Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew would have been an incredible get.
I'm glad we had a red hot go.
Very few players, of any era, make the on-field difference that his apparent wage will make to GC on/off-field. Having a poor 'Bottom 6' is far worse than having an amazing 'top 3'* IMO.

*in fairness to Hardwick, he is one coach who managed to build a successful era around a handful of stars & a bunch of very well-drilled role players, so maybe he thinks he can do it again :shrug:

He could have been laughing all the way too the bank playing for a club that has a great history, massive fan base, 13 premierships, a modern day coach and young teammates that enjoy each other’s company and play exciting football; instead he is playing for a club that hasn’t played finals in it’s 12 year existence, will never establish a strong fan base or club culture and will always be playing in front of crowds where the cheers will always be louder from the opposition supporters. Absolutely mind boggling if he has chosen that plastic franchise over the Mighty Hawks!
Sounds great, but we as supporters need to get our heads around to the fact that not all players are motivated by the same things so there's really nothing to be mind boggled about.

The kid is 20, he's earning a crazy amount of coin for his age and I know others scoff at the lifestyle factor but he's probably having the time of his life up here and doesn't want to go back to Melbourne. I personally don't blame him.

If he's getting everything he wants from life playing at the Gold Coast how is that a bad thing?

*in fairness to Hardwick, he is one coach who managed to build a successful era around a handful of stars & a bunch of very well-drilled role players, so maybe he thinks he can do it again :shrug:
Wouldn't have won any without Dusty. So to do it again, he would need to find another Dusty.

It's official – we’re overdue for another AFL premiership, and if history tells us anything, it’s that we're due any day now. Let’s do some quick maths, just for kicks.

Since 1961, we’ve won the AFL Grand Final 13 glorious times:

• 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Now, bear with me. If we look at those years, that’s an average of one premiership every 4.15 years (give or take a few decimal points). With the last one being in 2015, we’ve already gone 9 years without lifting the cup. That’s more than double our average drought!

It’s simple math, folks – we’re not just due for a premiership, we’re overdue. I reckon the footy gods owe us one. Get ready, because the cup’s coming home!

Morris on SEN suggesting you’d need to offer $20mill for 12yrs to get Reid or Darcy.

The times are changing.
I wonder how much of a kick back he gets from their managers for saying that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris on SEN suggesting you’d need to offer $20mill for 12yrs to get Reid or Darcy.

The times are changing.
No chance the AFL wants these sort of deals, and no intelligent club would do them. Don't reckon it'll be long before we see an NBA style max contract length to save clubs from themselves.

The times are changing.
Reid yes, whoever is paying that for Darcy is kidding themselves.

Yes he's talented, but I think recent years have shown you don't need a ~$1.5m a year forward to win flags. Better spread across your whole forward line and a good mix of talent smalls and stalls.

About a 30% increase on the Dusty numbers per year. Probably tracks. I'd do it for either of them. Darcy will be the best forward since Buddy.
I have no doubt Darcy will be a good long term player but I feel like people are getting ahead of themselves in a big way. One 7 goal game against North in a 96 point routing isn't enough to go on, and best since Buddy means better than Hawkins, Kennedy and Riewoldt.

How many clubs are still reliant on the AFL to keep them afloat and how long will it be before a club overextends and gets into serious financial trouble?

The AFL will need to be strategising about what they would do in a serious financial situation. They may not wish OR be able to bail the said club(s) out. Gold Coast and North Melbourne are the clubs I fear going too far, not to mention Tasmania (which I see as unsustainable long term).

The AFL may eventually need to step in and place limits on $'s and years I feel.

I have no doubt Darcy will be a good long term player but I feel like people are getting ahead of themselves in a big way. One 7 goal game against North in a 96 point routing isn't enough to go on, and best since Buddy means better than Hawkins, Kennedy and Riewoldt.

Yes, I think he'll be better than those guys.

I think he will be one of the most prolific goal kickers of his time but I don't just see that as where his value is. He will impact in contest, clearance, link up, playmaking, contested marking, ground ball crumbing, ruck. And he will kick a lot of goals to top it off.

The times are changing.

That's a lot of Hungry Jack's franchises.

Harley should built one in Tonny.

Is anyone else getting Buddy to GWS vibes about the Smith deal??? All the talk was him going to GWS and then ended up at Syd. Would LMAO if the same happened to with Smith and he came to Hawks.. Poor Geelong...

It’s hard to get a good idea of how good he is when he’s sharing a forward line with 2 other KPFs who play like they are the main target.

Yes, I think he'll be better than those guys.

I think he will be one of the most prolific goal kickers of his time but I don't just see that as where his value is. He will impact in contest, clearance, link up, playmaking, contested marking, ground ball crumbing, ruck. And he will kick a lot of goals to top it off.
You're giving him a lot of attributes I haven't really seen him demonstrate at all here. His ball use in the game against us was atrocious, average link up player.

He's very tall, good mark and good below his knees - but as of this year he had less multiple goal games than Calsher. He kicked more than a quarter of his yearly tally against Richmond and North.

He could be as good as you say, but I honestly feel that now teams are aware of him and his strengths they'll be able to prepare for him a bit better. He'll end up as maybe a slightly better Tom Lynch. Not 12 year material.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back