Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use a pick 6 on a small forward 2 years after using pick 5 on a small forward.

You don't think that's way too much to invest into that position?

Doing it once is already way too much. That said, if we were rolling all 3 through midfield rotations with Pedlar, Schoey, Dawson and Laird/Crouch (until they're done), both our small forward and midfield stocks would be top 4 worthy. Problem is that we inherently favour a 4 person midfield structure with only a few crumbs thrown to a 5th. But that 6 man rotation significantly improves our midfield without sacrificing our ahead of the ball scoring power. Add a genuinely slick and elite ball using mid, not an accumulator, and we'd be really, really close.

And I think it would be folly to look at our late picked mids and think they'll amount to anything other than being fringe backup. What % of A grade/elite mids spend a year 2 in the lower league to 'develop'? Without checking, and injury notwithstanding, I would expect very, very few.

Where did you hear this ? ......because i've heard media snippets from club personnel, saying the opposite ....Rankine has the tank

does he? Why is he gassed half way through a season then? The mids recruited around him in his draft seem capable of running out a season primarily in midfield roles. Maybe we're just unlucky or are elite when it comes to player management. Clubs like Hawks, GWS, Port or Pies are just amateurs compared to us. I can smell their envy from here.

does he? Why is he gassed half way through a season then? The mids recruited around him in his draft seem capable of running out a season primarily in midfield roles. Maybe we're just unlucky or are elite when it comes to player management. Clubs like Hawks, GWS, Port or Pies are just amateurs compared to us. I can smell their envy from here.
I didn't get that impression with Rankine .....yes, Rachele ....and that's an issue

So, you're taking a swipe at Burgess now .....interesting take

Doing it once is already way too much. That said, if we were rolling all 3 through midfield rotations with Pedlar, Schoey, Dawson and Laird/Crouch (until they're done), both our small forward and midfield stocks would be top 4 worthy. Problem is that we inherently favour a 4 person midfield structure with only a few crumbs thrown to a 5th. But that 6 man rotation significantly improves our midfield without sacrificing our ahead of the ball scoring power. Add a genuinely slick and elite ball using mid, not an accumulator, and we'd be really, really close.

And I think it would be folly to look at our late picked mids and think they'll amount to anything other than being fringe backup. What % of A grade/elite mids spend a year 2 in the lower league to 'develop'? Without checking, and injury notwithstanding, I would expect very, very few.

What percentage of CBA’s would you like to for the 4th, 5th and 6th ranked mids?

Think Rahes issue when it comes to his tank is he has spent more time building size than athleticism. That may pay off later on for him but at present it is a concern as I'd like to see him spending large patches in the midfield.

On our midfield though, I really worry about how that looks this year. Crouch can only play the one position so if he is in, we have to be more adaptable with Laird because we really need to be planning for the future from this point and that can't be Laird spending 90% CBAs, we need to bat deep if we are to get into the 8. Of course that will necessitate a "man" conversation with Sloane, we can't afford him in the middle.

Hearing we're trying to move to pick 4 without using our first rounder might match up with what I was told about Brayden Cook being gettable if the price is right. Probably matches up with those McHenry rumours too. Sounds like we'll offer up a current non-22 player if it gets us a 2nd in return, so that could include Sholl and Berry as well.

Sounds like we may go for pure volume in a trade and maybe try and keep one of our picks in the 20's too?

Like do something like
Pick 24
Shane McAdam comp
Tom Doedee comp
Trade value from a outside 22 guy

And that leaves us with 4, 9 and 21.

Hearing we're trying to move to pick 4 without using our first rounder might match up with what I was told about Brayden Cook being gettable if the price is right. Probably matches up with those McHenry rumours too. Sounds like we'll offer up a current non-22 player if it gets us a 2nd in return, so that could include Sholl and Berry as well.

Sounds like we may go for pure volume in a trade and maybe try and keep one of our picks in the 20's too?

Like do something like
Pick 24
Shane McAdam comp
Tom Doedee comp

Chol and Burgess?

