Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anderson might be a decent player, but even if he’s not NGA he’ll probably be available late in the draft for us to pick. He’s not tipped to go top 40.

Selling him as being a major bonus is a bit much.

If the club is happy to trade Ward and Reeves out I imagine they know better than me. Serong should go, he’s too good for VFL and we’re bringing in two more in front of him.

First mention of Smith in a while, he seems to be already down the coast.
Anderson started the season really well, attacks the ball hard, is built ready for the level already. He is averaging 23.6 disposals, 6.7 tackles across 9 Coates League games this year. He also has 7 goals.

While potentially not a "major bonus" if not for his injury top 40 was more than a possibility

petracca would want to go to a competitive melbourne club.
north ❌
richmond ❌
st kilda ❌
collingwood ❌ (receding, won't be competitive soon)
geelong ✅
dogs ✅
hawks ✅
carlton ✅
essendon ✅

Carlton wouldn't have enough cap space with mckay, sdk, curnow, cripps
Geelong too far from the city

Leaves us, dogs, Essendon
(assuming the trade is end of next year)

this is probably a braindead take, haven't done a lot of research but just my thoughts

They're holding him out. They can't afford for him to cop an injury and I won't be surprised if he doesn't get a farewell game in the last round.

Helps that Curnow and McKay are both out.....not sure who the Blues will play forward but doubt TB is needed

Question to the posters of this lovely thread…

If we entered preseason with Serong, Reeves, Morrison and Ward in other colors…and no first Round pick for 2025…

But we had Barass, Battle, Smith and Cody Anderson on the list, would you be ok with it?
not me.
I think Serong will be a very good regular AFL defender. I also believe Ward will make it as much better than average. I'd love Morrison to stay but happy for him if he gets a very good offer elsewhere.
Not too worried about Reeves, but we will need a solid ruck back up plan should Meek go down with a long termer.
Barrass and Battle can come in without losing this depth and Cody will be a late or rookie pickup. A bit hmmm on Smith TBH.

north ❌
richmond ❌
st kilda ❌
geelong ✅
dogs ✅
hawks ✅
carlton ✅
essendon ✅

this is probably a braindead take, haven't done a lot of research but just my thoughts
Dees wont trade him, but he's a match made in heaven for Collingwood if they had the picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

north ❌
richmond ❌
st kilda ❌
geelong ✅
dogs ✅
hawks ✅
carlton ✅
essendon ✅

I think you're on the money. Though I couldn't see the Dogs have the cap space for another older midfielder on $1M+

north ❌
richmond ❌
st kilda ❌
geelong ✅
dogs ✅
hawks ✅
carlton ✅
essendon ✅

Umm Essendon is only competitive during trade week through to pre season where they vow enough is enough. Come the end of June they are back to planning for trade week, reminiscing of the Pep talks with Hird.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why we would have any interest in Perryman! He doesn’t give us anything we don’t already have. If he comes to us where does he play and who’s spot does he take?
My understanding is that Perryman sees himself more as a midfielder, and struggling to get into an already stacked gws mid group.

Ideally it allows for flexibility within the team and structure. Not against the idea. In Sam we trust

If we entered preseason with Serong, Reeves, Morrison and Ward in other colors…and no first Round pick for 2025…

But we had Barass, Battle, Smith and Cody Anderson on the list, would you be ok with it?

All of this except I'll keep Ward over Smith.

CJ signing on for another 3 years probably means that Morrison is on the way out?

He's a UFA yes? So we'll probably get thrown a Band 3 or Band 4 pick in return, which will get eaten up if Battle comes across.

I think its the reverse. Hawthorn cooled on Smith when it became clear that Nash and Worpel were having career years. Worpel's year has been better than any season Smith has ever had.

They realised some time ago that Smith didnt fill a pressing need. Spending 2 years of picks on a player who we dont need as much is bad business, what if Andrew became available and we didn't have the capital because of spending it on Smith?

I think they do have the capital to get Barrass and Smith, Im just not sure they want to do it any more.

Smith wanted the Hawks. If he has indeed shifted to preferring Geelong, its because we are not chasing him hard any more.
Don’t think so. We are still on the hunt for another established mid. Might be more of a focus the following off season.

I am ok with it.
But I'm a bit different in that I really don't care what the make of our side is, as long as we win.

Who goes out of the best 22 for Battle, Barrass, Perryman and Smith?

To suggest we we'll even get 3 of them is lunacy.

Gunston or Bruest, Cooper Stephens, DGB, Wingard are potential outs

Ward, Morrison, Macguiness and hustwaite might leave due to limited opportunities especially if Perryman and Smith come in.

I'm not sure on Barrass, Ethan Phillips might have a huge preseason and Blank coming back. There's a KPD gap that gets filled soon..

For those playing at home

if this happened the half forward line of

Jiath Chol Andrew

would be the laziest most laconic and laksadasical half forward line in the history of the game - there would be posters on this site whose head would explode. Also Peter Dutton might try to relocate us to Khartoom (still be pretty exciting to watch - Luke Darcy would definitely break the record for the number of times "athletic" was said in an AFL broadcast

In all seriousness if this happened - it would be awesome - given he beat Essendon with a kick after the siren - Hawthorn already runs through his veins

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back