Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have mentioned a few times that i reckon this is our best defensive lineup since Brian Lake retired – and the fact we're #1 for least points conceded since round 11 backs this up. So again do we really need Battle and Barrass? Reckon the former could be a done deal so just wondering if we're not better to hang on to that first round draft pick (and $$), and back Blanck, Serong, Phillips/and or DGB to do the job our backup key defenders. Obviously I will back the club 100% and will be thrilled to get Barrass (absolute gun) but seems like a luxury we don't necessarily need. People will cite the GWS game as an example why we need a tall KDP but Hogan is monstering all sides this year, so dunno, reckon we're pretty capable back there.
Big forwards vs us:
-Geelong rd 3 (Hawkins 5 shots on goal)
-Gold Coast (King 8 shots on goal)
-Adelaide (Tex 6 shots on goal)
-GWS (hogan 7 shots on goal)
-Geelong (jezza 8 shots on goal)
-Sydney (Mcdonald 6 shots on goal)

There’s a bunch of players who have had 4-5 shots on goal too. This is where a Barrass helps us out, not to say Blanck wouldn’t do the same trick though.

Just announced CJ signed a 3 year extension so very remote……

McKenzie - why?

And to also question (and this is my view)

Ward - why? In and out of the side doesn’t mean much. He bleeds hawthorn.

Reeves - ok get it as Ramma is coming through and Tucker needs more time.

Morrison - looks like he is getting to 100.

Serong - his time will come. He has shown enough

DGB - ship him to WC as part of the Barass deal.

Phillips - I think he gets chopped at the end of the year

O’Sullivan - also think he gets chopped.

Got a sneaking suspicion Chad retires and Stephens gets another year as a rookie.

Bennetts - either gets another year as a rookie or gets upgraded.
Serong will need to be very patient as i can't see him getting a game if we bolster our defence with Battle and Barrass

I think all those complaining about CJ are not seeing the future. CJ has essentially not played for two years. His touch and decision making will return the more he plays with the group. It will become second nature. Does Morrison deserve his place in the side. Yes will CJ replace someone else in the side maybe.

Again with the spelling mistakes?? Seriously?

i am serious leslie nielsen GIF

Serong will need to be very patient as i can't see him getting a game if we bolster our defence with Battle and Barrass

Isn’t he signed until end of 2025?

Personally i think we may be giving too much for Barrass unless DGB is included. Battle I can understand - free hit.

Why get Battle as well? For mine - age profile. He's a few years younger than both Sicily and Frost so provides some future proofing for when those two depart down the line.

And there WILL be injuries to our defensive talls at times.
That extra high performing tall will carry us through important games that make the difference between getting knocked out of making finals/top 4 or finding a way to glory.
I think Phillips is limited and DGB hasn't shown enough. Serong is nice - I'm a fan - but not the same power athlete who projects to play above his height, Blanck to take time to fully fledge his capabilities.

Battle is legit adding extra legs to the table.
How often does a true classy tall defender in a great age profile become available, want to come to your Club, and requires only finding the right contract to make happen?
He's also not douchey.
I'm really hoping he comes to us.

I think all those complaining about CJ are not seeing the future. CJ has essentially not played for two years. His touch and decision making will return the more he plays with the group. It will become second nature. Does Morrison deserve his place in the side. Yes will CJ replace someone else in the side maybe.
Agreed. It took Impey almost 18 months to get back to his best after his ACL. Look at how he's flying now.

And there WILL be injuries to our defensive talls at times.
That extra high performing tall will carry us through important games that make the difference between getting knocked out of making finals/top 4 or finding a way to glory.
I think Phillips is limited and DGB hasn't shown enough. Serong is nice - I'm a fan - but not the same power athlete who projects to play above his height, Blanck to take time to fully fledge his capabilities.

Battle is legit adding extra legs to the table.
How often does a true classy tall defender in a great age profile become available, want to come to your Club, and requires only finding the right contract to make happen?
He's also not douchey.
I'm really hoping he comes to us.
Yep, You would think our List Management know what they are doing.

I am definitely not anti-CJ and he's far from a whipping boy. My fumbly comment is based on his 2024 output only - agree he is a future part of our side.

I love CJ, he is a massive part of our future, and our next flag(s). Is he a part of our lineup this week? If it's a choice between he and Haz Moz, HM gets it. Offers just a little more at this point.

Yeah, nah.
Morrison provides plenty of run up and down the wings. In the game on the weekend he had more rebound 50's and inside 50's than CJ has managed in any game he's played this year. While also gathering 20 possessions himself which CJ has done once in all his games this year.

Morrison is tireless and more importantly runs to good spots on the field (in fact Ward, CJ and D'Ambrosio have all been open in the F50 when we move the ball well), but he doesn't run with the ball like CJ. I'm assuming that was his point?

Morrison had had 8 bounces in his career, whilst CJ had more than one a game during his best season.

Not that it's a deal breaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a good idea to give up on Mitch just yet. I'm a big believer in that his body has been all out of whack since he sprained his ACL (left knee) in the 2023 preseason. The season prior he had put together a decent amount of games and was looking like our future KPF.

