Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarke said this year’s first (should be 15 - 18), and next year’s first (15 - 18), for Barrass and their 2025 second (19 - 21)

Sounds fair to me.
Yes the first round / second round analysis needs to take account of finishing positions. Its not two first rounders for a 28 year old.

If we are top 6 again next year (good chance) and west coast are bottom 4 (very likely), we are effectively giving a late first rounder this year and then sliding a few draft spots next year. Thats not far off

There is obviously the risk of us regressing and them improving next year. Equally they could come dead last and we could go close to the top, making it a very marginal difference.

Id also be comfortable with both firsts for their Barass and their second this year. Thats a slide this year in a draft that bats deep and our first next year. Keep winning this year and its gets better

On paper I tend to agree, but there’s a lot to play out in terms of 2025.

The Eagles may rise up the ladder unexpectedly and/or the Hawks may drop down the ladder unexpectedly and the ‘slight pick downgrade’ could easily become quite significant.

I am looking forward to having Barrass but I would prefer not to involve our next years first if possible.
I'm with you on this. IMO if the deal involves our F1 then we need to be prepared to walk away. The competition is so tight atm any team it seems can rise or fall 4-5 places on the ladder so moving future picks (especially first rounders) should only be done for the top echelon of players in the league.

Yes Barrass is a need and yes he is still a top line defender but he also comes with a lot of risk to. I want him in a Hawks guernsey day 1 of preseason but not at the price of 2 x 1st rounders. No one on this board can confidently guarantee that or F1 won't end up being a top 10 pick and touch would if all the wheels were to fall off a top 5 pick.

Mortgaging the future for a soon to be 29yo with a history of back issues is not wise move. As I said earlier I'm coming around too a deal of our 2024 1st + our F2 and I wouldn't be surprised if a fringe player is thrown in as the cherry. WC might very well ask for 2 x 1st rounders to get the negations started but after some back and forth I think the above deal is what will end up transpiring.

Fair enough Barrass is still contracted but he was apparently knocked back on a restructuring his current deal which was a handshake deal from the previous list manager which is why he's become available in the first place. It's quite obvious that they've seen him as a player that can be dealt to kickstart their rebuild and have given him permission to look at other options. Deals like this rarely fall over and you'd assume that all the finer details have already been worked out and I'm sure we've already informed WC what our offer is and where we're not willing to go.

I'm with you on this. IMO if the deal involves our F1 then we need to be prepared to walk away. The competition is so tight atm any team it seems can rise or fall 4-5 places on the ladder so moving future picks (especially first rounders) should only be done for the top echelon of players in the league.

Yes Barrass is a need and yes he is still a top line defender but he also comes with a lot of risk to. I want him in a Hawks guernsey day 1 of preseason but not at the price of 2 x 1st rounders. No one on this board can confidently guarantee that or F1 won't end up being a top 10 pick and touch would if all the wheels were to fall off a top 5 pick.

Mortgaging the future for a soon to be 29yo with a history of back issues is not wise move. As I said earlier I'm coming around too a deal of our 2024 1st + our F2 and I wouldn't be surprised if a fringe player is thrown in as the cherry. WC might very well ask for 2 x 1st rounders to get the negations started but after some back and forth I think the above deal is what will end up transpiring.

Fair enough Barrass is still contracted but he was apparently knocked back on a restructuring his current deal which was a handshake deal from the previous list manager which is why he's become available in the first place. It's quite obvious that they've seen him as a player that can be dealt to kickstart their rebuild and have given him permission to look at other options. Deals like this rarely fall over and you'd assume that all the finer details have already been worked out and I'm sure we've already informed WC what our offer is and where we're not willing to go.
this is said on here every year

if it reaches this point we need to walk away

how many times has that actually happened?

yes fans think its something that should happen but it rarely does, teams just dont do it

it will get done, it will involve a pick slide and we will enjoy watching Tom Barrass play in Brown n Gold premierships

Whats with the logic.

Odd to see Hawks fans not looking at how to look after Eagles in a deal and save their face. Save face from what?

Pies traded their F1 for Schultz and that's pick 10 now ( people thought it would be pick 17-18), an example that should be highlighted again and again. Could easily have been pick 6 too.

Both media and many Hawks fans seem to be working overtime to soften the 2 first rounders deal for Barrass while other club fans are softening Bulldogs to take any deal on offer.

We will cross Reid bridge when it happens. Lots seem to rate Barass at Pick 5-10, while I rate him around pick 15-18.

If we are not willing to walk away, we will get screwed. So lets put Barrass dreams on hold so we don't overpay.

