Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Except it is. What we understand is that Battle was in good faith negotiations with the HFC. As in he was serious about moving to Waverley. There was never any suggestion that Nash was seriously discussing moving to another club. This is what creates the issue. Going into deep discussions and offers being made and then doing a 180. Interestingly, it doesn't happen in many other sports that I am aware of because players and managers do tend to know their market value so once they make a decision to enter discussions it is like any professional commercial arrangement. Sure, some play a game of trying to inflate their contract by speaking to other clubs if they can but what happens within the AFL bubble seems a very amateur game and IMO, unprofessional. It like having to deal with a bunch of kids. I personally couldn't imagine having to deal with some of these people.
There is no issue here at all. An out of contract player went out in the market to find out his worth, he did and went back to his current employer and said match this/get close/beat it etc and they did. What is the issue?

We chased a player and missed out, shit happens.

There is no issue here at all. An out of contract player went out in the market to find out his worth, he did and went back to his current employer and said match this/get close/beat it etc and they did. What is the issue?

And this is a great thing.
It puts pressure on an opposition's salary cap.

Fair enough if he went out there to test the market but that isn't my understanding and that is what I am posting about. That is the whole point I am making.

Fair enough if he went out there to test the market but that isn't my understanding and that is what I am posting about. That is the whole point I am making.
Sorry if i got the wrong impression, what exactly are you saying? You said he was in good faith negotiations and and serious about coming. Can't that be true but he can also afterwards get a better offer from the Saints and take it?

Again, that's my point. Does your 'understanding' come from concrete inner knowledge or from eveything you've read thus far in this saga.

I'm not having a go at you, if you're privy to something then fair enough, but if you're basing your point purely on the media narrative then you're probably wrong.

Sorry if i got the wrong impression, what exactly are you saying? You said he was in good faith negotiations and and serious about coming. Can't that be true but he can also afterwards get a better offer from the Saints and take it?
Not sure if you have seen or read all my posts but all the details are there.

Not sure if you have seen or read all my posts but all the details are there.
I read most posts and i read the entirety of the one i quoted as well as the one from earlier today. I just don't know what you want to happen.

Players always will try to negotiate the best deals for themselves, as they should.
List managers need to figure out who is genuinely interested and who is using them for leverage. Ultimately even if Battle was just using us (who knows). We still haven't lost anything, yeah we put time in to him but i am sure they have done the same for countless players.

At the end of the day we never had him so we never lost him, now the Saints are a million deep on him or whatever he ends up signing for. I genuinely am not sure where the concern is.

Again, that's my point. Does your 'understanding' come from concrete inner knowledge or from eveything you've read thus far in this saga.

I'm not having a go at you, if you're privy to something then fair enough, but if you're basing your point purely on the media narrative then you're probably wrong.
Clearly, I am not stating that I have any info and point to the information that has transpired about Battle. I think that is crystal clear from my post in response to you. Read it again.

I read most posts and i read the entirety of the one i quoted as well as the one from earlier today. I just don't know what you want to happen.

Players always will try to negotiate the best deals for themselves, as they should.
List managers need to figure out who is genuinely interested and who is using them for leverage. Ultimately even if Battle was just using us (who knows). We still haven't lost anything, yeah we put time in to him but i am sure they have done the same for countless players.

At the end of the day we never had him so we never lost him, now the Saints are a million deep on him or whatever he ends up signing for. I genuinely am not sure where the concern is.

Oh well. I guess it might all boil down to how people look at things.

The Hawks have not created a brand new full time role for big Rough to swan around coffee shops and steak houses for nothing to happen.

I agree with some of the previous posts on here.

It seems to me that we are either being played more than a piano by player managers year after year with these “big names” we are right into, and then something changes at the last minute or we just have zero idea on how to actually close a deal!!!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I noticed today is the Cats defence is looking average, Crows getting out the back of a Cats defence time and again is unheard of. Baz is picking the wrong club is my point. Cats are an arrogant club playing Bowes sub and playing guys like Tuohy. If I was going to pay 2 firsts I would be talking to Tiges re Balta not Barrass. Barrass I think is good but can’t overpay. If Battle wants to stay at Saints for a pay day instead of success he will regret it

We should recall how we ended up with ginnivan, scrimshaw etc. these trades were never/hardly mentioned prior to trade week. Our normal MO is usually far from what is reported in the media.
Ginnivan was mentioned on this board at least 12 months before it happened and apparently was a chance to happen in the previous trade period.

Just as Bailey Smith was discussed in October 2023 trade period but it didn't happen.

Scrimshaw we kept in contact with since he was drafted. Same as D'Ambrosio.

Bit different.

North never wanted to keep McKay. They wanted him out to receive Pick 3, and when they got a guarantee from the AFL they gave him an insulting contract.

Saints are trying hard to keep Battle, including Ross going all out selling him their "bright future."
this is where I disagree, I think Saints are trying hard to make us up the offer so they get Band 1 compo, hence they must have been dangling the 950K mark to Battle and leak that to media.

Seems like we have not bit the bait and so they are trying to trigger FOMO in us and make it seem like battle is on theverge of being lost to Hawks.

Just stay tight and ignore the noise.

PS : Bolton may go to Freo for Pick 6 and pick 16 and he is 24yrs old. Use that as a guide to value TB for us.

Tiger fans are talking about 2 more 2nd rounders to be added for a deal but I think they will settle at 2 1st round picks.

Ginnivan was mentioned on this board at least 12 months before it happened and apparently was a chance to happen in the previous trade period.

Just as Bailey Smith was discussed in October 2023 trade period but it didn't happen.

Scrimshaw we kept in contact with since he was drafted. Same as D'Ambrosio.
Yes, hardly mentioned in the mainstream media.

We should be all in on Noah Balta. He is a free agent next year, it's almost certain he will not re sign and stick through there 10year rebuild. Might as well cough up draft capital for him now, he would want to come and Tigers you would think are happy with another pick inside the top 15. He is at a great age profile and would really slot in perfectly into our FB position.
I really hope we make this move and are at least getting into Baltas ear from now.

We should be all in on Noah Balta. He is a free agent next year, it's almost certain he will not re sign and stick through there 10year rebuild. Might as well cough up draft capital for him now, he would want to come and Tigers you would think are happy with another pick inside the top 15. He is at a great age profile and would really slot in perfectly into our FB position.
I really hope we make this move and are at least getting into Baltas ear from now.
Can we just offer our pick our pick 10 and 27( or F2) for Balta and be done with it.

We need to make this move with Balta to signal to Eagles we can't be forced to pay overs for a 29yr old, may as well pay that for 24 yr old Balta.

The Hawks have not created a brand new full time roll for big Rough to swan around coffee shops and steak houses for nothing to happen.

I agree with some of the previous posts on here.

It seems to me that we are either being played more than a piano by player managers year after year with these “big names” we are right into and then something changes at the last minute or we just have zero idea on how to actually close a deal!!!!

That can easily be fixed, Hawks need to walk away after the player and manager makes it clear that they are turning his services into a bidding war.

Back our process!

Tigers will get pick 2 or 3 next year if he leaves next year.

Would take an almighty deal to pluck him out this year. We just need to be talking to him now so that he signs with us next year and doesn’t cost us anything in picks.

So far losing out to seasoned coaches convincing players to join/stay with them vs. Mitch . Brad Scott, Chris Scott, Ross Lyon, Kenny etc. no doubt just like his coaching has, this aspect will improve as well soon enough.

Like. Pre agent like Lakey

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back