2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I genuinely don't understand how Curtin was ever made to play so deep in defence for us.

He screams play maker.

If and when Nicks gets the boot, you'd think the first thing any coach will do is get him in the 1st team playing midfield or atleast high half back

And thus you've worked out why we went for it. A centre half back with genuine playmaking ability, ala someone like Jeremy McGovern, Harry Taylor, Alex Rance or even the Nigel Smart of yore. A guy like that could be the centerpiece of a genuine premiership tilt.

Well I do blame them. They have this prized asset at the club for 20+ hrs a week surely they can at least identify a role he’ll develop well in.

He hasn’t looked natural as a defender to me, not since the first official match sim when he played on Tex.
I think you should be more worried about Gollant not being played down back Billy. He looks to me better suited there but has only been there for 10 minutes against south to show his wares in this position

If Curtin is going to make it he needs to be able to defend and like many under 18 boys it is something that is not natural to them.

I thought they took too long to move him from deep defence lately as a third tall but this year will be a learning experience for him, as it is for Oscar and Charlie.

His performance in the seniors clearly indicated a need to improve his defensive skills

I will be interested to see if he has a knee clean out at the end of year as much of the year he apeared to be favouring a leg

I was elated when we got him as a draft pick and made an over the top statement he could end up being one of the all time best Crows. I have been disappointed with his year to date but I do think the injury he copped in pre season has had a major impact on his form and confidence. Let’s hope week is the start for him to turn things around

There seems to be a clear correlation between baldness and being shit at umpiring at SANFL level.

Although there is a silver haired maggot whose total lack of ability to umpire is Olympian in scope.
The two baldies are pretty bad, greyman Cory …..someone is a shocker, we had him at Pecker Park today….best umpiring I’ve ever seen Sturt get against WWT

I hate to break it to you, he's already played as a key defender in the AFL
Lol, no he didn’t. At all. He played half a game on a mixture of Callum Ah Chee and Logan Morris. He played another half game on a mixture of Georgiades (the 3rd tall) and someone else who I can’t recall that wasn’t Marshall or Dixon.

We hid him in a back pocket. That isn’t a key defensive role. It’s equally stupid though.

Today's game validates my comments from last week. Norwood play you with 5 changes to your side including Thilthorpe promoted to the AFL. Norwood beat you by 10 goals. It all depends on which week you play the Crows and how many and which AFL players they have.
The only Sturt game I left early was a thumping against Adelaide with both Crouch brothers, Podsiadly, Douglas and a shitload of other Adelaide players all nudging or over 200cm, Sturt didn’t have one player over 200cm.
It was a domination of stoppages, Adelaide ruck tap down to AFL midfielder - goal…repeat and rinse over and over again.

Bullshit hes spent an abundance of time at deep fullback, not just one game, way too much as far as I’m concerned. Sometimes he played full games there, not every game. Then he was moved to some kind of hybrid half back role which was also a failure. Midfield is where he’s looked most comfortable. He’s never been a third tall, that’s the Worrell role.
A failure? He received 30+ disposals which earnt him a call up to the Showdown debut.

I hate to break it to you, he's already played as a key defender in the AFL

A key defender when playing on the 5th or 6th forward? I guess Bond and Smith played key defence last night?
Just because you have an opponent in the defensive 50 doesn’t mean you are playing as a KPD. I don’t recall him spending a single minute on Daniher or Hipwood

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A key defender when playing on the 5th or 6th forward? I guess Bond and Smith played key defence last night?
Just because you have an opponent in the defensive 50 doesn’t mean you are playing as a KPD. I don’t recall him spending a single minute on Daniher or Hipwood

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He played on Hipwood for a bit and conceded a free kick which was a shot on goal

For reference this was with 11:55 to go in the second quarter if you want to take a look

Has Strachan checked out now it's become clear he's only a break glass in emergency option for the AFL team? That would have to have been his worst ever performance today and a big reason we got belted in the midfield. Boyd just obliterated him in almost every facet of the game.

View attachment 2047129

You normally make long term judgements off a single game? Was good last week, could easily have suited up ill/injured given lack of talls available for the 2s.

You normally make long term judgements off a single game? Was good last week, could easily have suited up ill/injured given lack of talls available for the 2s.
LOL

The oppo ruck last week was 19 year old Harvey Howe who is Centrals reserves ruck just out of the juniors, Billy McCormack their lead ruck has done his ACL and is out for the season...

Yesterday he was up against arguably the best opposition ruck in the SANFL and was well beaten whicvh is unusual at SANFL level..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Strachan checked out now it's become clear he's only a break glass in emergency option for the AFL team? That would have to have been his worst ever performance today and a big reason we got belted in the midfield. Boyd just obliterated him in almost every facet of the game.

View attachment 2047129
Wasn't he fantastic just last week?

There must be some serious disconnect between the recruiters and the coaching staff. I am more sure than ever that Curtin was recruited to be a midfielder, what dumbass decided to play him deep full back for 14 weeks. Particularly when that’s the one position we aren’t deficient in.

He didn't play deep defense for 14 weeks FFS. I don't even think he played two full games there.

He spent some time learning to be better in one on one contests, which he absolutely needs.

Bullshit hes spent an abundance of time at deep fullback, not just one game, way too much as far as I’m concerned. Sometimes he played full games there, not every game. Then he was moved to some kind of hybrid half back role which was also a failure. Midfield is where he’s looked most comfortable. He’s never been a third tall, that’s the Worrell role.

Complete garbage.

He's played the vast majority of games as a half back.

He played on Hipwood for a bit and conceded a free kick which was a shot on goal

For reference this was with 11:55 to go in the second quarter if you want to take a look
He wasn't playing on Hipwood in the leadup to that goal. Keane was, Curtin simply gave away the free kick.

It's possible he spent moments on key forwards in his two games due to the way defence works in the modern game but he was never marking them for extended periods. Curtin was picked as the least accountable defender with the intent he would play as a half-back, similar to the role he played in the SANFL game immediately before his call-up. He just got dragged deep by his opponent against Brisbane.

Because he is playing full forward, if it helped him, he would still be playing CHB
So forwards don't have to have any defensive skills??

And it doesn't help a forward to know the types of techniques that's a defender is going to use on them?

He wasn't playing in defense to become a defender. He was playing there to develop skills that made him a better footballer.

Last edited:
Wasn't he fantastic just last week?
I'll just copy and paste my post above, seems you can't read.

You'd be half a chance rucking against Harvey Howe a 19 year old reserves ruck.

LOL

The oppo ruck last week was 19 year old Harvey Howe who is Centrals reserves ruck just out of the juniors, Billy McCormack their lead ruck has done his ACL and is out for the season...

Yesterday he was up against arguably the best opposition ruck in the SANFL and was well beaten whicvh is unusual at SANFL level..

I'll just copy and paste my post above, seems you can't read.

You'd be half a chance rucking against Harvey Howe a 19 year old reserves ruck.

LOL

Yeah, of course I can read.

I had posted my extraordinarily obvious point in response to an earlier post.

He was excellent around the ground against both Glenelg and Centrals. Eleven marks against the Bays.

Considering they were the only games he'd played since coming back from the AFL and he was close to best on in both of them - well, maybe he just had one down week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, of course I can read, no need to be a petty bitch.

I had posted my extraordinarily obvious point in response to an earlier post.

He was excellent around the ground against both Glenelg and Centrals. Eleven marks against the Bays.

Considering they were the only games he'd played since coming back from the AFL and he was close to best on in both of them - well, maybe he just had one down week?
LOL

In comes Kristof with his usual defender of everything the Adelaide Crows

See above all posts defending the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back