2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need a new thread created for this constantly repeated conversation.

Digging up and reheating the past.

And while where at it a standalone thread about the Josh Battle situation (pros and cons)

God knows both topics have been discussed to death and regularly torpedo the draft and trade thread 😂

(And yes I have no doubt contributed)

I think we need a new thread created for this constantly repeated conversation.

Digging up and reheating the past.

And while where at it a standalone thread about the Josh Battle situation (pros and cons)

God knows both topics have been discussed to death and regularly torpedo the draft and trade thread

(And yes I have no doubt contributed)
Whose this Battle bloke, he play for us?
Can he actully football?
Where is he likely to go in the draft? Can we trade for him?
Is he another one of those half back flankers we will turn into an on ball pig?
If so does he play like Savage or more like Jones?
No doubt Trout is talking with him.
What's his attitude to dwarf throwing?
Will he adapt to living Bayside?
Heard he played for Hailebury let's go talk with Stewie Loewe and maybe SOS didn't he have something to do down there before we do any hard systematic recruiting.
Are we risking another Paddy McArtin problem?

And finally the best of the lot, is he a ruckman, and if so is he better than Hickey or Longer and who should we pick first?

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't mind doing that but losing Battle to get into the top end of a draft that players in the 20s don't look noticeably worse than guys at the front end seems a less solid decision. Not all drafts are equal.

I can't believe you guys are still trying to justify it. It's exactly the model to make yourself stay in a long slow rebuild. Make yourself good enough to sit around mid table and not be bad enough to get into the good picks but not good enough to bridge the gap.
I think you will find most of us do not want Battle to leave.
I would rather keep a player we have put years of development into only to see his prime years somewhere else after we have done all the hard work.

But its the world we live in if he leaves I would rather have a pick after our first than one in the 20's

I would rather keep a player we have put years of development into only to see his prime years somewhere else after we have done all the hard work.

But its the world we live in if he leaves I would rather have a pick after our first than one in the 20's
I may like one player more than another but in the end I support the club not the player.

Amazing how many times you hear how so and so saying how much they love the club, but the offer comes and they leave for bigger money and next season - there he is fist pumping the new crest on his jumper, as if its the only thing that matters.

Like you I'm more than happy to lose Battle if it nets us Pick 5 as compo. Not happy at all if we lose him for Pick 20 odd.

I read somewhere that jagga finished year 12 last year. I wonder what he is doing this year? I worry about kids who are developed early, with no room for improvement. If he is doing nothing but training, and hitting the gym, gaining advantage over his peers, he might get caught up to quick.
He's at Deakin with my son doing Sports Management :)

Regarding Gringo's comments about the players being even to the 20's, my informants tell me that there is a very clear top 8 who all could have a case to be number one, then there's a next tier down of around 20 players. This will be one of the better drafts when we look back at it. If we pick up someone like Tom Gross with our second round pick he would be a steal.

Regarding Gringo's comments about the players being even to the 20's, my informants tell me that there is a very clear top 8 who all could have a case to be number one, then there's a next tier down of around 20 players. This will be one of the better drafts when we look back at it. If we pick up someone like Tom Gross with our second round pick he would be a steal.
I'd say 9 - O'Sullivan, Smillie, Jagga, Trainor, Draper, Reid, Ashcroft, Lalor, Langford

Then Lombard, Hotton, Allan, and Travaglia lead the next tier

I read Jagga is committed to playing a few weeks for the Richmond VFL team. Obviously they are wanting to have a look at him against the bigger bodies in lieu of selecting him at No 1. He played well in Aus team so it will be interesting to see how he goes! If he had a bigger frame etc he would be the clear No 1 pick IMO.

Successful clubs keep their best players, while perennial low-achieving clubs, try quick fixes and radical trade moves, coach changes, in an attempt to get instant results. We need Battle, and ideally he should be playing in finals at this stage of his career, so we need to throw everything at him to keep him a Saint.

Have we figured out who is driving Battle down to Dingley?
Depends how quickly Josh can book his Uber driver.

All he'll have to do is type in the word "tip" into google maps and he'll be there before you can say "investment account"

:) :) :)

Agree on Gross. I don’t disagree but still reckon the top 8 aren’t as obvious as most year.

I reckon this will be like 2017 with some guns and some busts and lots of quality all the way though.

Just have to make sure we don’t get Coffield Clark and Clavarino this time.

Somehow we picked around all the quality in that one.

I read Jagga is committed to playing a few weeks for the Richmond VFL team. Obviously they are wanting to have a look at him against the bigger bodies in lieu of selecting him at No 1. He played well in Aus team so it will be interesting to see how he goes! If he had a bigger frame etc he would be the clear No 1 pick IMO.

If he goes well he probably goes pick one. The only knock on him is how his sliding through traffic will go against bigger guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Noah Mraz?
Was rated really high at the start of the year. First couple of game were elite then he hurt himself and hasn’t played since. I keep seeing him slide on all the ratings.

Was rated really high at the start of the year. First couple of game were elite then he hurt himself and hasn’t played since. I keep seeing him slide on all the ratings.

As you said, he was really highly rated and has dropped away. He looked a bit average this year but he's probably a bit of could be anything type. He was a really promising basketballer who moved to play ruck, then forward and then back. Playing KPB in the underage squads is pretty hard because they apparently don't let them just stand on a player so certain types don't get to show their wares.

He was talked up as a top 10 pick at the start of the year. Some have him outside 30 now. Absolute bargain if he goes there. Looks like Peter Wright in size. He's massive.

As you said, he was really highly rated and has dropped away. He looked a bit average this year but he's probably a bit of could be anything type. He was a really promising basketballer who moved to play ruck, then forward and then back. Playing KPB in the underage squads is pretty hard because they apparently don't let them just stand on a player so certain types don't get to show their wares.

He was talked up as a top 10 pick at the start of the year. Some have him outside 30 now. Absolute bargain if he goes there. Looks like Peter Wright in size. He's massive.
He has only slid because he hasn’t played. His first two games were unreal. Will be a steal if he goes second round

I think it will really come down to where the club see Caminiti and Keeler playing in the future. Plus whether they see Van Es and Cole as a viable options to fill the key defender position? Before his (Mraz) injury he was rated very highly and missing the championships has seen him slide. He definitely is a strong marking 200cm key defender and foot injuries are problematic so it may cause some clubs to shy away.

For me with our 2nd round pick I would be hoping for a tall forward who can ruck like Thomas Simms/Kayle Gerryn or a smart medium/small forward Archer Day-Wicks.

Last edited:
He has only slid because he hasn’t played. His first two games were unreal. Will be a steal if he goes second round

I don't remember already. I didn't look out for him particularly because he didn't seem to be someone we were likely to target. He seemed to be in that spread of players that would got between 10 and 25 in the draft. Since a few have pushed up someone has to go out. It would be nice if it pushed him to our second round pick.

Successful clubs keep their best players, while perennial low-achieving clubs, try quick fixes and radical trade moves, coach changes, in an attempt to get instant results. We need Battle, and ideally he should be playing in finals at this stage of his career, so we need to throw everything at him to keep him a Saint.
Yeah cos Collingwood totally didn’t let Grundy and Treloar go for chips before they won the premiership. Same for Richmond for Deledio. Melbourne and Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back