Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis won't want to move.
And would Melbourne want a key forward in return for their best player who is likely missing the entire next season?

This has St.Kilda written all over it.
Max King and the first rounder they get for Battle.

They'll sell the professionalism of Ross Lyon first and foremost. Then just say the first half of this year was an aberration.

Would create a solid partnership with Jack Steele.

Also, he knows he'd be the main reason why their crowds and membership figures sky-rocket. Would be a HEAP of interest in watching him play for another club.
He isn't going to Saints.

He wants premierships.

Where the hell does big G come from?

Can prob live with the rest although really wouldn't like seeing yet another Hawk name playing for the Swans and Ward at the dee's 🥲

The admin staff got a bit muddled up trying to make sure there were enough future picks in later rounds to trade our first and that one fell off the list. I'll have to reprimand them.

Lewis won't want to move.
And would Melbourne want a key forward in return for their best player who is likely missing the entire next season?

This has St.Kilda written all over it.
Max King and the first rounder they get for Battle.

They'll sell the professionalism of Ross Lyon first and foremost. Then just say the first half of this year was an aberration.

Would create a solid partnership with Jack Steele.

Also, he knows he'd be the main reason why their crowds and membership figures sky-rocket. Would be a HEAP of interest in watching him play for another club.
King is supposedly just about to sign a thumper extension.

I just don't see a way Melbourne trade CP, they still feel they are in the window (rightly or wrongly). They would be looking to reload, if they lose Petracca any dreams of extending this window is closed. If they move him they are stuck with Oliver, Gawn, May, Lever, Viney, Langdon all in/around the tail end of their primes. They will not be able to replace the Petracca level talent and they won't be in a position to commit to a rebuild.

This is more than just losing a player, list wise i don't see how they could lose him and set themselves up in the short or long term.

I just don't see a way Melbourne trade CP, they still feel they are in the window (rightly or wrongly). They would be looking to reload, if they lose Petracca any dreams of extending this window is closed. If they move him they are stuck with Oliver, Gawn, May, Lever, Viney, Langdon all in/around the tail end of their primes. They will not be able to replace the Petracca level talent and they won't be in a position to commit to a rebuild.

This is more than just losing a player, list wise i don't see how they could lose him and set themselves up in the short or long term.
Depends on how strong his demand is to leave. It sounds pretty damn strong!

Was on Footy Classified as top 5 for losing 1-on-1 contests this year

Pretty lazy analysis given 4.4% separates 4th on the list from Lever in 20th.

Given Barrass averages 1.8 1v1 contests per game it's a small sample size so one or two wins or losses will have a big impact on where he sits on the list.

Personally I put more stock in who our list manager, recruitment team and coaching panel rate than a few headline grabbing experts on Footy Classified.

You really think McKay is sitting back saying ‘yeh that complete ****ing rabble where a superstar is desperate to leave is where I want to play instead of with all of my best friends’?

I’d be sniffing around McKay (or TDK), we’d be much more attractive. Blues need space and a pick if they are serious about Houston, Silvagni and TDK are more than capable of playing second/third forward instead of McKay and realistically they can’t all play together.
Yeah, because no player has ever been traded when they really wanted to stay :think:
My bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're a better fit for Petracca if he wants good culture and chance at premierships.

He'd make Carlton & Collingwood instant contenders, but trade collateral would be an issue.
Geelong has the worst list dems on paper but they keep winning, and so professional.

If we wanted this, we could do it with the least damage to our list vs the other 3.

He's young enough St.Kilda and North are still better options from that perspective than Collingwood, Richmond and Geelong with their list demographics.
My guy, Saints want to rebuild through the draft.

Re CP:
  • He wants out of Melbourne FC.
  • He will not move interstate.
  • He would entertain offers from any Victorian club but would prefer one that is competing in, or close to, finals.
  • His destination would also need to have a culture that he is happy with.
  • He likes Hawthorn ... has friends there.
  • Melb FC are going to demand heavy compensation. Coming back to them will include, ideally, an elite established forward.

