Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah pumper we would definitely trade CJ after he just extended for 3 years FMD

Your hate of him is pathetic
I dunno if reading is a weak point of yours but there is a list of 9 players there.

All of whom, except Harry didn't play last week, and all of whom are under contract.

You think we can get Barrass, Battle, Smith and Perryman with no trading of players do you?

But yeah, I just threw 8 other names in, just so I could include CJ.

And I'm not the bloke searching the internet to find me on other websites either, which is frikking weird behaviour tbh.

Last edited:
If there's a unit of credibility currency that's smaller than a grain of salt, that's what I take these posts with....

On the same level of credibility... I was talking to a North fan who says they are keen on Morrison and Lewis.

He also claims:
1. Morrison is keen to go there. If we get Battle then there will be no compo pick for Morrison, so Hawks are hoping he will either stay, or at least wait until after the FA window closes so we can trade him and at least get a 4th rounder or something.
2. North are keen on Mitch Lewis, but Melbourne's interests has diminished because they have enough to deal with. North's offer for Lewis would be F2, but they may want something like an F3 going back. (I doubt we would agree to that.)

Normally I would not bother to post this, but this is the same guy who told me Scrimshaw had signed before it was announced. According to him, North had been very much into Scrimshaw.

Take all of that with the same fraction of a portion of a piece of a grain of salt, but there it is.

I dunno if reading is a weak point of yours but there is a list of 9 players there.

All of whom, except Harry didn't play last week, and all of whom are under contract.

You think we can get Barrass, Battle, Smith and Perryman with no trading of players do you?

But yeah, I just threw 8 other names in, just so I could include CJ.

And I'm not the bloke searching the internet to find me on other websites either, which is frikking weird behaviour tbh.
How many of those others literally just re-signed?

2. North are keen on Mitch Lewis, but Melbourne's interests has diminished because they have enough to deal with. North's offer for Lewis would be F2, but they may want something like an F3 going back. (I doubt we would agree to that.)
For all the trade Lewis people, here's your massive return, could set ourselves up for years with this haul.

Dogs board yesterday. Please delete if not allowed, interesting nonetheless.
Had another poster on the page before say that Smith to Geelong is as good as done.

Last I had heard was that we were his preferred choice but we had gone cold on him. This was a month or two ago now and haven't heard anything since.
Think with us looking at Barrass, that would mean we have moved on from Smith purely due to the cost of acquiring both being hard to meet then.

Had another poster on the page before say that Smith to Geelong is as good as done.

Last I had heard was that we were his preferred choice but we had gone cold on him. This was a month or two ago now and haven't heard anything since.
Think with us looking at Barrass, that would mean we have moved on from Smith purely due to the cost of acquiring both being hard to meet then.

Baz and his management have played all the usual games.

Use a couple of decent sized clubs in a bidding war and go from there.

I was told 12 weeks back he would be playing for Geelong so perhaps we got a sniff of what was going on and said “all the best Baz, we are moving on”

Dogs board yesterday. Please delete if not allowed, interesting nonetheless.
Straight swap of Smith with Ward, fair is fair.

Every player Dogs have taken from Hawks has been very good or decent, even ToB did his role, & they have taken lots of players for free. Payback time.

Good clubs get trades done.

We got all of Ginnivan, Chol, Gunston and D’Ambrosio in last year and never let go of our first, despite plenty on Bigfooty saying that we couldn’t get all our targets in.

Another example is Taranto and Hopper at Tigers, they got them both in, and the plus side for us is that we actually have 2-3 players who other clubs are looking at offering opportunities to, which will garner us other picks to use in trades to sweeten them, should we need them.

Lots to play out yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got all of Ginnivan, Chol, Gunston and D’Ambrosio in last year and never let go of our first, despite plenty on Bigfooty saying that we couldn’t get all our targets in.

Another example is Taranto and Hopper at Tigers, they got them both in, and the plus side for us is that we actually have 2-3 players who other clubs are looking at offering opportunities to, which will garner us other picks to use in trades to sweeten them, should we need them.

Lots to play out yet.
The tigers traded horribly getting those 2 players in. Was a massive overpay. Would much rather miss on target(s) than have a trade period like they did.

Saying that aside from the teams we are trading with being pricks I can’t see us failing to bring in someone if they nominate us.

Hypothetically speaking we have plenty of avenues to create value, it's simply a matter of weather we are prepared to do it.

The following players are dispensable in the right situation....

Mackenzie1st Round Pick
Lewis1st Round Pick
Ward2nd Round Pick
Reeves2nd Round Pick
Maguiness2nd Round Pick
Hustwaite2nd Round Pick
Morrison3rd Round Pick / UFA
Grainger-Barass3rd Round Pick
Mitchell3rd Round Pick
Ramsden3rd Round Pick
Wingard4th Round Pick / UFA
StephensSteak Knives / UFA

If executed correctly we could achieve anything, including the unthinkable.

