Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who exactly are we getting to fill that role without using our 1st?

Not exactly a plethora of KPD up for grabs around the traps.

I think you hit the nail on the head, not exactly a plethora of KPD, it's the reason why we are over reaching for a 29 year old FB with a injury history for a first round pick.

The personal sniping in here is silly. Decisions aren’t binary right or wrong (unless with hindsight). It’s about weighing risk and reward.

I’m on board with Barass. I think he’s a gun and we remain vulnerable to key forwards with quick ball movement. I suspect this is what will get us come finals. Sicily is a weapon who we can’t let get trapped on keys and Weddle needs to be released up field. We went for McKay last year and Barass is a much better player. A key defensive pillar for the next 3-4 years helps put us in flag contention.

Concerns with his fitness and injury history are valid. Thats a risk and it’s pointless pretending it is zero risk. There’s scar tissue from overpaying for JOM who gave ordinary return on investment but that’s the risk you take. A big difference is that we needed JOM to be a centre piece which he wasn’t able to be. This is more like Lake or Gibson - adding valuable pieces to a list that already has a lot of the central pieces.

Hopefully the price reflects the risk / reward. I think our first pick - which is now looking at being 10-15 - is a reasonable main piece of a trade. Two firsts would be overs and I doubt very much that is in play unless we keep winning this year (and pick goes 15+) and it includes a swap like our F1 and we get their F2 (which will be low) etc.

Did we really need JOM we should have hit the draft earlier, even worse when we ended up a few years later trading him away for picks.

Did we really need JOM we should have hit the draft earlier, even worse when we ended up a few years later trading him away for picks.
I agree and that’s the risk/reward. On that occasion the risk that he couldn’t become a star with physical restrictions came to fruition. I think this one is different and more like Lake. A risk, but I think worthwhile with the rest of our list shape

Scully, Tom Mitchell no matter how these blokes recover their careers are never the same as they were pre-injury.
Petracca immediately comes to mind let alone Impey. A lot of ppl here are risk averse and that is just part of who u are. I understand that. If u do not take risks however u never achieve greatness.

It's true in all facets of life let alone a football club. We took the risk on burgoyne it paid off. We took the risk on Jom well didn't go as well. You ride the bumps and keep trying don't let the past stop you from making important decisions. If we tow the line and head to the draft like a Carlton and so many others u end up like them.

Hawthorn have always been brave with their list strategy. Historically it's what makes us stand out from the rest of the pack.

A lot here complained about letting go of Mitch and Hodge and a few of our ageing champs. You go to other supporters boards and you are lauded for those decisions including letting go of a hawthorn coaching legend for a novice coach. Big decisions with huge risk and you now have the 2024 hawthorn season.

Hawthorn are the club we are because we ride a tight rope. Always on the edge(not essendon edge lol)

I remember when we drafted Will Day and a lot of posters on here said WTF.
I remember when we traded for Chol a lot of posters on here said WTF.
I remember when a lot of the same posters started saying “WTF do I know” followed by “We should just trust our list management team”

Not sure I'd hold my breath we'll take a KPF in this upcoming draft......if both Barrass and Battle make it over then every chance Weddle and Sic get some playing time forward next year.

It COULD happen we find a young key forward we like (and I myself wouldn't hate it), but I think the Club right now would be sold on Dear having a future for us in attack, Chol aint leaving, Lewis could make it back, Weddle would be sensational, McCabe might get the chance if the Backline is super settled, Scaife seems a fair prospect, and Serong would be a possibility too if he's still on the list.

Not the raging need it has seemed in recent years.
Well put! What is our next need? Ruck? More outside class? Or the final piece....a mongrel in the mould of Campbell Brown?

How do people think you can get a quality KPD who is contracted (that the club wants, fills a stated need and will do all due diligence) without using our first round as a minimum?
I agree it’ll be a 1st round pick but if the Eagles wanted him to see out his contract they would of shutdown the trade talk and I bet there wouldn’t of been a meeting between Sam and Barrass over in Perth

No, people are worried when a player himself admits he struggles with his back daily, acknowledges it can potentially shorten his career and it is something he has to manage every day. It is simply a worry.

They gambled on Burgoyne it paid off, they gambled on O’meara it didn’t. Clubs don’t always get it right.
O'Meara is in his 8th season since we recruited him and his best football was with Hawthorn. He showed potential early to one day be a better player than he ended up being but that's true of many players.

