Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an opinion mate, I'm at every Melbourne game and his intent pails in comparison to his teammates. The fact he's been in and out of the team and yet to lock down a permanent position supports my argument. He's the same age as Weddle and Weddle has progressed through half back and onto a wing, giving us a versatile swing man that is one of the first picked. Not saying Cam won't make, just that he's a long way off what I hope a top 10 draft pick can be. And don't get me started on Josh Ward!

What utter nonsense.

Mackenzie looks scared to you, why?
Because Weddle's looking like the champion he's becoming?
Or because Mackenzie's only played 18 of a possible 22 games this year?

If Mackenzie looks scared, then the Wiz is a chicken.

What utter nonsense.

Mate, he's been to every game in Melbourne this year. Clearly knows his stuff, despite not knowing how to spell our player's name or realise that Mackenzie has played the vast majority of the year.

What utter nonsense.

Just an observation mate, he's not one to put his head over the ball or lead the team in contested possession.

What are you on about?

Wow I wasn't even being subtle and it has passed you by. It's Finn MAGINNESS, not Maguiness, Maginess, Magginnesss, Macgines or whatever variation you want to come up with while mashing away with your thumbs. If you want to come here and talk down to other supporters who clearly shouldn't be talked down to by you then at least spell your own player's names right.

Secondly - Mackenzie hasn't been 'in and out' of the side as you suggest. He played every single game from round 1-19. He went back to Box Hill for a brief stint and is back in the side again. He's played 18 of a possible 21 games - not at all bad for a second year player. So far he's played 73% of his time on an AFL list in the senior side - again pretty bloody good for a second year player.

And 'don't get you started' on Ward...how about you give our young blokes some frigging patience? They can't all be like Josh Weddle and come storming out of the blocks.

One good season and some posters just can't wait to trade off our young blokes after it took the better part of a ****ing decade to get this rebuild to where it is now.

Just an observation mate, he's not one to put his head over the ball or lead the team in contested possession.
To be fair we don't know what the coaching is around this, he's not played as an inside mid, he's a great user of the footy and good in space, getting sucked into every contest trying to win the hard ball isn't the best use of his strengths at the moment when we have Nash/Worpel/Newc doing that stuff.

I can't think of a time Mackenzie hasn't gone when it's his turn. I'm not suggesting he's Luke Hodge level tough but not every player needs to be a hard nut.

As I say, a nonsensical observation.

Of course Mackenzie's not leading the team in contested possessions because as a 2nd year player he's only getting 68% game time!!
But as the youngest of the mids, he's averaging 5 CPs a game (even though he's not attending anywhere near the same stoppages as Nash, Worpel, and others). Nash is averging 9 CPs and Worpel 10. Worpel's on the ground and at stoppages 88% of the time
I guess Day is half-scared because he's only averaging 9 CPs a game.

Wow I wasn't even being subtle and it has passed you by. It's Finn MAGINNESS, not Maguiness, Maginess, Magginnesss, Macgines or whatever variation you want to come up with while mashing away with your thumbs. If you want to come here and talk down to other supporters who clearly shouldn't be talked down to by you then at least spell your own player's names right.

Secondly - Mackenzie hasn't been 'in and out' of the side as you suggest. He played every single game from round 1-19. He went back to Box Hill for a brief stint and is back in the side again. He's played 18 of a possible 21 games - not at all bad for a second year player. So far he's played 73% of his time on an AFL list in the senior side - again pretty bloody good for a second year player.

And 'don't get you started' on Ward...how about you give our young blokes some frigging patience? They can't all be like Josh Weddle and come storming out of the blocks.

One good season and some posters just can't wait to trade off our young blokes after it took the better part of a ****ing decade to get this rebuild to where it is now.
Minions Mic Drop GIF

So you posted 4 times because I made a spelling mistake. Got it.

It's a forum champ. A place where opinions are shared and morons fly off the handle when a professional athlete is criticized. Get over yourself muscles!

Players play different roles, and the structure of the midfield is outlined by the coaches in terms of how they want to play and where the players' strengths are. Why would we play Mackenzie as contested player and ask him to lead the team in contested possession when we have Newcombe, Worpel, Day, Nash?

Also, just to note, he averages 1.2 Hard Ball Gets a game. Contested ground balls, the literal definition of putting your head over the ball. It's not leading the league but it is slightly more than Will Day, Nick Vlastuin, Matthew Kennedy, Scott Pendlebury. Not players you'd call scared. Fair effort for a youngster, imo.

So you posted 4 times because I made a spelling mistake. Got it.

It's a forum champ. A place where opinions are shared and morons fly off the handle when a professional athlete is criticized. Get over yourself muscles!

Brilliant rebuttals to the points I made. I'll consider that your concession.