PS : yes many clubs have walked away, Esava/Kelly/Dunkley etc played an extra yr.

Matt Clarke on Gettable saying they have had an initial discussion with Hawthorn on Tom Barrass. Hawks have been open on understanding where West Coast see it and Tom's value but was pretty non committal on what the asking price was. Cal tried to push will it be more than the Hawks first rounder but he simply said something like we will see

It may appear we don't have much leverage but the inclusion of Battle (who is only 26 yrs old), gives us this leverage.

But if West Coast are going to request 2 first rounders with nothing coming back to us, then we walk away from the deal and insist a 2nd Rounder come back to us or we walk away.
We have Frosty who was terrific this year, Blanck and McCabe, who is exactly what we need.
It wouldn't surprise me if McCabe locks down CHB in the 2nd half of 2025.

I'm still concerned we're picking up a talented guy who is 29 yrs old and an injury or 2 may end his career prematurely.
And then we may think what a waste of two 1st rounders. If they refuse to give us a second rounder then I'm more than happy to keep our first rounder and tell them thanks but no thanks.
We may pick up another Weddle (possible) or a KPF.

It may appear we don't have much leverage but the inclusion of Battle (who is only 26 yrs old), gives us this leverage.

But if West Coast are going to request 2 first rounders with nothing coming back to us, then we walk away from the deal and insist a 2nd Rounder come back to us or we walk away.
We have Frosty who was terrific this year, Blanck and McCabe, who is exactly what we need.
It wouldn't surprise me if McCabe locks down CHB in the 2nd half of 2025.

I'm still concerned we're picking up a talented guy who is 29 yrs old and an injury or 2 may end his career prematurely.
And then we may think what a waste of two 1st rounders. If they refuse to give us a second rounder then I'm more than happy to keep our first rounder and tell them thanks but no thanks.
We may pick up another Weddle (possible) or a KPF.
I think McCabe is a fair way off it- as well as learning his craft his twig like legs are going to take multiple pre seasons to develop before he’s not pushed around at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s think this through what Clarky is saying.

The two first round picks sounds a lot but at this stage our first pick will be somewhere around 18 after the academy and FS bids and next year could be a similar pick.

Hawks give
2024 pick 18
2025 pick 20 (if we finish top 4)

Hawks receive

2025 pick 22 (Eagles second round pick assuming they finish bottom 3 again)
And
Tom Barrass

To me that deal sounds about right and what it’s going to take
When you spell it out like that it makes a lot more sense (I hope) to those frothing at the mouth when they hear "two firsts".
The deal makes more sense although I think the club would be pushing for this year's second from them rather than next year's.

When you spell it out like that it makes a lot more sense (I hope) to those frothing at the mouth when they hear "two firsts".
The deal makes more sense although I think the club would be pushing for this year's second from them rather than next year's.
Yep, i'd push for this years 2nd as we know what it is. For them, new coach, good draft hand and some new recruits, better injury luck they could push that pick back a bit. Also trading our future 1st to them i'm not comfortable having 2 picks in the trade flexible and the only way they can change is in West coasts favour.

Either we take a punt that they are bottom 4 again. Or we take a punt that we are top 6+ again. We can't bet on both.

The issue is it’s been done already several times where clubs think it’s a given they’ll improve or maintain their performance from one year to the next only to struggle the following year and give up a prime future pick.. (see 2021 draft, Giants picked Callaghan with Magpies selection).
We all believe we’ll be a challenger next year but we cop a tougher fixture, tight losses and some injuries and who’s to say we’re not missing the 8 and would’ve already given away our top pick.
We should be clear, our future first isn’t part of this trade.. play hard ball for once..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way we offer our first and second plus a player for TB when it's being reported that Geelong only want to give WB their first (this year) for Bailey- who is much younger and has less injury risk.

I reckon it will be our first and second for TB and Eagles 3rd.

Getting a third back will allow us to use our F2 and the Eagles 3rd to trade up the draft on draft night if we see someone we want. It allows for flexibility.

I'd be filthy if we got told "no" from Baz due to some monstrous Cotton On sign on bonus to Geelong.
I think it was the Midweek tackle where they were saying the AFL is suggesting theyll be keeping a pretty close eye on any potential Cotton On deal after the Visy/Judd shambles. Whether that eventuates or not is another thing.

I wonder if instead of cotton on paying Smith bags of money, they being major sponsors of the cats, have said to him that if he didn’t end up at the cats, they wouldn’t renew his contract with them and so costing him big $$$

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back