If they're in with pick 4 than that works too, though I have my doubts Chol would nominate us.
Look, if something like what you mention is on the cards and Burgess is included, it would be a great trade period and give us real ammunition to go to the draft this year and maybe even to trade say pick 9 into next year for the right deal on draft night

I didn't get that impression with Rankine .....yes, Rachele ....and that's an issue

So, you're taking a swipe at Burgess now .....interesting take

Hold on, you just agreed re Rach, sure you’re not taking a swipe at Burgess? Unreal, normally I expect contradiction among your posts, not within them.

Anyway, reality is that peak fitness is limited by physiological factors. There might be a reason he wasn’t a gun midfielder prior to being drafted. Spending elite mid draft collateral on a small forward hoping they can become a full time mid carries increased risk. You don’t have to be that smart to understand this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What percentage of CBA’s would you like to for the 4th, 5th and 6th ranked mids?

What I’d like is for people I discuss footy with to understand that midfield is more than CBAs and stoppage win/loss stats. Obviously that’s a bit much for you. But I retain hope that others can catch up.

Like do something like
Pick 24
Shane McAdam comp
Tom Doedee comp

Sholl, Himmelberg, Doedee, McAdam and potentially McHenry compo.

You know it, I know it, and so should anyone that has watched AFl.

There is a reason why the club couldn't wait to extend him a further 2 years and Borlase is still waiting likely to see who is available by trade/draft.
Keane is much better, but hope we keep Borlase.

He has good IQ. Just poor aerobically.

I guess he has already had a few seasons with Burgesd to fix that.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like do something like
Pick 24
Shane McAdam comp
Tom Doedee comp

If we started with a McHenry trade and then added that pick to Berry and then Sholl, I doubt we’d end up with much at all. But it’s definitely what we should be doing, cycle through depth players with picks to end up closer/further into the first round. Historically we’ve carried way too much depth. Unless you’re genuine contending, depth should be kids on the way up or out, not 50 game mid agers.

Sholl, Himmelberg, Doedee, McAdam and potentially McHenry compo.
Has there been any genuine trade talk by other clubs with regard to Sholl & McHenry?

Neither mentioned on the trade board.

We can do better...Cheaply.
Borlase is cheap, we have him.

Burgess is also good depth at both ends (and can pinch hit Ruck) plug and play and is likely to be cheap. An upgrade on Hberg imo.

Unless us and GC fail to agree on a trade, Burgess is coming home. Pretty good source on this.

Borlase is cheap, we have him.

Burgess is also good depth at both ends (and can pinch hit Ruck) plug and play and is likely to be cheap. An upgrade on Hberg imo.

Unless us and GC fail to agree on a trade, Burgess is coming home. Pretty good source on this.

He's also 192cm and slow...and would take a main list spot.

4 dickhead, some people work weekends.
So you going to post the 4 goals he cost us?
I bet you can’t.
And yes Alex would get personal for no reason, I had a different opinion and you chose to throw the toys out the cot as well as bullshitting.
i dont need to it's obvious watch the f$kn replay

you are in you're own and you keep changing the story. one minute its borlase is better than butts next minute its hes fine for backup.

hes no good, and they know it. looking for a replacement and will delist as soon as thats arranged.

i dont need to it's obvious watch the f$kn replay

you are in you're own and you keep changing the story. one minute its borlase is better than butts next minute its hes fine for backup.

hes no good, and they know it. looking for a replacement and will delist as soon as thats arranged.
No I don’t, I’ve been pretty clear, he is fine for a backup and my point with the better than butts comment was his first game was better than any individual from butts career so far.
The last one is subjective and my opinion.
Still waiting for those 4 goals he gave up though….

No I don’t, I’ve been pretty clear, he is fine for a backup and I said his first game was better than any individual from butts career so far.
The last one is subjective and my opinion.
Still waiting for those 4 goals he gave up though….
just start going to the footy or keep mouth closed. anyway hes gone or would be signed bu now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back