Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the next few days we're going back to the start of the season to fill in a few performances that were missed. Here we see Harvey Langford, still sporting the long hair, playing more forward than mid and taking a number of impressive contested marks. If his lack of pace does impact his ability to play through the middle at AFL level he can always fall back on his ability to impact the game as a medium forward.

Yeah you don’t want to be falling back to a medium forward with pick 4…esp when our other pick is a…medium forward.

Must be elite mid without question

Honest question, is anyone touting Smith as pick one? They were at the start of the year but recently I haven’t seen him being talked about as a pick one chance but perhaps may have missed it
Not anymore. Seems to be sliding as the high impact per possession players are in vogue. If you guys have a chance to select him at 4 it’s a steal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've listened to the advice of others and will be satisfied with what we get given out of Lalor, Draper, Smith or O'Sullivan. It's like losing the toss on a wicket you're not sure whether you should bat or bowl.

The real challenge will be compiling a list of players in this draft who would be worth our Future 1st?

Probably prefer the SA lad but agree hes a good consolation prize

Your knowledgeable “C4..Yo door“ dude thought Blues were taking Smith
I’d say Smith would be the least likely from the top 4 mids.

We moved up for speed and point of difference. We have accumulators.

Lalor, Draper and FOS definitely the targets. I wouldn’t be mad with Smith though. Future captain.

How much money do you think Burgess is on? Do you think our list is at maximum cap this year?

It would be irresponsible with the makeup of our list as it currently stands to not be spending 100% of the cap.

In all likelihood with a number of younger players on either their first or second contracts, we should be front loading contracts of the more established guys so as to free up cap space down the road.

I'd be absolutely staggered if Smith and Draper are there at pick 2 (if North trade to Richmond) and Richmond don't take Smith. They have been a long time into him and it still would not shock me if they took him at pick 1
Have they been more into smith than Draper though?

Isn’t the smith reporting partly as he was at the club, played vfl for them and went well? Something they didn’t have the option with with Draper…

That doesn’t not mean we weren’t trying to get Peatling before that. You’re making stuff up and why are you having a conversation with yourself?
It’s not unfathomable we were chasing Peatling and luko knowing neither was guaranteed or even most likely to choose us but knowing if preference 1 (or even 1st to commit) chose us we’d either have to pull out or commit to a contract that made it unlikely

I’d be disappointed with the club if we were putting all eggs into 1 speculative basket.

Also what some are ignoring is even if we had money to get both doesn’t mean we have money now. We could say to 1 yeah the $$ still stand but we need to spread this out over the latter years (maybe add a bit more money) because out cap can’t fit it now but we’ll manage our TPP in coming years to accommodate (easily done)

Honest question, is anyone touting Smith as pick one? They were at the start of the year but recently I haven’t seen him being talked about as a pick one chance but perhaps may have missed it
He was still considered the best chance for pick 1 after his very strong VFL form.

Recently, rumours started that Lalor was firming and he's fallen back since then.

It’s not unfathomable we were chasing Peatling and luko knowing neither was guaranteed or even most likely to choose us but knowing if preference 1 (or even 1st to commit) chose us we’d either have to pull out or commit to a contract that made it unlikely

I’d be disappointed with the club if we were putting all eggs into 1 speculative basket.

Also what some are ignoring is even if we had money to get both doesn’t mean we have money now. We could say to 1 yeah the $$ still stand but we need to spread this out over the latter years (maybe add a bit more money) because out cap can’t fit it now but we’ll manage our TPP in coming years to accommodate (easily done)

It seems like there are genuine reports that we were quite a way back with Peatling, and we firmed very late once Cumming made a decision.

There were zero whispers about us and nothing being leaked by his management to the media, until the very end.

I think losing Luko allowed us the room to get Peatling and bump up what we were offering Cumming, which is a pretty good outcome.

I'm not sure why this is a discussion though?

That doesn’t not mean we weren’t trying to get Peatling before that. You’re making stuff up and why are you having a conversation with yourself?
Hey George - there's no point responding to my posts. I have you blocked, so I only see what you've written when you're quoted by someone and I'm in the app.

I'm just not interested in your mall cop routine of thinking you're here to police people's posting, so feel free to keep me out of your discussions.

I know who Jenny's source is for Peatling and I know what she heard, so I'm comfortable with my perspective. I expanded on my post because I wanted to add more information.

Last edited:
Hey George - there's no point responding to my posts. I have you blocked, so I only see what you've written when you're quoted by someone and I'm in the app.

I'm just not interested in your mall cop routine of thinking you're here to police people's posting, so you keep me out of your discussions.

I know who Jenny's source is for Peatling and I know what she heard, so I'm comfortable with my perspective. I expanded on my post because I wanted to add more information.
So ou don’t think this fuels his fire🤦‍♂️

I'm just not interested in your mall cop routine of thinking you're here to police people's posting, so you keep me out of your discussions.

Mall cop routine, lol.

So what you’re saying is you want to continue to post your club propaganda on a football forum unchallenged.

Nah, you post crap and I’ll respond, you might not read it, others will.

And don’t consider yourself special, you just wrote more club grovelling nonsense than most and backflipping on your opinions to fall in line makes you stand out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back