Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The article says this

In recent days, however, Oliver has shown a willingness to return to the fold. He has put his hand up to say that his living arrangements and social lifestyle hasn’t been befitting of an AFL player.

Yet the reports from last night were he's open to a move to the Crows and players from both clubs know about it.
He's allegedly moved in with Gawn, because he's lost his way over recent weeks

Apologies if posted all ready, but here's the latest from Fox:

There has to be more to the whole thing than "Oliver wasn't happy with his injury rehab process".
Sounds like Oliver and Goodwin probably dont get along combined with Gawn and Oliver disliking each other. Whether he comes to us or not it sounds like he won't be at melb in 2024.

I think thats under valuing one of the best players in the comp in our area of most need who will be in his prime the next 5 years. To obtain this sort of player you need to give up more than one average first rounder in a below average draft. Mc Adam is absolute steak knives as a 29 yo who hardly plays (but is talented, just not worth much esp considering age and injuries)

At start of year, Oliver ranked 5th in HS top 50 only below Curnow, Bont, Petracca and Cripps.

Assuming there are no drug strike issues (or other material issues we arent aware of but out DD should show up and I do think Goody and Roo being best mates might help protect us here) then go as hard as possible for Oliver with draft picks - 2 x first rounders (both will likely be 12-18 in the respective years), plus 1-2 second rounders and Mc Adam. Very happy to give all of that up. Just dont give away our other elite (inc potential) youngsters - TT, Fog, Worrell, Rachele, Rankine. Soligo is the interesting one I would consider however if it saves us one of the first round draft picks (which is unlikely)

View attachment 1822660
The biggest travesty here is Cripps being rated at 4. He wouldn’t make my top 20 or 30.

Only in hindsight though. At the time it was just another run of the mill trade.
Mc Leod was rumoured to be in contention for the number one draft pick that year so always thought it was an exceptional trade but no one could forsee the events of only 3-4 years afterwards. I was absolutely stoked when Freo accepted Groom as a trade for him as he was very highly rated as a youngster but had too much attitude for the Freo coach at the time (slouching in chair during interview, wearing an earing from memory)

Melbourne is telling the market they still want him so his value will be higher not the other way around.
But they want to retain him, UNLESS the situation is untenable.

Therefore if he is put up for trade then they are saying the situation has escalated to crisis point and he is being pushed out the door, hence his value drops.

Mc Leod was rumoured to be in contention for the number one draft pick that year so always thought it was an exceptional trade but no one could forsee the events of only 3-4 years afterwards. I was absolutely stoked when Freo accepted Groom as a trade for him as he was very highly rated as a youngster but had too much attitude for the Freo coach at the time (slouching in chair during interview, wearing an earing from memory)
God forbid he wore an earring!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they want to retain him, unless the situation is untenable.

Therefore if he is put up for trade then the situation has escalated to crisis point and he is being pushed out the door, hence his value drops.
If the club is seen as still wanting to keep the player then their value will be higher, this seem to be the strategy Melbourne has used instead of saying straight out we want to trade him which will mean his value will be less.

Clayton Oliver has told Melbourne he wants to stay and Melbourne is open to Oliver staying as a potential trade out de-escalates.

“They do not want to trade him unless he makes it impossible to be retained.”

So if he’s on the trade block he is significantly devalued. That or he stays.
The other interesting titbit from the SEN piece was ....that "Oliver has to turn up for training in better condition" .....which suggests some partying going on

So you're saying that the Greyhound syndicate is just a front that the club is using to pay players under the table?
I didn't think the Greyhound Industry were big payers on races ?

Could absolutely see them ask for Fog or Thilthorpe. In fact they should.

I think pick 9 is. Given and probably F1 as well

No way both players but it probably is about where this starts. Whether our seconds help them get another player who knows

Would you do 9,F1 and Thilthorpe?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nope. I would do 9 and F1 but not our long term CHF (that went pick 2 in 2020).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back