Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the more unrealistic the better, drives conversation.

It's does make you wonder why we are targeting a player like that though.

I can only imagine cheap, versatile (played a year as an underside ruck for GC) and I reckon has played some back as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

O'Sullivan Main draft target
Not sure if this is where to put this but a mate of mine who is a sponsor at the club believes our primary target this year is Connor O’Sullivan. Was told by a senior player (probably the most senior).

Makes sense and he has amazing ceiling but personally I would still be going midfield.

Not sure if this is where to put this but a mate of mine who is a sponsor at the club believes our primary target this year is Connor O’Sullivan. Was told by a senior player (probably the most senior).

Makes sense and he has amazing ceiling but personally I would still be going midfield.

Adelaide and drafting defenders with top end picks. Name a more iconic duo

Having potentially missed out on a bigger fish, I’ve heard that a certain club in need of a ruckman is targeting Strachan for next season.

Murphy's a lot better than given credit for ....however ultimately, IMO, he'll be on the fringe of the best 22 .....similar to McHenry

I'm the other way with Murphy. At the moment I think there is a serious chance he'll end up a 200 gamer here if he stays healthy.

Ideal scenarios and all that, and a lad like Murphys ideal scenario is a side that has a three-headed monster of elite talent leading a forwardline. It doesn't take much for a side like that to nullify goalkicking power as a genuine need. Not only that, but he's cheap.

depth should largely be kids that you're churning through. Career depth players clogging the 25-35 positions is disastrous.

That comes back to the main point though, cheap depth is the goal. Mid-tier prospects are cheap.

A 28 year old is worth just as much as a 21-22 year old if both are just there as injury cover for a campaign. Both might boom if they're system fits but likely it's just a body to throw into the lineup for a week or two to cover injuries. You don't want to fully flush a list with them, but having a few isn't disastrous providing you're not paying much more then the bare minimum. Especially if they cover some of the rarer positions to find quality.

There aren't too many career depth lads floating around, and most offer a niche. Either ruck + something else, or pure inside mids.

and yet we extend Murphy and Sloane, both spuds with no value to a contending 22. McAdam has value.

The thing is the amount of players who have value to a contender is it's much higher than you assume. After all, a contender is built by elite talent and how you maximise said elite talent - hello that magical structure word. To the point the question is do they have value to Adelaide with how we're tracking.

Take Murphy? He certainly ticks that box. Adelaide are flushed with elite offensive talents throughout their lineup at the moment, especially in the forward line. It's also very unlikely Pedlar will get any considerable midfield minutes until 2025--2026, as he looked nowhere near ready for it in '23 and he's too valuable as a 4-6th forward to end up on a wing. A cheap grinder who can run all day, fill holes, isn't a black hole production wise, and is willing to recklessly put his body on the line to make a play has a lot of value in that kind of set up. Gryan Miers at Geelong last year is an example of a similar player in a similar situation winning a flag. In a world where the salary cap doesn't exist, Murphy doesn't have a career.

Sloane? Agreed, he's just too diminished as a footballer to have value on a contender. Teams can make a low accumulation contested ball winner work, however Sloanes accumulation is too low even for that. He's really the canary in the coalmine that Adelaide has/d a squad that genuinely lacks inside grunt, alongside the whole unable to settle on a third inside midfielder issue that plagued us this year. Keeping Matt Crouch does a bit to alleviate this in 2024, but then again, that seems rather up in the air at the moment - alongside being a player who has his own issues, i.e. slow, middling defensively, will take up a lot of bench time.

McAdam? That depends on what the market says he worth. We could easily find ourselves in a scenario where he has no or even negative value just due to how much we've overinvested in offensive players. Goalkickers don't have a lot of value in a side that had six lads kick over 20 in a year and most being under 25 (+ Thilthorpe who just missed out on 18). It's the same situation Doedee finds himself in, where the value is mainly giving coverage if certain lads gets struck down by injury and you don't pay for that, even if you could find a role to fit McAdam in the meantime. If there was no salary cap, you pay him without thinking.

it's obvious, we believe we've got our contending 25, just need to build the depth underneath them.

Nope. It says one or multiple of five things:
a) we failed at bringing in our ideal targets (i.e. Redman and Day) and are scrambling
b) we are worried about our tall forward stocks
c) we really like Burgess for whatever reason
d) we're looking at someone else from Gold Coast and this is just a guess at who fits
e) Burgess management is trying to drum up some interest by saying he's available.

I kind of lean to e, as it's not a target that makes any real sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not?

he’s contracted and we desperately need him as we have fxxk all depth in the main ruck position. He goes and we’re putting our season next year at risk if ROB goes down early with a bad injury.

would rather we keep him than get a junk nothing pick for him..

if a team desperately needs a ruck then they can pay up. If not, fxxk off we’re keeping him.

Would be great if he was available at our pick.

Take Flanders off the list - the Dimma effect.
Can probably thank Stephen King for giving him a decent go.

The flipside is how is Choi feeling after Dimma traded him out of Richmond...

Smith had a solid year, but not as consistent as usual. Still has value, but we should be managing him by giving him games off.

Also had his role changed from half back to wing.
I thought he was really good on the wing when moved there later in the season. In a strong side, could be very effective for us next season playing that position. Hopefully plenty of goal kicking practice in the pre-season.

Having potentially missed out on a bigger fish, I’ve heard that a certain club in need of a ruckman is targeting Strachan for next season.
Is it us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back