Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh as a high half forward would be sensational to watch. Creating havoc around the middle then bolting forward and kicking long bomb goals. OMG!
He could be our Curnow has the same attributes in the air and the contest but can run further up the ground Riewoldt like to be absolute nightmare for any match up. This is where he will train next season if anywhere

I reckon we will smash through his deal financially in the first two years and by year and 4 and 5 it will be right down and not affecting our cap.
Not sure how doable that is if we are also going to be bringing in Battle on big money.

So with Tim English on the cusp of signing a 5 year extension to stay with the Bulldogs this could be an opportunity for Ned Reeves to get to a club where there's a more realistic chance of senior footy. It would leave us thin in ruck stocks so we would have to look at brining in an ample back up.

We could work big Ned into the Barrass trade if he was willing to move for better opportunities.

I doubt we'd get much for him in a straight trade, rucks like Reeves have been a dying breed for years, so IMO he would probably be worth more to us as a solid back-up until Ramsden develops.

But if the WCE, and Reeves himself, were open to a move as a makeweight in the Barrass deal then it could work out for all parties. Surely they can offer him more game time? Reeves is a better ruckman than Williams.

We have a lot of money in our cap and most of our key players signed away. We can easily front-end both those contracts and have money to play with in coming years.
The current cap is around 16 million. If the two signings are on the better part of a million per year it is not going to be as easy as some are making out to front load. Day, Amon, Lewis, Worpel, Moore, Hardwick are all on solid money. A guy like Nash is going to be getting a nice boost in his deal going forward.

I think we have cap space to play with, i am not sure we have enough to suggest we can heavily front load 2 million dollars a year in cap space.

The current cap is around 16 million. If the two signings are on the better part of a million per year it is not going to be as easy as some are making out to front load. Day, Amon, Lewis, Worpel, Moore, Hardwick are all on solid money. A guy like Nash is going to be getting a nice boost in his deal going forward.

I think we have cap space to play with, i am not sure we have enough to suggest we can heavily front load 2 million dollars a year in cap space.
If I remember correctly it’s been suggested that we have this and more in cap space.

Interesting to see where Mitch plays Weddle moving forward. I think he will always be our Mr fix it and be thrown around all over the place to get the best strategic advantage over the opposition. His running power, size, endurance, great overhead/below the knees/defensive/offensive ability …… hence his versatility is his biggest strength a coaches dream to have when throwing around the magnets.

Last edited:
Adelaide coach Mathew Nicks met with Gold Coasts Jack Lukosius last week in a bid to lure him home next year. Doesn't look likely that we have any chance to convince him to come to the hawks.
Crows giving up another first round pick for a flanker when they are screaming out for class mids would just be electric.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe we have been front loading contracts for years as we haven't had the star power demanding top dollars. If we have brought forward even 10% of salaries into this year that is $1.6m right there next year.

Add to that the fact you can spend 95% of the cap and bank the rest for future years and I can see us having $3m plus in the cap for next year ready to go.

Finally, don't forget the cap will be closer to $20m by the end of a 5yr deal so if we have to start back ending a few contracts to fit people in it still won't be a problem.

From watching the news tonight hope Sam gives Petracca a call as he’s not a happy chappy at the Dees
Dees arent letting him go without getting the same level guy coming back especially if they are hoping to have one final swing with Gawn/May/Lever etc

Josh Weddle is not a mid. He will play further up the ground maybe even forward.

I think if he plays like a HHF we can maxime his run but also at times just lead out at the ball carrier, which was electric that quarter he was doing it early season. Plus he's a great contested mark with a big leap, it makes sense.

Oh and he can ping them from 50+.

All in for Trac. Exactly the type we need.

Yes I am dreaming.
Yeah they won't let him go but i'd be willing to do 2 firsts and a player for him. He is the type that instantly transforms us in to a contender.

Yeah they won't let him go but i'd be willing to do 2 firsts and a player for him. He is the type that instantly transforms us in to a contender.
they will want someone like Weddle and its a no despite me thinking that Trac is one of the top players in the league

wonder if the team monitoring it is StKilda though, rumored to have huge cap space and havent been shy in saying they want a big name mid in. Picks 5 and 6 (if Battle pulls that level of compensation) plus their future 1 and its getting close but hes under contract for another 5 years

The price would be too high for Trac. We have more pressing needs and problems.

He’d just get in Newc’s way too.
I love Newc, if I'm not #1 in his fan club I'm very close, but if we were able to acquire Petracca I'd be comfortable in telling him to shove aside for a few years and learn as much as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back