Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Question to the posters of this lovely thread…

If we entered preseason with Serong, Reeves, Morrison and Ward in other colors…and no first Round pick for 2025…

But we had Barass, Battle, Smith and Cody Anderson on the list, would you be ok with it?
We’ve already got Ward …… prefer to keep him than bring in Smith. The kid has so much drive will do anything to get the best out of himself for the team a total pro. He will make it. Watching him train Apple Watch needs to sponsor this young man

If we entered preseason with Serong, Reeves, Morrison and Ward in other colors…and no first Round pick for 2025…

But we had Barass, Battle, Smith and Cody Anderson on the list, would you be ok with it?

Probably can't really make a proper call on this, because I know nothing about Anderson and am 99% sure Baz is heading down the highway.

Wouldn't bemoan Reeves, Serong and Morrison looking for opportunities elsewhere, although from a depth perspective I'd like to keep the former and the latter in particular.

Ward is the one I'd be persisting with. Sure, in this scenario I'd take Smith over him, however if you remove Baz it removes Ward as an option IMO.

He is part of our NGA

How is it that the AFL (or the clubs themselves) can never put out a definitive list?

Anderson looks like an exciting player. If we can get him for a few late picks then that softens the blow of moving on our first rounder. There are plenty of good talents coming through this season, and Anderson is one of them.

I think Serong and Ward will be good to great AFL players in time but if we add Battle and Smith then their opportunities are going to be even less frequent next year. Which would mean that even if they stuck around they'll probably only end up requesting trades the following year anyway.

If Morrison is off to North and they don't have any reason to trade with us then it will be disappointing to lose such an experienced and high-quality clubman for nothing at all. I think the BHH feels the loss more if he goes. I'm holding out hope he will stay just in the chance he might be called up on a GF day, but won't lose sleep if he takes a better offer.

Losing Reeves without replacing him with another mature bodied ruck would have me worried. Maybe Ramsden is ready to be that back up option and even push to be that true ruck/fwd hybrid, but that still doesn't address our needs in the event Meek goes out injured. TBH Reeves isn't really a like for like replacement for Meek anyway, so would work out well if he can help us get deals done without giving up extra draft capital and then we can probably find a mature, big-bodied back-up ruck in a state league or recycled from another club.

Don't know enough about Anderson but from what little I've read sounds like someone we could get excited about in the absence of a natural first round selection next year (hopefully pick 18).

In short, we'd be giving up 4 players currently outside the best 22 + F1 to bring in 3 players who will be best 22 and a promising young midfielder. I'm very ok with that.

How is it that the AFL (or the clubs themselves) can never put out a definitive list?

Anderson looks like an exciting player. If we can get him for a few late picks then that softens the blow of moving on our first rounder. There are plenty of good talents coming through this season, and Anderson is one of them.
Just gotta hope he goes outside 40

I wouldn't be happy with that but I dont think we even need to think about it.

The only part of that I wouldn't be happy with is giving up on Josh Ward so early, give him another year to earn his spot.

But as TD said it's a moot point because Bailey Smith will not be coming.

So our incomings shouldn't affect our future 1st.

Barrass - Current 1st + Future 2nd
Battle/Perryman Free Agents

I'd be saving our 2025 first on the off chance we can persuade either Mac Andrew or Finn Callaghan to come across next year.

I do like that, but I thought Smith is heading to Geelong, or did Smith changed his mind, and it's 50/50 now

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Serong and Ward will be good to great AFL players in time but if we add Battle and Smith then their opportunities are going to be even less frequent next year. Which would mean that even if they stuck around they'll probably only end up requesting trades the following year anyway.

If Morrison is off to North and they don't have any reason to trade with us then it will be disappointing to lose such an experienced and high-quality clubman for nothing at all. I think the BHH feels the loss more if he goes. I'm holding out hope he will stay just in the chance he might be called up on a GF day, but won't lose sleep if he takes a better offer.

Losing Reeves without replacing him with another mature bodied ruck would have me worried. Maybe Ramsden is ready to be that back up option and even push to be that true ruck/fwd hybrid, but that still doesn't address our needs in the event Meek goes out injured. TBH Reeves isn't really a like for like replacement for Meek anyway, so would work out well if he can help us get deals done without giving up extra draft capital and then we can probably find a mature, big-bodied back-up ruck in a state league or recycled from another club.

Don't know enough about Anderson but from what little I've read sounds like someone we could get excited about in the absence of a natural first round selection next year (hopefully pick 18).

In short, we'd be giving up 4 players currently outside the best 22 + F1 to bring in 3 players who will be best 22 and a promising young midfielder. I'm very ok with that.
your last sentence one of the best summations I've read on big footy, simple encapsulation of all the moving bits. Fine job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

demons have gone to 13th with an aging core.. they aren't bouncing back with thier current list

its fast tracking thier rebuild if neil bulleen, pretrachea, oliver and viney left for good picks
none of these guys fit our list profile - we should be maximising the damage cos the younger talent would be second guessing their direction

Yes very much so.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

demons have gone to 13th with an aging core.. they aren't bouncing back with thier current list

its fast tracking thier rebuild if neil bulleen, pretrachea, oliver and viney left for good picks
none of these guys fit our list profile - we should be maximising the damage cos the younger talent would be second guessing their direction

Petracca fits every teams list profile.

Just watched "Gettable" and they have Hawthorn linked to the following players - Tom Barrass, Harry Perryman, Josh Battle , and even an interest in Mac Andrew. They also mentioned that Bailey Smith is likely to head to the Cats.

Just watched "Gettable" and they have Hawthorn linked to the following players - Tom Barrass, Harry Perryman, Josh Battle , and even an interest in Mac Andrew. They also mentioned that Bailey Smith is likely to head to the Cats.
Cal was certain Smith is going to Geelong.

Yeah this really hasn’t been mentioned anywhere hope it’s true, but you would think this info would be out there by now
According to this, he's in our NGA:

HAWTHORN-LINKED BEAST IS ALMOST BACK

The midfielder who has become known as ‘The Beast from the East’ is closing in on a surprise return to the field.
Eastern Ranges onballer Cody Anderson has made good progress in his recovery from a Syndesmosis injury and is eyeing a final-round return against the Northern Knights on August 24.

A member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy, Anderson has been sidelined with the injury since briefly featuring in Vic Metro’s third match of the under-18 national championships against South Australia on June 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back