Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For years we have been obsessed with getting someone who "can play on the gorillas". That was why we aimed at Ben McKay and even Ratugolea (which I could not believe). Ever since we got Brian Lake we have always thought we were short in this area. As it turns out, Ben McKay's disposal is terrible and is not worth the coin he gets at Essendon.

And these days, there just aren't any gorilla forwards left. Hawkins is done and all of the other big key forwards are more athletic running types like Cameron, Kings. No-one really threatens to kick 7-8 goals anymore and the system won't allow it. As it stands, our guys are good enough to compete against the remaining gorillas and then just run off. Last Sunday was a great example - Tex Walker, Thilthorpe and Himmelberg - all really big and when they did not mark it, we just waltzed out of the backline repeatedly and put 19 goals on them.

Curnow and McKay might be the only real marking types left, but I don't believe the gorilla defender is as important as it was in history. Worried we might disturb the current balance, while the defence is hardly conceding anything as it is.

In short, concerned that we don't need Barass, especially given the likely cost.
When teams are bombing it long in the last 10 minutes of a close final, you want someone like Lake (Barrass) down there. Allows us to throw Sic forward.

Couldn’t play all of Battle, Frost, Scrim, Barrass and Sic in defence would absolutely destroy our rebound and ground level game. The moment the ball hits the ground we’d be toast.

Even having 4 on the field at once would be pushing it.
Battle or Sicily could easily go forward. Injuries happen. Players lose touch or get old.

Its really not an issue

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I can already see the media reports in the offseason now. "Hawthorn was linked with Barass, Battle, Perryman, and Smith but only got 3 of those signed. Despite their premiership from an 0-5 start, their rebuild is clearly a failure and Sammie Mitchell must be worried they aren't a destination club. Trade Period Grade: D+"
Are you fabricating extreme scenarios just to play the victim?

Jfc

Battle or Sicily could easily go forward. Injuries happen. Players lose touch or get old.

Its really not an issue

Sicily going forward is a negative. He’s too good a defender to move. Battle could play forward but he’s also a much better defender.

Having them all on the list is good from a depth perspective. Not so much all on the field.

Sicily going forward is a negative. He’s too good a defender to move. Battle could play forward but he’s also a much better defender.

Having them all on the list is good from a depth perspective. Not so much all on the field.
I couldn't disagree more, but play on.

Barrass is a different kind of defender to Frost. Barrass is much better in the air and is calmer with ball in hand, but I don't think has the athleticism or pace to man-mark someone like Frost has been.

We are already strong in the air with Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle playing in defence. If we add Battle too then there's another taller defender who is great in the air. But outside of Frost and a recovering Blanck we don't have a real stopper back there.

I wonder how we will fit them all in? Certainly we will be dominant in the air if we somehow have Barrass, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Battle and maybe Weddle all back in defence.

Edit: further to the above, when WCE were a top side and won the 2018 flag they had Schofield playing as a stopper, with Barrass and McGovern (especially) intercepting.

Maybe the idea is to keep Frost at FB, and have Barrass playing CHB?
Barrass to play the Lake role of deepest Defender.
Frost to play the Frawley role of primary stopper. Frost can also play on small forwards releasing Hardwick forward, or on mobile/medium forwards releasing Weddle up the ground.

People drawing the conclusion that 'Barrass &/or Battle in = Frost out' are probs under appreciating his versatility.

Barrass and Battle joining would make us the most versatile team in the Comp. Wouldn’t really have any real weaknesses (Maybe 1 gun inside mid short)

Frost takes the no1 key forward. Barrass takes the 2nd and Battle does the intercepting.

Weddle to a wing

Sicily to FF. He would easily kick 50 Goals next year. Dear and Chol can’t do it on their own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily to FF. He would easily kick 50 Goals next year. Dear and Chol can’t do it on their owown
Sicily isn't a FF/KPF.

He could possibly play the Gunston role & can definitely exploit a mismatch when he floats forward, but a KPF he isn't. At best, he'd be the 3rd Forward to Dear + Chol, not the FF.

Barass is 29 yrs old in October.
So he's 30 yrs old after one season with us (if we trade for him). If he gets a couple of injuries then Bob's your uncle.
More like his back gives up given he can struggle to get out of bed with it.

Imagine if our 2023/2024 off seasons end up being:ygf4

Mass, Ginni, Chol, Watson, McCabe, Dear, Battle & Barrass.

Add Meek, Frenchie and Weddle to the previous year.

Doing wonders for this list in a very short amount of time.
I have really enjoyed the development of HH at BH this season. I think he will be the one who jumps out next season as the big improver.

Getting his apprenticeship done at VFL level ready to burst onto the scene.

Good kid shows enough class to make the jump.

Sicily isn't a FF/KPF.

He could possibly play the Gunston role & can definitely exploit a mismatch when he floats forward, but a KPF he isn't. At best, he'd be the 3rd Forward to Dear + Chol, not the FF.

That’s essentially what I’m saying.

Our strength in the forward line this year has been Speed and defensive pressure. Last thing we want is to throw some else forward who is going to turn this into a weakness (See Geelong game when we had Gunston and Breust forward for the whole game)

Sicily as that 3rd tall Roaming up the ground. Can you imagine Sic roaming within 80m of the goals hitting up Chol / Dear on the lead?

Hawkins retiring would free up some coin, and how many of Danger, Blicavs, Guthrie, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley, Duncan or Bews will play on next season?

Hawkins is on a minimum chips. Not a lot of cap space opens up when he departs.

I love the hope of drafting as much as the next guy but getting a KPD for 3/4 years is also providing hope.
As long as we don't pay too much..our 2024 1st rounder only is plenty (no future stuff) then count me in.
Plus Battle and Perryman is still a chance. Then we can expect finals plus for the next 3 years at least.

Last edited:
I don't think he has enough impact though. He rarely wins a contested ball and there's very little damage from his possessions.
He's a gun and I still believe he'll be worth a top 10 pick.
He's also worked very hard on his contested ball as shown at Box Hill. I'm not sure if you follow Box Hill games.

His game against Adelaide was a big step in the right direction. 19 possessions with only 78% time on ground. If he played about 90% TOG
he probably gets around 24 possies.
Also about 330 metres gained.

Against the Pies he had close to 20 possies with about 72% TOG. also had 270 metres gained (same as Newk). Plus 3 clearances.

He's not kicking the ball sideways which was one criticism about him. So when kicking it fwd he's very precise.... A turnover is not what the coach wants.

The important thing is to be part of a team dynamic. And at only 20 yrs old (almost 21) he's going to be part of this dynamic team we're building.

I don't think he has enough impact though. He rarely wins a contested ball and there's very little damage from his possessions.
At the moment he is taking conservative options but he's really reliable. Can relax any time he's got it - you know he'll use it.

The negavity here is a little surprising (I understand some of the arguments)
I reckon the list management team has plenty of credit, and all due diligence re medical etc will be done. Trading and FAs were part of the plan at this point after years of drafting.
Burnt by the trading of Crazy Clarko.

Surprised at the lack of excitement over the possiblity of Sicily playing forward IF we land the Barrass/Battle double.

He's pushed forward a few times this year and scored multiple games on those occasions.

It wouldn't need to be a permanent move, but can anybody tell me why this couldn't work?...

B. Hardwick Barrass Scrimshaw
HB. Amon Battle Impey
C. Weddle Day D'Ambrosio
HF. Moore Dear Sicily
F. Watson Chol Ginnivan

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back