2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First Port Adelaide bags the SANFL.

Now it is trying to bag some of its state league rivals’ best players.
Just days after Port chairman David Koch went rogue on radio, accusing the SANFL of getting “what they wanted’’ when his club finished with the wooden spoon for the first time since 1900 and declaring “we can’t wait to be out of there’’, the eight stand-alone clubs’ greatest fears are being realised.
They are having to fend off attractive approaches from SA’s two AFL clubs to their star players.
Glenelg ace Matthew Allen is understood to be the latest big-name SANFL player that Port has targeted for its state league side as the new concessions that both it and Adelaide appear poised to be granted to stay in the local league become clearer.
While there is some more wheeling and dealing to be done, they will be handed some generous concessions after threatening to jump ship to the VFL or a potential AFL reserves competition.
They include access to up to six under 21 and four over-age listed players from SANFL rivals, along with the potential to sign delisted AFL players, either from their own clubs or from interstate.
A decision is expected to be announced in the next month.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/my-two-cents-sanfl-clubs-move-to-lock-away-star-players-early-as-afl-club-concessions-hit-home-andrew-capel/news-story/ba3200f698b1199169f2cbf300e1e8e7?amp

First Port Adelaide bags the SANFL.

Now it is trying to bag some of its state league rivals’ best players.
Just days after Port chairman David Koch went rogue on radio, accusing the SANFL of getting “what they wanted’’ when his club finished with the wooden spoon for the first time since 1900 and declaring “we can’t wait to be out of there’’, the eight stand-alone clubs’ greatest fears are being realised.
They are having to fend off attractive approaches from SA’s two AFL clubs to their star players.
Glenelg ace Matthew Allen is understood to be the latest big-name SANFL player that Port has targeted for its state league side as the new concessions that both it and Adelaide appear poised to be granted to stay in the local league become clearer.
While there is some more wheeling and dealing to be done, they will be handed some generous concessions after threatening to jump ship to the VFL or a potential AFL reserves competition.
They include access to up to six under 21 and four over-age listed players from SANFL rivals, along with the potential to sign delisted AFL players, either from their own clubs or from interstate.
A decision is expected to be announced in the next month.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/my-two-cents-sanfl-clubs-move-to-lock-away-star-players-early-as-afl-club-concessions-hit-home-andrew-capel/news-story/ba3200f698b1199169f2cbf300e1e8e7?amp

They were told some time ago they weren’t leaving the SANFL. I think he has very limited knowledge of the situation but knew it would be popular and there would be little blowback.

If I was the SANFL I’d tell Port to GGF and deal with Adelaide in good faith re new restrictions, tell Port they had their chance to be civil about it but have done their damage, they no longer have a seat at the table.
If they don’t like it, leave, if they want to continue to be petulant they can pay an SANFL license fee.

If I was the SANFL I’d tell Port to GGF and deal with Adelaide in good faith re new restrictions, tell Port they had their chance to be civil about it but have done their damage, they no longer have a seat at the table.
If they don’t like it, leave, if they want to continue to be petulant they can pay an SANFL license fee.
Port have no where else to go

Port have no where else to go
It's actually astonishing the nerve of those idiots.

The SANFL held out from joining the VFL because they understood that to do so, was to give all power to the Victorian clubs. The SANFL wanted an actual National comp.
Port sold them out and their supporters now complain about the Victorian bias (it's your fault dickheads!)

Now they want to tell the SANFL to get stuffed and join the reserve level VFL. Instead of an actual national reserves comp. They are literally repeating the exact same mistake. Do they really think they will get a better deal from the Victorians? How stupid are these people?

I would say the main factor why Port are pushing this so hard is because they've spent so much money on Alberton that they need to get crowds there every other week, and they expect they can pull a crowd for Port Reserves v Richmond Reserves, more than they can for Port Reserves v Sturt.
I think it’s their tired old way to deflect from their own issues and blame the old Bogeyman SANFL. Gets the Orks angry at someone else and up and about spitting their same old paranoid tirades.