Here's our options and there values....

Barass1st, F3 & Player
BattleUFA
PerrymanUFA
SmithF1
Petracca1st, F1 & Player

I'm not for a minute saying we will pull off all of these trades, rather demonstrating that we can generate the value to make the big trades if / when we need to. We currently have our 1st & F1 and could potentially generate an additional 2 x 1sts if we were willing to move Lewis and Mackenzie.

Anyone got a different view on the above values?

The tigers traded horribly getting those 2 players in. Was a massive overpay. Would much rather miss on target(s) than have a trade period like they did.

Saying that aside from the teams we are trading with being pricks I can’t see us failing to bring in someone if they nominate us.
The post quoted wasn't saying it was a great decision to get them both, just that the Tigers got the deals done despite the high price. The obvious inference being if we want players badly enough we will also be able to get the deals done.

Lots to play out yet.
Absolutely good clubs get trades done.
Ginni, Gunston, Chol and Mass is veeerrry different in trade value at the time to Barrass and Smith, especially when Mass could have come for nothing.

Definitely a better comparison with Hopper and Taranto but it's not going to be super easy to do and will be some decent collateral going out if we want both.

The people questioning Finns ability should watch some of this seasons VFL replays.

Finn, along with Harry and Ramma have elevated their game to another level.

Finn and Harry would be locks for best 22 in 14-16 other AFL teams right now.

They are both playing career best footy and are desperately unlucky that they have such good players ahead of them - although Harry for me, now owns that wing spot at AFL level after his game against Carlton.

As far as trade options go - Seamus, Josh Ward, CJ, Harry, Henry H and Ned are the ones with currency.

DGB Chad and Stephens get cut with no suitors IMHO.

As far as 'upsetting the team' if certain players get traded - please....it's 2024 and the guys can catch up anytime they want over a myriad of mediums. Nobody will be throwing toys out the pram if a mate gets traded.

The team are way more professional that that.
It's not about upsetting the team trading players it's doing wrong by players that upsets them. Nobody was angry we traded Brockman who wanted to leave. But I wouldn't want us doing what happened to Burton and basically shoving him out the door when he didn't want to be traded.

CJ has signed a 3 yr deal and clearly loves the club and is part of a group of about 12 players who are very close. (day, scrim, moore, cj, finn, macdonald, ginni, watson and a few more)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If they knew Hopper was going to battle injury like this there's no way they would of given up what they did. The question is was nothing picked up in a medical? He has lost more than a step but had some good years at GWS prior to the injuries started and there was a bidding war with Geelong from memory.

Taranto been good, won the BnF in the first year between the two of them they gave up picks 12, 19, 31 and a future 1 but got Taranto, 53 and 63 in

It looks tough now due to the Hopper inability to stay on the park and when he is out there he doesnt have the explosive pace he used to have but they got Taranto for unders and paid overs for this version of Hopper

The post quoted wasn't saying it was a great decision to get them both, just that the Tigers got the deals done despite the high price. The obvious inference being if we want players badly enough we will also be able to get the deals done.
I was more mentioning they are a cautionary tale. Just because we can get deals done doesn’t mean we necessarily should. At some point the cost becomes too high.

On the same level of credibility... I was talking to a North fan who says they are keen on Morrison and Lewis.

He also claims:
1. Morrison is keen to go there. If we get Battle then there will be no compo pick for Morrison, so Hawks are hoping he will either stay, or at least wait until after the FA window closes so we can trade him and at least get a 4th rounder or something.

Normally I would not bother to post this, but this is the same guy who told me Scrimshaw had signed before it was announced. According to him, North had been very much into Scrimshaw.

Take all of that with the same fraction of a portion of a piece of a grain of salt, but there it is.

im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Hypothetically speaking we have plenty of avenues to create value, it's simply a matter of weather we are prepared to do it.

The following players are dispensable in the right situation....

Mackenzie1st Round Pick
Lewis1st Round Pick
Ward2nd Round Pick
Reeves2nd Round Pick
Maguiness2nd Round Pick
Hustwaite2nd Round Pick
Morrison3rd Round Pick / UFA
Grainger-Barass3rd Round Pick
Mitchell3rd Round Pick
Ramsden3rd Round Pick
Wingard4th Round Pick / UFA
StephensSteak Knives / UFA

If executed correctly we could achieve anything, including the unthinkable.

Here's our options and there values....

Barass1st, F3 & Player
BattleUFA
PerrymanUFA
SmithF1
Petracca1st, F1 & Player

I'm not for a minute saying we will pull off all of these trades, rather demonstrating that we can generate the value to make the big trades if / when we need to. We currently have our 1st & F1 and could potentially generate an additional 2 x 1sts if we were willing to move Lewis and Mackenzie.

Anyone got a different view on the above values?

Mitch Lewis averages 10 games a year over his career. No club is paying a first round pick .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back