Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, he did not contest. You've described his role but he was not competing last week. Hopefully he competes well tonight and plays his role as he has done most of the season.

He had a bad game but he still threw himself at every marking contest.

He was beaten by the Lobster who has been in ripping form. Took nine marks (I think) against Jeremy Cameron.

Chol has been fantastic for us all season.

We scored the 5th most goals per game in the league inclusive of our shocking start to the season. Thinking a KPF is a desperate hole to fill is alarmist and ignores how good our small forwards are. We don’t have to panic sell a player like Ward just to get a possible shot at a developing tall. Not to mention - how bloody good is Calsher going to be after another pre-season.

He had a bad game but he still threw himself at every marking contest.

He was beaten by the Lobster who has been in ripping form. Took nine marks (I think) against Jeremy Cameron.

Chol has been fantastic for us all season.
That's the key. Chol wasn't great but he competed all game.

Ups and downs. I was critical early but he's been great this year

Imagine a fully fit Mitch Lewis playing Hokball!!

This is a big unknown for me. Does Lewis compliment our 2024 brand of football? He played 4 games in 2024 for 5 goals and we lost all of them badly. The truth is that Chol’s 2024 (36goals so far) is as good or better than any season Lewis has played for us. Lewis has averaged 1.79 goals a game for us over his career with 37 being his best season. The big difference seems to be that with Chol the mosquitos are kicking a lot more goals than they do with Lewis. There is a lot to be said for that.

This is a big unknown for me. Does Lewis compliment our 2024 brand of football? He played 4 games in 2024 for 5 goals and we lost all of them badly. The truth is that Chol’s 2024 (36goals so far) is as good or better than any season Lewis has played for us. Lewis has averaged 1.79 goals a game for us over his career with 37 being his best season. The big difference seems to be that with Chol the mosquitos are kicking a lot more goals than they do with Lewis. There is a lot to be said for that.
Hard to say as when Lewis did play this year he was effectively a witches hat. In fairness to him he’s never had a season with us where he’s had the ball kicked in so frequently and other weapons for the opposition to worry about. If he comes back fit next year he could be the icing on the cake.

12 years is ridiculous and the afl won’t like that. I reckon they bring in a restriction on the length of contract eventually like the nba, I think it’s maybe 5 years max?

I didn't realist Mitch Lewis hadn't kicked more than 37 in a season. Should be noted that he only played 15 that year and Chol has taken 22 games to get to 36.

Mitch Lewis is super high quality and an elite runner. Tragic he's never been up and about during a good hawks era.

But Chol is just such a different player to Lewis so a lot of comparisons don't capture who is better. But one thing we know for sure is that Chol and Dear seem to work really well together.

Lewis was clearly not right in the games we played early, and we've improved outside of the forward line since he's been gone.

If you could guarantee that Lewis plays every game at somewhere resembling his best, he compliments this side perfectly. He commands a good defender, with his range his defender has to go with him all the way up to 50m, he goes on long searching leads and presents through the middle and on the wings. In his best games in 2022 and 2023 he was regularly in the top 5 for distance covered.

Add his contested marking, his presence, Gunners retiring and Lewis slotting in makes a lot of sense... if he can get back to his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to target another wingman who can break lines. Port tagged Massimo and it felt like our rebound broke down.

We have CJ who can do it when fit but need another developing option.
Weddle should take that role next year. We will have the best backline in the comp and now have the luxury to see Sicily do damage up forward.
Super season by a very young group.
I much preferred having a Rioli play for Hawthorn. He was the difference tonight

Lewis is still very important for us going frwd. Would've been massive for us tonight. He's a difficult match up.
Feel like we lack a true, consistent key forward when Chol is having an off night (which is frequent). Calsher dear still developing. Hope mitch lewis is back soon but we should be looking at getting in another key forward this offseason

We scored the 5th most goals per game in the league inclusive of our shocking start to the season. Thinking a KPF is a desperate hole to fill is alarmist and ignores how good our small forwards are. We don’t have to panic sell a player like Ward just to get a possible shot at a developing tall. Not to mention - how bloody good is Calsher going to be after another pre-season.
Pies won the flag last year with Mihocek and a potato as their KPF's, this year Sydney will probably win the flag with 3 tall potatoes, they're nice to have but not essential provided you have enough talent in other areas.

We're still short one gun midfielder, If one of Day or Newcombe are injured, it just feels inferior interms of class. Here's hoping Mackenzie goes to another level.
Geez I like Sicily up forward. He's just elite. As much as I like him down back, with Battle and Barrass potentially stepping in. Scrimshaw playing his natural intercept game and Serong putting his hand up, our forward line then looks more complete in terms of marking prowess

Last edited:
We're still short one gun midfielder, If one of Day or Newcombe are injured, it just feels inferior inturms of class. Here's hoping McKensie goes to another level.
Geez I like Sicily up forward. He's just elite. As much as I like him down back, with Battle and Barrass potentially stepping in. Scrimshaw playing his natural intercept game and Serong putting his hand up, our forward line then looks more complete in terms of marking prowess

I think we are short an elite midfielder when Day and Newcombe are playing, maybe we have that on our list already with MacDonald or maybe we don't, Worpel and Nash are grunt midfielders but grunt midfielders don't aways rise to the top in heavy contested finals, they just work really hard.

Look at port with there elite midfielders

HF
Rozee
Butters

I'd like to see us try to get Brisbane's first round pick if our one goes to WC, as they will need points for Ashcroft, to bring in my talent you can never have enough young talent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back