I don't know whether the Hawks want him or can get him. I do know that we are absolutely one of his preferred destinations.

On SM-A226B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If I were Melbourne I just would not trade him under any circumstances.

To give him up you'd need serious compensation in return and anyone offering that will cripple their list.

It's not like Bolton where it's probably best for Richmond to get some extra picks.

If I were Melbourne I just would not trade him under any circumstances.

To give him up you'd need serious compensation in return and anyone offering that will cripple their list.

It's not like Bolton where it's probably best for Richmond to get some extra picks.
They wont have a choice. They have allowed a drug culture to spread through the club for years and now mismanaging star players. The wheels are wobbling and they're about to fall off. The whole club is about to be rocked hard, watch this space...

They wont have a choice. They have allowed a drug culture to spread through the club for years and now mismanaging star players. The wheels are wobbling and they're about to fall off. The whole club is about to be rocked hard, watch this space...
Claz has recommitted to the club. Going nowhere now.

Not sure where that leaves Trac.

Who says no...

HAW OUT - Lewis, Pick 12, F1 (HAW)
HAW IN - Barrass, Petracca

MEL OUT - Petracca
MEL IN - Lewis, Pick 12, F1 (HAW), F2 (WCE)

WCE OUT - Barrass, F2 (WCE)
WCE IN - Pick 6, DGB

West Coast. DGB is next to worthless - giving up Barrass and a pick in the very early 20s for pick 6 should see their list manager getting asked some tough questions from his superiors and members alike.

Last edited:
I would argue petracca is a similar value to Jeremy Cameron which was 3 firsts (albeit double digit) with 2 seconds going back so roughly 2 middle firsts. Max King is probably worth a late first and could be a possible part of a three way trade. For petracca to get to us we would need to move some fringe players to get bid matching picks to then grab another first say from the lions. A trade I haven’t spent much time on could look something like this haven’t said who the fringe players would be and pies 2nd could also be a player to saints as an alternative.
Dees get hawks f1 max king saints r3
Saints get lions r1 pies r2
Hawks get petracca

Barrass for r1 plus Battle FA and petracca as above then take Cody Anderson NGA and re rookie 2 players like Breust and Gunston to satisfy 3 picks at ND.

I would argue petracca is a similar value to Jeremy Cameron which was 3 firsts (albeit double digit) with 2 seconds going back so roughly 2 middle firsts. Max King is probably worth a late first and could be a possible part of a three way trade. For petracca to get to us we would need to move some fringe players to get bid matching picks to then grab another first say from the lions. A trade I haven’t spent much time on could look something like this haven’t said who the fringe players would be and pies 2nd could also be a player to saints as an alternative.
Hawks get petracca

Barrass for r1 plus Battle FA and petracca as above then take Cody Anderson NGA and re rookie 2 players like Breust and Gunston to satisfy 3 picks at ND.

Cameron was what aged about 27 compared to Trac who's nearly 30 and coming off a very serious injury? No comparison for mine between the two. I'd like the Trac, but I wouldn't be giving up what they'll rightfully ask for him though. Can't see this happening to be honest. Goodwin goes and Trac stays is my feel.

Who says no...

HAW OUT - Lewis, Pick 12, F1 (HAW)
HAW IN - Barrass, Petracca

MEL OUT - Petracca
MEL IN - Lewis, Pick 12, F1 (HAW), F2 (WCE)

WCE OUT - Barrass, F2 (WCE)
WCE IN - Pick 6, DGB

The AFL would say no because pick 6 appears in the "in" column but not the "out" column. Where does it come from?

Melbourne would not give up pick 6 AND Petracca.

Hawks get petracca

That values Petracca at 2025 Pick 15-20 + 2024 Pick 28ish (C'wood 2nd), yeah?

That be pretty sweet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back