Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not often a big forward has kicked 6 goals against us this year.
Blanck would do a better job stopping Hogan one on one than Barrass.
So what's the point?

We sacrifice covering other forwards every week to cover the big boys by making it 3 v 1 in marking contests. Having a better fullback allows us to cover the others, and the flow on of having more attacking options on the ground too.

Geelong, Sydney, and Melbourne tore us apart by taking the players left behind by us covering the talls. The best sides take advantage of it and we want to beat the best.

I hope Blanck becomes a gun, but he’s coming off an ACL and only played 24 games.

Getting Barrass would be a huge instant improvement to our team.

It's not often a big forward has kicked 6 goals against us this year.
Blanck would do a better job stopping Hogan one on one than Barrass.
So what's the point?
I don't know where the stat is but heard it been talked about by Hoyne from CD a few weeks back that we concede a lot of shots on goal per inside d50.

The good news is that at our best, our game plan concedes a low amount of inside 50s to the opposition, however, because it's often on the turnover, we do concede a lot of scores in this way. You saw in the last quarter on Sunday GWS kicked 7 goals from 13 inside 50s.

Getting one of the best stoppers in the league would allow us to keep playing to our strengths with the insurance of having someone who is going to lockdown the oppositions best forwards. Seems a no-brainer to me.

I don't know where the stat is but heard it been talked about by Hoyne from CD a few weeks back that we concede a lot of shots on goal per inside d50.

The good news is that at our best, our game plan concedes a low amount of inside 50s to the opposition, however, because it's often on the turnover, we do concede a lot of scores in this way. You saw in the last quarter on Sunday GWS kicked 7 goals from 13 inside 50s.

Getting one of the best stoppers in the league would allow us to keep playing to our strengths with the insurance of having someone who is going to lockdown the oppositions best forwards. Seems a no-brainer to me.
Who is that stopper? Barrass and Battle are interceptors.

We got multiple goals kicked on us in the last from D50 transition because we had no pressure applied across half forward or through the centre, not because we didnt have a big enough lock down backman
If the ball comes down as often and as quickly as it did with GWs, no defence is going to hold up. The repeat inside 50s in the last quarter were reminiscent of the Port Power debacle. We need to pressure the ball carrier down field to help our defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the ball comes down as often and as quickly as it did with GWs, no defence is going to hold up. The repeat inside 50s in the last quarter were reminiscent of the Port Power debacle. We need to pressure the ball carrier down field to help our defenders.
This is true however a dominant FB can still limit the impact of the opposition getting a run on (which most teams will at some point) even if it is a case of spoiling the contest and getting a defensive stoppage rather than being out-marked.

Just for reference, on the weekend, Hogan had 6 contested marks and kicked 5.2 in a very tight game that we controlled for large parts.

Against the Eagles earlier this year when GWS were arguably in better form, Hogan only had 2 contested markets, kicking 2.2 in a game that was pretty much one way traffic towards his end. It is impossible to compare but I dare say if West Coast were playing Weddle on Hogan in that game he probably kicks 10.

This is true however a dominant FB can still limit the impact of the opposition getting a run on (which most teams will at some point) even if it is a case of spoiling the contest and getting a defensive stoppage rather than being out-marked.

Just for reference, on the weekend, Hogan had 6 contested marks and kicked 5.2 in a very tight game that we controlled for large parts.

Against the Eagles earlier this year when GWS were arguably in better form, Hogan only had 2 contested markets, kicking 2.2 in a game that was pretty much one way traffic towards his end. It is impossible to compare but I dare say if West Coast were playing Weddle on Hogan in that game he probably kicks 10.
Two of Hogans goals came off Weddles hands and should have been called play on.

We got multiple goals kicked on us in the last from D50 transition because we had no pressure applied across half forward or through the centre, not because we didnt have a big enough lock down backman
All of Hogans goals except one I think were one v one where he out bodied either Weddle or CJ and Frost on the goal line. That does not happen if Barrass is on him.

Has any other VIC team had back to back interstate trips this year? We have done it twice.
I'm not going to make excuses like that for the team. we r young fatigue does come into it as the season wears on no matter where u play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back