dropped last week but was given a reprieve when Pitto was a late out.

Clearly the match committee think that we should be placing more emphasis on the ruck contests than what Jack can do up forward. Fair call I think.

We have gone from Owies, Durdin and Motlop to Owies, Martin and hopefully Cuningham up forward. Looks a much better spread in the variation of the players. Motlops time will come.

Liking the squad. Interesting to see how it is culled tomorrow.
It’s been weeks since I thought we were at least 50/50, it’s a better balanced squad and this week I’m at least hopeful. JSOS has had little impact, won’t take us anywhere unless he reinvents himself as a 3rd defender down back

Continues to be a rubbish narrative that’s because of his last name!! How about the coaches do some coaching and define his role, and put him in the best position to succeed!! You can’t tell me that a coach like McRae wouldn’t bring the best out of Jack, if he leaves and I wouldn’t blame him one bit if he does. He would succeed at a club like Collingwood with a coach like McRae
Serious question- would you fear us playing against him? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back