And you made 2 spelling mistakes - which was pretty impressive being that you spelled his name incorrectly in multiple ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have mentioned a few times that i reckon this is our best defensive lineup since Brian Lake retired – and the fact we're #1 for least points conceded since round 11 backs this up. So again do we really need Battle and Barrass? Reckon the former could be a done deal so just wondering if we're not better to hang on to that first round draft pick (and $$), and back Blanck, Serong, Phillips/and or DGB to do the job our backup key defenders. Obviously I will back the club 100% and will be thrilled to get Barrass (absolute gun) but seems like a luxury we don't necessarily need. People will cite the GWS game as an example why we need a tall KDP but Hogan is monstering all sides this year, so dunno, reckon we're pretty capable back there.

Have mentioned a few times that i reckon this is our best defensive lineup since Brian Lake retired – and the fact we're #1 for least points conceded since round 11 backs this up. So again do we really need Battle and Barrass? Reckon the former could be a done deal so just wondering if we're not better to hang on to that first round draft pick (and $$), and back Blanck, Serong, Phillips/and or DGB to do the job our backup key defenders. Obviously I will back the club 100% and will be thrilled to get Barrass (absolute gun) but seems like a luxury we don't necessarily need. People will cite the GWS game as an example why we need a tall KDP but Hogan is monstering all sides this year, so dunno, reckon we're pretty capable back there.

Before Curnow went down he and McKay were having some influence in the first quarter on Sunday. Hogan made us look silly at times against. The Crows came into our defensive 50 at east in the first quarter of our game a few weeks back. The Geelong game we were completely overwhelmed defensively. Sure, all teams have moments where oppositions get over the top of them defensively so these aren't compelling reasons alone - but there are still signs that we need improvement down back. Frost/Sicily are working well together but they aren't always reliable against a monster forward who is getting good supply.

Our defence was 90% of the way there and good enough to be a kick away from a grand final in 2011 and a couple of kicks away from a flag in 2012. Brian Lake still made us so much better - and getting Frawley in 2015 sure as hell didn't hurt either.

Barrass allows others to get freed up. Namely Sicily to focus more on intercepting and feeding the midfield and Weddle to roam the ground. Blanck we all hope becomes a dominant AFL level KPD - but I still think that's not close to a guarantee despite his prospective talent. So getting Barrass is a sure thing for adding a quality tall defender, in addition to possibly helping Blanck's development via mentoring also.

Why get Battle as well? For mine - age profile. He's a few years younger than both Sicily and Frost so provides some future proofing for when those two depart down the line.

I am 6hrs behind AEST and every morning I log into this thread most of our squad would be up for trade. I am afraid if we will have a squad left for 2025 by the time the trade window opens.

Bloody hell people we are not trading away McKenzie or CJ

Just announced CJ signed a 3 year extension so very remote……

McKenzie - why?

And to also question (and this is my view)

Ward - why? In and out of the side doesn’t mean much. He bleeds hawthorn.

Reeves - ok get it as Ramma is coming through and Tucker needs more time.

Morrison - looks like he is getting to 100.

Serong - his time will come. He has shown enough

DGB - ship him to WC as part of the Barass deal.

Phillips - I think he gets chopped at the end of the year

O’Sullivan - also think he gets chopped.

Got a sneaking suspicion Chad retires and Stephens gets another year as a rookie.

Bennetts - either gets another year as a rookie or gets upgraded.

I agree with no point selling him for unders, but also definitely don’t think ‘he’s the missing piece’. He simply cannot get on the park and when he did this year he looked extremely slow. Not sure where is his place is the way the game is going.
I don't think it's a good idea to give up on Mitch just yet. I'm a big believer in that his body has been all out of whack since he sprained his ACL (left knee) in the 2023 preseason. The season prior he had put together a decent amount of games and was looking like our future KPF.

Then last season after missing the first 6 games played 15 games but I do recall there was a game somewhere in there where he slid forward for a mark and bashed his knee into the turf and I think that is the game where he damaged some cartilage in his knee. I'm pretty sure that ended his 2023 season as we decided to wrap him in cotton wool.

This season he played rounds 1, 2 + 3 and then didn't return again until round 17 against the Cats where he unluckily + awkwardly ruptured the ACL in his left knee the same one with the cartilage issue.

For a long time now I couldn't piece together if all his knee troubles were to the same knee until I read this article
which pretty much confirms it https://archive.is/4TgEk

Now going back to the 2023 preseason where he sprained the same ACL our medicos said that he didn't require a reconstruction and that the ligament was stable but there has obviously been lingering cartilage issues from the initial sprain that has likely caused stability issues in the knee. And like you say when he returned this season he has looked slow and proppy and not the same Mitch Lewis that loves to work his way all the way up to the wing / HBF and then back again.

It might sound harsh but I truly believe that him rupturing the ligament might actually have been the best thing because they would've then been able to go into it and clean everything out that they need to. Also without trying to doubt our medicos too much I'm not 100% sure that the ligament was as stable as they stated and that is the reason why I think it was best that it ruptured and now a new ligament in there and the knee capsule cleaned out.

I truely believe that Mitch is going to surprise a lot in here that have given up on him but I haven't.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back