Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you comfortable with one first rounder? It was all we were going to give for him as a starting point . Don’t listen to the media. WCE know this. Just wait.
That’s probably fair where we land, it would be nice to get another pick in the second round somehow. Would love to get Tobie T in this draft, looks a Will Day clone. Giving up any more than our first pick for a 29 yo, wouldn’t be great particularly given this draft depth and Tassie coming in.

No, people are worried when a player himself admits he struggles with his back daily, acknowledges it can potentially shorten his career and it is something he has to manage every day. It is simply a worry.

They gambled on Burgoyne it paid off, they gambled on O’meara it didn’t. Clubs don’t always get it right.
O’meara missed 9 games over 2018-2022, Breust for reference missed 8 games. His knee was fine, he just wasn't the player people thought he would be.

O’meara missed 9 games over 2018-2022, Breust for reference missed 8 games. His knee was fine, he just wasn't the player people thought he would be.
I am not talking about games missed, I am talking about the fact he was managed through the week his entire time at the club and was never able to reach his potential.

We paid a very high price for a player on the belief he would be able to be the player everyone expected, his body didn’t allow that. This shouldn’t even be a debate.

Isn't Barrass top 5 for losses in 1-on-1 contests? Was a stat up on Footy Classified or On the Couch last week

He is also top 5 for marks in 1-on-1.

So he either will win the contest with a mark, or get out-marked himself. He's a win or lose. Doesn't half many.

Not sure that's ideal, but seems to be against convention that he's an elite defender

Key defenders sorted by 1on1 contest loss percentage
View attachment 2080765

Barrass averaged over 7 spoils per game, the most of all defenders listed, as per the stats you provided in your subsequent post.

Would appear to contradict the assertion he either marks or is out marked?

The personal sniping in here is silly. Decisions aren’t binary right or wrong (unless with hindsight). It’s about weighing risk and reward.

I’m on board with Barass. I think he’s a gun and we remain vulnerable to key forwards with quick ball movement. I suspect this is what will get us come finals. Sicily is a weapon who we can’t let get trapped on keys and Weddle needs to be released up field. We went for McKay last year and Barass is a much better player. A key defensive pillar for the next 3-4 years helps put us in flag contention.

Concerns with his fitness and injury history are valid. Thats a risk and it’s pointless pretending it is zero risk. There’s scar tissue from overpaying for JOM who gave ordinary return on investment but that’s the risk you take. A big difference is that we needed JOM to be a centre piece which he wasn’t able to be. This is more like Lake or Gibson - adding valuable pieces to a list that already has a lot of the central pieces.

Hopefully the price reflects the risk / reward. I think our first pick - which is now looking at being 10-15 - is a reasonable main piece of a trade. Two firsts would be overs and I doubt very much that is in play unless we keep winning this year (and pick goes 15+) and it includes a swap like our F1 and we get their F2 (which will be low) etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barass in the worst 5 for 1on1 loss % doesn’t look great but id be interested to know his stats for this in previous years. To my eye he’s been and still is an A grade defender.
Can’t pretend the nature of forward entries isnt a huge part in these misleading stats. Key defenders in weak sides are often lambs to the slaughter. Barass has 10 years body of work. He’s a very good defender

Last edited:
Barass in the worst 5 for 1on1 loss % doesn’t look great but id be interested to know his stats for this in previous years. To my eye he’s been and still is an A grade defender.

Agree with your take he looks an A grade defender.

Also worth noting 4.4% separates Barass (34.4%) in 4th on the list and Lever who sits 20th at 30%. I'm no statistician but when Barass averages 1.8 1v1 contests per game I'm guessing it's a small sample size so one loss or win week to week will have a big impact on where Barass sits on that list.

I'm up for grabbing Barass. I like Blancky, and think he has a big future, but he is as yet unproven (and no, I'm not going to be one of these idiots howling "he's not Chris Langford in his first 25 games!!")

If we grab Barass (and he stays healthy), our backline, already performing well, starts to look complete. Like a premiership contending backline. It frees up Sis to float around the backline and Weds to run free up the field, destroying all in his path.

Gives us the kind of depth we have with small forwards too - Barass, Frost, Blanck, Scrim, Weds (when needed back there), Dimma, Imps, with McCabe to develop. Damn that looks good. If we happen to chuck Battle in there as well, start engraving another cup.....

Last edited:
No, people are worried when a player himself admits he struggles with his back daily, acknowledges it can potentially shorten his career and it is something he has to manage every day. It is simply a worry.

They gambled on Burgoyne it paid off, they gambled on O’meara it didn’t. Clubs don’t always get it right.

Scully, Tom Mitchell no matter how these blokes recover their careers are never the same as they were pre-injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back