Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like our name has been used by either West Coast or Tom’s manager as leverage. I’m sure we’ve done our due diligence and asked what it would take to get a trade done but as for serious interest at WC’s asking price (nothing short of a 1st rd pick), I don’t think so.

As much as our development has taken a sharp upward turn, I don’t see us making this kind of move for a 29 year old just yet.

He's not getting a 5 year deal that's just silly. He won't be there for future success which the club has reiterated to his management. McGovern is more a leader of men for them so losing Barass out of their backline isn't fatal for their rebuild far from it. Think he believes the opposite hence asking for a lengthy contract. This is going to end up exactly like JOM/Mitchell situation because teams have seen the high risk/reward that can come from making gutsy list management decisions firsthand.
Didnt Cleary say Dogs have a 5 year offer in front of him?

Would think if they moved off someone like Barrass it would be in an attempt to get assets to move into the position to get Bo Allen in the draft so they can pick at their pick and get Allen in as well and can then match the bid on Champion and suddenly they are walking away with 3 potentially first round guys plus getting English (if that happens) it would be the main reason I could see them being open to the move mostly because at the end of the day they dont actually have to trade him because of the contract. Think your asking price is pretty spot on for what WC would want its worth...not that many in here will agree with you
The Bo Allan talk is media driven (Ralph mainly thinking he can negotiate a good deal for Liam Baker), he is rated no higher at WCE just because he’s from WA. If two players were rated very similarly, we’d take the WA talent but that’s it. Apart from KPF we need talent all over the park so at that spot in the draft we’d take the best available.

I have my own opinion on what I’d want to let Barrass go but I think that’s what the club would be looking at as a minimum, we’re not dealing with a bloke who’s OOC and wants to leave to a specific team.

Barrass. Gun, but I'll spew up if we offer a first rounder. Getting something back makes it slightly more palatable.

FWIW Sic just started following him on Instagram.
I don't know if this means anything - like, make of it what you will - but I've just started following both Sic and Barrass on Insta.

The Bo Allan talk is media driven (Ralph mainly thinking he can negotiate a good deal for Liam Baker), he is rated no higher at WCE just because he’s from WA. If two players were rated very similarly, we’d take the WA talent but that’s it. Apart from KPF we need talent all over the park so at that spot in the draft we’d take the best available.

I have my own opinion on what I’d want to let Barrass go but I think that’s what the club would be looking at as a minimum, we’re not dealing with a bloke who’s OOC and wants to leave to a specific team.
Haven't they said that every year then use the WA factor as their tipping point on the decision...feel like we heard the media are driving that narrative on Ginbey, Hewett, Hall and Curtin (who its been reported they were trying to trade in for)

Not saying they are making moves for Bo in isolation but if they happen to get the picks and he is on the board would think they look at him strongly kids a stud

I don't know if this means anything - like, make of it what you will - but I've just started following both Sic and Barrass on Insta.
I swear some players do it just to troll supporters when they hear these trade rumours.

Sicily is probably reading this thread with cheeky grin on his face.

I don't consider Taranto and Hopper or Tom Mitchell and Jaegar to be "Topping up".

Topping up is bringing guys in to fill roles while you are in clear contention. This strategy is more long term and looking at cutting out the first 4-6 years and uncertainty about players. Rather than pick 14 which would take a few years to turn into a good player if at all, we got a 23 yr old Tom Mitchell who had already proven himself AFL capable and was on the rise, he won our BnF in his first 2 years and a brownlow.

The strategy didn't work for us for many reasons (rioli retired, wingard, stratton fell off cliff, vickery, patton, scully, orourke, langford not being what we'd hoped, shiels not kicking on into a prime mid after being a solid 4th mid for so long, Mitchell broken leg, failing to land coniglio) But I don't think it was a terrible plan, we just had some bad luck and a few of the peices didn't land. It got us to top 4 in 2018 though and who knows if mitchell didn't break his leg, Wingard performed better, 2019 could have been a flag year.
Maybe it's not called topping up but it's most certainly mortgaging your long term future for the short term. Obviously teams that are in the premiership window a more likely to take this risk ie like us with Lake or Burgoyne but like someone mentioned the other day it's important not to overrate your list.

We've had 12-13 solid weeks of footy but what's to say we don't end up having a down season next year like what the Crows have had this season. The Crows looked like they were ready to ascend after finishing 11-12 with a healthy percentage of 116.8.

Anyways I think I'm in the majority here when I say I'd be rapt for us to land Barrass but ONLY for the right price (this price is debatable) which WC probably won't let him go for. Let's see how it plays out.

Honestly, this thread is a bit of a free run to talk about whatever you want to regarding trades, but I’m sorry… when we start going back into thoughts and theories on why we shouldn’t have traded for player X and Y seven years ago for the 581st time I’m just gonna delete it.

Sorry, not sorry..