I would say the main factor why Port are pushing this so hard is because they've spent so much money on Alberton that they need to get crowds there every other week, and they expect they can pull a crowd for Port Reserves v Richmond Reserves, more than they can for Port Reserves v Sturt.

Given they intend to demolish the bowls club for a grandstand that wouldn't surprise me.

But they're kidding themselves if they think AFL Reserves crowds will be bigger than SANFL crowds (and their SANFL crowds are now sub-1000).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell happened in that match? I had a friend come over as soon as Sturt hit the front 2/3 of the way through the 3rd quarter and I've just come back to see that they've been easily beaten!

What the hell happened in that match? I had a friend come over as soon as Sturt hit the front 2/3 of the way through the 3rd quarter and I've just come back to see that they've been easily beaten!
Both centrals and now Glenelg barely missed any shots for goal and we did, but not good enough and far far below the level we set in the minor round. The saddest thing was we beat Norwood when we played them late in the season and only just missed top spot on % and we are out before Norwood even run onto Adelaide Oval for their first final

What makes it even worse from Sturts perspective is, they beat Centrals comfortably home and away during the season and also beat Glenelg comfortably home and away during the season - they only side to do so. Shocking finals performance last week to allow Centrals to steal the game late after4 kicking the eye out of a needle when shooting for goal and we paid the price bigtime today as its season over

Last edited:
When you rely on defence all year and have no forward line, you get found out. Scraping wins while only kicking 8-9 goals on suburban mud puts was never going to cut it at AO in crunch time.

Two points:

Harry Boyd would at a minimum perform at the same level as O'Brien if not better.

Rawlings has more idea how to coach than Nix
If we had the top 4 sanfl coaches as the AFC coaching group, we would be far better off imo.

Sturt has had a reasonable forward line patched up throughout the year, our forward entries have been my major concern all year. In finals our midfield has been shut down, I don’t think I saw one clear entry into F50 all day from a centre bounce.
We made a GF under Mattner last year, but for some shocking kicking for goal we would’ve put more pressure on Glenelg. While I think we could be more attacking in mindset Mattner isn’t to be the sole blame for this years capitulation.
It’s a typically simplistic view regurgitated on this forum over many arguments.
Hopefully the weather improves so I can hit the beach.
Footy’s done.

Sturt has had a reasonable forward line patched up throughout the year, our forward entries have been my major concern all year. In finals our midfield has been shut down, I don’t think I saw one clear entry into F50 all day from a centre bounce.
We made a GF under Mattner last year, but for some shocking kicking for goal we would’ve put more pressure on Glenelg. While I think we could be more attacking in mindset Mattner isn’t to be the sole blame for this years capitulation.
It’s a typically simplistic view regurgitated on this forum over many arguments.
Hopefully the weather improves so I can hit the beach.
Footy’s done.
The post mortem will be why there was such a big disconnect between the home and away form where we comfortably beat both the bays and the dogs home and away, yet in finals, we were a shadow of that dominating game we had. What were the opposition able to do to us to nullify the midfield that we can correct to overcome that next year as we should be well and truly around the mark again barring a mass player exodus

The post mortem will be why there was such a big disconnect between the home and away form where we comfortably beat both the bays and the dogs home and away, yet in finals, we were a shadow of that dominating game we had. What were the opposition able to do to us to nullify the midfield that we can correct to overcome that next year as we should be well and truly around the mark again barring a mass player exodus
Slimming and Page both retired today

We copped some of the top teams weakened with key players out and we often fell in against the lower ranked teams. Our overall record was a fraction misleading perhaps.

Major problem we have is too many nuggety types across the middle. Good players but same, same. Need some height and speed across the ground and two more forwards - one a marking tall, one a goalsneak.

Hopefully Port delist McEntee.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back