Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Defence should be sorted with 2xB coming in. I agree with others on here and have felt it all season that we need another midfielder. Someone who can help breakdown the kind of psi Port brought in the first half.

Would you straight swap Lewis for gunners when the time is right?

Weddle should take that role next year. We will have the best backline in the comp and now have the luxury to see Sicily do damage up forward.
Super season by a very young group.
I much preferred having a Rioli play for Hawthorn. He was the difference tonight
Rioli had a very good night.

I would love to see Weddle there.

Which player are we planning on throwing forward as an extra marking target next year?
Hardwick?
Battle?

We looked so much better in the last quarter with Sicily being able to compete with the high ball into the F50.

With Battle and Barrass coming in will McCabe be training with the forwards this preseason or is the plan to still play defence to start with?

Another forward, a replacement for Jack and a star mid combined with Barrass and Battle and we would be very hard to beat. We know what we need.

Tops could Serong be the replacement for Jack, seeing he was drafted as a Forward, then we would have another player that could play both ends, like Sicily, Hardwick and Battle when he arrives.

Last night our backline looked by far our strongest line. They (especially Scrimmers) kept us in the match when we were getting dominated that first quarter and a bit.

It was pretty obvious we lacked another gun midfielder to help Newk compete against Ports midfield stars (Day back will help with that) and we lacked a strong physical target down forward (Chol and Dear are both athletic leapers not physical bangers).

Lewis back would help but we can't really plan for that so I'm thinking we will see quite a bit of Sic down forward next year as even though he's only 188cm he's crazy strong for hso size, is great at using his body to edge out opponents and he makes things happen when he's down forward.

Ward and McKenzie are all the mids we need.

Nah they add to the midfield group, will they be good midfielders yes but they could be great options in the second rotation making us bat very deep, we need another Day or Newcombe one with great pace would be even better.

We need to target another wingman who can break lines. Port tagged Massimo and it felt like our rebound broke down.

We have CJ who can do it when fit but need another developing option.
I reckon we're actually OK, on the outside of Centre:
CJ + Weddle to the Right wing.
Amon up to the Left wing if Mass is out.

I think we're moving away from the traditional "Player X is a Defender, whilst Player Y is a Forward" - I see us moving toward having the best group of 22/23 players on the field/bench, then exploiting in-game opportunities as they arise. Of course, you build this around some 'foundation rocks', like Barrass at FB, but we kinda have too many players to fit in, if they're all playing 1x position only.

We really need AFL to do away with the SUB & allow 5x active players on the Bench.

Backs:
Can't play Barrass, Battle, Frost, Scrimshaw, Sicily, Weddle & Hardwick all in Defence.

Forwards:
Can't play Lewis, Dear, Chol, Gunston, Breust, Wizard, Ginni, Croc & Moore up Forward. Gets even more silly if we want Hardwick & Sicily to swing Forward.

I can see us moving towards selecting our Best 23 each week & enjoying the flexibility of guys like: Sicily, Hardwick, Weddle, Battle & Amon, complemented by the running power of Moore, CJ, Croc, Ginni, Wiz & Ward.

Maybe... :shrug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith would have been handy

Really annoyed at this one. He must have some serious iffy vibes for the Hawks to cool on him so much as the year went along because I still think he would be a great fit

It cant be about the $$ because we have plenty and it cant be about the capital required, if you want someone you find a way.

It will be fascinating to see what set up with who where? in the preseason. Sam will have a plan and i cant wait to see him execute it. I think a seasoned head like Sicily playing high half forward maybe, Weddle or Maginess on the wing, keen for the development of Jasper Scaife as a BIG forward option, the next step up for Ward and Mackenzie, another pre-season into Dear and Watson and Chol.
Plus a tinkering of our game plan for when it comes up against elite pressure from oppo's.
I wonder who else's head Roughy has been in, another diamond in the Rough, ;). Exciting times ahead.

The player we need to develop is Bailey Macdonald. With his pace and run and carry traits he could become the second winger we are looking for. He certainly has shown glimpses of his rare skills at Box Hill
He does tend to turnover a ball though. He reminds me a bit like Bramble. Has pace but is not consistent by foot.

Nah they add to the midfield group, will they be good midfielders yes but they could be great options in the second rotation making us bat very deep, we need another Day or Newcombe one with great pace would be even better.
Jeez mate they are under 22. Wait for them to develop.

WC don’t want Barass gone, that’s why they are playing hardball.
If they didn’t want him gone they’d pay him the little extra he wanted to keep him.

It’s not like they have anyone else deserving the money and have to pay the minimum somehow.

WC don’t want Barass gone, that’s why they are playing hardball.
They can keep him then. I have moved from needing a key back to more needing a key forward and classy mid.

Barrass is OK for the right price, but not overs. Remember, reportedly, we are offering a 4 + 1 contact for him which is highly risky.

We really have only been monstered once this year down back, and that was by the Colman medallist, so we weren't alone in that regard.

If they didn’t want him gone they’d pay him the little extra he wanted to keep him.

It’s not like they have anyone else deserving the money and have to pay the minimum somehow.
Harley Reid may be worth a bit of coin going forward I would have thought.
Anyway why would they be increasing his pay while he still has years to go on his current contract.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back