Then last season after missing the first 6 games played 15 games but I do recall there was a game somewhere in there where he slid forward for a mark and bashed his knee into the turf and I think that is the game where he damaged some cartilage in his knee. I'm pretty sure that ended his 2023 season as we decided to wrap him in cotton wool.

This season he played rounds 1, 2 + 3 and then didn't return again until round 17 against the Cats where he unluckily + awkwardly ruptured the ACL in his left knee the same one with the cartilage issue.

For a long time now I couldn't piece together if all his knee troubles were to the same knee until I read this article
which pretty much confirms it https://archive.is/4TgEk

Now going back to the 2023 preseason where he sprained the same ACL our medicos said that he didn't require a reconstruction and that the ligament was stable but there has obviously been lingering cartilage issues from the initial sprain that has likely caused stability issues in the knee. And like you say when he returned this season he has looked slow and proppy and not the same Mitch Lewis that loves to work his way all the way up to the wing / HBF and then back again.

It might sound harsh but I truly believe that him rupturing the ligament might actually have been the best thing because they would've then been able to go into it and clean everything out that they need to. Also with trying to doubt our medicos too much I'm not 100% sure that the ligament was as stable as they stated and that is the reason why I think it was best that it ruptured and now a new ligament in there and the knee capsule cleaned out.

I truely believe that Mitch is going to surprise a lot in here that have given up on him but I haven't.
100% agree. Crazy to give up on him now.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club clearly rates CJ very highly.
If he is available he almost always comes straight back in and he has just got a 3 years extension.

He is still a pup in terms of games played, even if it feels like he has been around a long time.

I think our back six last 10 weeks has had brilliant support from our midfielders and half forwards working hard across/up the ground applying pressure when they don’t have the ball …… not allowing the opposition to move the ball easily to their forward line. Then when we get the ball back we move in waves. Love our game style. We need to be fit and maybe that’s why our drafting in recent times has focused on kids with good endurance.

Last edited:
Before Curnow went down he and McKay were having some influence in the first quarter on Sunday. Hogan made us look silly at times against. The Crows came into our defensive 50 at east in the first quarter of our game a few weeks back. The Geelong game we were completely overwhelmed defensively. Sure, all teams have moments where oppositions get over the top of them defensively so these aren't compelling reasons alone - but there are still signs that we need improvement down back. Frost/Sicily are working well together but they aren't always reliable against a monster forward who is getting good supply.

Our defence was 90% of the way there and good enough to be a kick away from a grand final in 2011 and a couple of kicks away from a flag in 2012. Brian Lake still made us so much better - and getting Frawley in 2015 sure as hell didn't hurt either.

Barrass allows others to get freed up. Namely Sicily to focus more on intercepting and feeding the midfield and Weddle to roam the ground. Blanck we all hope becomes a dominant AFL level KPD - but I still think that's not close to a guarantee despite his prospective talent. So getting Barrass is a sure thing for adding a quality tall defender, in addition to possibly helping Blanck's development via mentoring also.

Why get Battle as well? For mine - age profile. He's a few years younger than both Sicily and Frost so provides some future proofing for when those two depart down the line.
Cool thanks appreciate the detailed reply here. As i said, don't have any great qualms with us bolstering the side in any way, but least points scored in the comp is a damn impressive stat and food for thought. Also Battle turning 26 in a few weeks time is older than I expected

Have mentioned a few times that i reckon this is our best defensive lineup since Brian Lake retired – and the fact we're #1 for least points conceded since round 11 backs this up. So again do we really need Battle and Barrass? Reckon the former could be a done deal so just wondering if we're not better to hang on to that first round draft pick (and $$), and back Blanck, Serong, Phillips/and or DGB to do the job our backup key defenders. Obviously I will back the club 100% and will be thrilled to get Barrass (absolute gun) but seems like a luxury we don't necessarily need. People will cite the GWS game as an example why we need a tall KDP but Hogan is monstering all sides this year, so dunno, reckon we're pretty capable back there.
I have wax and wane between the need for Battle and Barass based on the turn around in defence as you have mentioned.

Then I think about having Sic and Weddle roaming further up the ground, frightening. Sic kicking into the forward lines 6+ a game is exciting.

Weddle is a freak, 70 metre player. Half back to F50 in seconds, frightening.

Excited All In GIF by ABC Network

I have wax and wane between the need for Battle and Barass based on the turn around in defence as you have mentioned.

Then I think about having Sic and Weddle roaming further up the ground, frightening. Sic kicking into the forward lines 6+ a game is exciting.

Weddle is a freak, 70 metre player. Half back to F50 in seconds, frightening.

Excited All In GIF by ABC Network
Dunno about that as I reckon Weddle and Sicily are key as to why our defence looks so good. But yes, they'd be awesome anywhere

Cool thanks appreciate the detailed reply here. As i said, don't have any great qualms with us bolstering the side in any way, but least points scored in the comp is a damn impressive stat and food for thought. Also Battle turning 26 in a few weeks time is older than I expected

Free agents are seldom young unless they had previously been delisted. Good thing is that they are coming in their prime years.

Isn’t he signed until end of 2025?

Personally i think we may be giving too much for Barrass unless DGB is included. Battle I can understand - free hit.
he is but don't reckon he'll get a game with Barrass and Battle in the side, so you couldn't begrudge him if he explored other options after next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back