O'Meara's legacy is hurt by the hype as a junior.

I am not talking about games missed, I am talking about the fact he was managed through the week his entire time at the club and was never able to reach his potential.

We paid a very high price for a player on the belief he would be able to be the player everyone expected, his body didn’t allow that. This shouldn’t even be a debate.
I disagree with this a bit. Yes he had an injury to manage but Burgoyne also was managing his training his entire time with us.

O'Meara is in his 8th year now since the trade and he doesn't he still often tops the KMs and top speeds in games. He can passed players he ran them into the ground. I never watched him play and thought he was too slow or couldn't run out a game.

He simply wasn't as good as people thought he would be. And mostly due to his kicking and decision making. And also his clearance game wasn't in the top tier hence why Freo are playing him on a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's get this out in the open Sic will never play forward permanently. He might go there as a break glass however will then go back the following week. He is just too valuable behind the ball
Without the pressure of being a CHB. Imagine what flexibility Barrass and Battle provide. Let alone McCabe and Blank and Serong.

Battle could play forward. Weddle would also be able “to run free”.

I am not mentioning Smith yet.

Last edited:
Has anyone said that giving up our 1st ,11 or 12 is too much? I think it’s more giving up this years 1st and next years 1st is where the apprehension is.

I have seen a whole lot of west Australian media say “multiple first round picks will be needed however I listened to a discussion the other day where they said Hawks first round pick plus a late pick or fringe player will be more than adequate for a 29 year old to get the deal done.

The personal sniping in here is silly. Decisions aren’t binary right or wrong (unless with hindsight). It’s about weighing risk and reward.

I’m on board with Barass. I think he’s a gun and we remain vulnerable to key forwards with quick ball movement. I suspect this is what will get us come finals. Sicily is a weapon who we can’t let get trapped on keys and Weddle needs to be released up field. We went for McKay last year and Barass is a much better player. A key defensive pillar for the next 3-4 years helps put us in flag contention.

Concerns with his fitness and injury history are valid. Thats a risk and it’s pointless pretending it is zero risk. There’s scar tissue from overpaying for JOM who gave ordinary return on investment but that’s the risk you take. A big difference is that we needed JOM to be a centre piece which he wasn’t able to be. This is more like Lake or Gibson - adding valuable pieces to a list that already has a lot of the central pieces.

Hopefully the price reflects the risk / reward. I think our first pick - which is now looking at being 10-15 - is a reasonable main piece of a trade. Two firsts would be overs and I doubt very much that is in play unless we keep winning this year (and pick goes 15+) and it includes a swap like our F1 and we get their F2 (which will be low) etc.
Agree with everything you said except the quick ball movement. Frost with his speed is better than Barrass at defending key forwards on the lead or when the ball hits the ground. Where Barrass is far superior is marking/defending the slow build-up, high ball which frustratingly kills us at times!! Hope we get TB, just wish he was a little younger!

Well put! What is our next need? Ruck? More outside class? Or the final piece....a mongrel in the mould of Campbell Brown?

I love all of those traits you've named. We generally hunt Ruck from bargain bins so unlikely we'll all of a sudden allocate high draft resources to it......
Mmmh, it's tough to call as I've wondered the same. What are we really missing?

To me it's a highwire act with insane forward craft. A taller more consistent Kysaiah Pickett with an effortless leap who just can't be matched up.
Is there a fella like that in this upcoming draft, you know, a bolter from the bush? ;) :rainbow:

Last edited:
Let's get this out in the open Sic will never play forward permanently. He might go there as a break glass however will then go back the following week. He is just too valuable behind the ball
Absolutely, with a clean bill of health and Battle and Barrass in the team he would absolutely dominate.

Take this with a grain of salt. I like Caro will not reveal my source.

Barass done an dusted, just need to get trade done
I’m guessing the source is you.

The only other option is some kind of weird Manchurian Candidate type of arrangement but I’m struggling to figure out the purpose and the adverse party.

I remember when we drafted Will Day and a lot of posters on here said WTF.
I remember when we traded for Chol a lot of posters on here said WTF.
I remember when a lot of the same posters started saying “WTF do I know” followed by “We should just trust our list management team”
I think a lot of us, myself included, you'd to say "in Clarko we trust". I'm not against people questioning decisions.

As for the Barrass, I just want us to pay a fair price and walk away if it gets too ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back