Don’t you guys get sick of rehashing the same shit over and over and over and over?

Didn’t you effectively trade Harry Sheezel for Ginbey and Hewett because they were from WA?

You did pass on Sheezel for two less talented local lads.

Haven't they said that every year then use the WA factor as their tipping point on the decision...feel like we heard the media are driving that narrative on Ginbey, Hewett, Hall and Curtin (who its been reported they were trying to trade in for)

Not saying they are making moves for Bo in isolation but if they happen to get the picks and he is on the board would think they look at him strongly kids a stud
I think most clubs would have Allan around that pick 10-20 mark so I’m sure any club (us included) would consider him with a pick in that range. There’s a media hard on for clubs taking local products who are inferior talent wise.

I’d say with a particularly deep draft we’d be looking to increase our presence at any range of picks then consider which players we like in that range rather than the other way around.

You did pass on Sheezel for two less talented local lads.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Sheezel had huge flight risk mainly due to the strong Jewish community and links in Melbourne. Hard to comment when Hewett has barely played but it’s looking like both he and Ginbey are going to need to play 200+ games each to consider that anywhere near a good result in hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t you effectively trade Harry Sheezel for Ginbey and Hewett because they were from WA?
Sorry mate just answered that one above (more Sheezel going home than getting WA boys we just rated them there, Ginbey was 3rd on our board apparently) but don’t want to turn your board into the WCE board so will just leave it there and work on a Barrass trade.

LET'S RAID THE GIANTS!

Wayde Derksen - killing it in the VFL. Can play either end of the ground and is getting better year by year and gives us necessary insurance. With Lewis to miss most of net year and Gunston likely retiring, a nice option ( I would prefer Gruzewski but would cost us to much)

Josh Fahey - lethal left footed half back ball magnet. Succession planning for Karl Amon who is approaching 30. Also from country NSW where we have had a lot of success- Breust, Suckling Dureya as examples.

Toby McMullin - highly skilled, smart half forward who would fit beautifully into out attacking system. Again, with Toby Greene and all their smalls, just needing opportunity

I don't think any of these guys either player would cost a lot in terms of draft capital as looking at the GWS list, I think spots are going to be tight so they may be happy to let a few players go. D

Disclaimer, I don't think their contract statuses!

Last edited:
Maybe it's not called topping up but it's most certainly mortgaging your long term future for the short term. Obviously teams that are in the premiership window a more likely to take this risk ie like us with Lake or Burgoyne but like someone mentioned the other day it's important not to overrate your list.

We've had 12-13 solid weeks of footy but what's to say we don't end up having a down season next year like what the Crows have had this season. The Crows looked like they were ready to ascend after finishing 11-12 with a healthy percentage of 116.8.

Anyways I think I'm in the majority here when I say I'd be rapt for us to land Barrass but ONLY for the right price (this price is debatable) which WC probably won't let him go for. Let's see how it plays out.

Yep agree

I think Freo 22-23 is a better comp for our list than Adelaide. Adelaide's young mids are shit – it's only really this year they're turning it around a bit with Rankine and Soligo.

Freo on the other hand had a very young but talented mid group, an older backline and a somewhat impromptu forward line that propelled them to a finals victory in 22, went backwards in 23 and are now continuing on the "natural" trajectory they began two seasons ago.

Adelaide's fwd line was very good last year and I thought that could push them into the 6-10 bracket this year but it looks like they were carried a bit too hard by Tex and need a structural re-jig.

Our biggest related issue is our midfield's performance without Day. And you'd imagine the development of Frenchie, Ward will go a long way to alleviating that and avoiding an Adelaide type drop-off imo.

The only way Barrass gets done without a 1st round pick is if we give up someone like Ward or CJ.

Even then I'd reckon they'd want a 2nd rounder on top.

DGB won't get anything done, except make WCE laugh.

Barrass for Ward / CJ plus 2nd rounder is my guess for WCE price.

It's what we would ask if we were in their position.
Lol of the week. Thanks

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Sheezel had huge flight risk mainly due to the strong Jewish community and links in Melbourne. Hard to comment when Hewett has barely played but it’s looking like both he and Ginbey are going to need to play 200+ games each to consider that anywhere near a good result in hindsight.
Pavlich never wanted to leave SA and always wanted to go home.
Draft the player and back your culture.

The only way Barrass gets done without a 1st round pick is if we give up someone like Ward or CJ.

Even then I'd reckon they'd want a 2nd rounder on top.

DGB won't get anything done, except make WCE laugh.

Barrass for Ward / CJ plus 2nd rounder is my guess for WCE price.

It's what we would ask if we were in their position.
You hate CJ so much - its so obvious

Pavlich never wanted to leave SA and always wanted to go home.
Draft the player and back your culture.
I agree. Can’t say I would have made the same decision and worst case scenario you trade the after 2 years for a better return if you develop them properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back