Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Two senior SANFL games, two impressive performances and two times in the best for South Adelaide. Also two times with double digit tackles, showing his bravery and readiness to compete against hardened professionals. Sid's kicking was a little off and he resorted to quick dump kicks from stoppage at times, but in heavy conditions his hands were super clean and creative.

Hopefully can tempt Crows up to 2 or 3 for him

Any year is a terrible year to have pick 3 in my opinion
in the way that you get it by coming 3rd last (sometimes), sure, but how else is having pick 3 a bad thing?

Anyone suggesting we can use our 1st pick for a tall is kidding themselves.
Sydney have 8 top tier midfielders and absolutely destroyed ours.

We need to get as many top rated A grade mids while we have picks in the 1-5 range.

Hoping like hell that FOS is available at our pick.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
He will need to show a lot more in the back half for us to take him at 2.

I’m leaning towards Trainor.

What a game!!! Really enjoyed it. Vic Country very unlucky.
Standouts from Country were Travaglia, Langford, Lindsay, Lalor, Berry, Whitlock twins, Faull, Tarau and the list goes on.
From Metro Armstrong, Sims, Trainor, Dattoli, Reid, Kako and Cole stood out.
Not a great day for Smillie and O'Sullivan so it's hard to tell what that means.
It might be the year to split our 1st given how even it seems in the top 10.
You'd be more than happy with one of Tranior/Lalor/Langford and another kid in the top 15 in a slide down.

Curious to see who people would take in these scenarios:

Smillie or Langford

Sims or J.Whitlock

Lindsay or Reid

O’Farrell or M.Whitlock

Armstrong
or Shanahan

Smith or Draper

Kako or Berry

Faull or Gerreyn

Can’t recall a draft as even as this one.
You'd be happy with any of those key position players I reckon.
Kako vs Berry so difficult. Berry feels like he just plays well consistently but Kako is a bit more bums on seats talent.
Faull looks good but his kicking is a bit wayward, so I'd have Gerryn over him as he's 199cm as well I think.
Whitlock twins over Sims and O'Farrell. I think their ball use might be a little better.
Draper bit more damaging than Smith for me.
Lindsay vs Reid was tough. Probably give the edge to Reid but I really like Lindsay.
I like Shanahan but Armstrong just looks like a beauty. Would be fine with either though.

Ultra consistent as always, Jagga Smith was one of Metro's best and performed well in a game in which some of the other fancied draft prospects struggled. It was the same as usual for Jagga, strong at stoppage winning a game high eight clearances and releasing teammates into space with creative and clean hands. He worked hard on the spread and hit up targets consistently by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's say we end up with pick 2. What's a realistic expectation of what we'd get if we decided to split it?
Are there any historical examples for reference??

Good luck to the recruiters nailing this draft - which we bloody have to do

It’s why I put up the post about which player would you pick?

Recruiters are going to earn every single dollar this year. The variability between club rankings would be huge this year compared to other years.

Let's say we end up with pick 2. What's a realistic expectation of what we'd get if we decided to split it?
At worst, we should try and peel Adelaide's 2nd rounder out of them to move down 2 spots... Sid Draper would have to be #1 on their board if he keeps tearing it up in the SANFL.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s why I put up the post about which player would you pick?

Recruiters are going to earn every single dollar this year. The variability between club rankings would be huge this year compared to other years.
These drafts are a great opportunity for the sharpest recruiters. The ones who can pick the correct sliders.

Closest I can think of was West Coast in the JHF mega trade. Approximately 2 for 8 and 12 - the other stuff roughly cancels out.

IN: 8, 12, 29* and 47**

* = Port’s future second
** = Port’s future third

OUT: 2, 40 and Junior Rioli

If we want to split the pick, we should look at Gold Coast who currently have 7 & 8. Leo Lombard could get a bid before those two and they may want to trade up to get ahead of it.

At worst, we should try and peel Adelaide's 2nd rounder out of them to move down 2 spots... Sid Draper would have to be #1 on their board if he keeps tearing it up in the SANFL.

That's possibly the best and only deal we could do to trade down if the goal is to secure the picks for this draft rather than a first rounder this year and a first rounder next year.

If we want 2x first rounders this year, the options are slim. There's Gold Coast who might want to avoid having to spend their top two picks (8 and 9) matching a bid on their academy kid. Otherwise, Freo is the only other club that currently has multiple picks in the first round (7, 10 and 14).

That's possibly the best and only deal we could do to trade down if the goal is to secure the picks for this draft rather than a first rounder this year and a first rounder next year.

If we want 2x first rounders this year, the options are slim. There's Gold Coast who might want to avoid having to spend their top two picks (8 and 9) matching a bid on their academy kid. Otherwise, Freo is the only other club that currently has multiple picks in the first round (7, 10 and 14).
Another that might consider trading up is St Kilda. 5, 25 to move up to 2 if they want the top mid in the draft.

I’d be disappointed if we pick him. Better options ahead of him.

Don’t be, Finn is still the genuine Rolls Royce of this class.

If we finish 16th, which I think we will, his year to date may be the only scenario in which we were/are a chance selecting him at 3.

Will be Wardlaw all over again.

Last edited:

Would you trade 2 for 8 & 9 ?
This might be the year to do it considering our needs & that this years crop seems to be more even.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back