Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

195cm key forward Harry Armstrong may have arrived at the Champs late, but in his three games he's sure made an impression. He launches at contested marks, finds space and separation on the lead, and possesses an accurate cannon of a left foot making him a threat anywhere within 60 meters of goal. His five goals here were a single game high for the Champs series and a critical factor in Metro's win.

195cm key forward Harry Armstrong may have arrived at the Champs late, but in his three games he's sure made an impression. He launches at contested marks, finds space and separation on the lead, and possesses an accurate cannon of a left foot making him a threat anywhere within 60 meters of goal. His five goals here were a single game high for the Champs series and a critical factor in Metro's win.

He looks very good to my untrained eye! Decent mobility, great leap and booming kick.

Has he jumped out of the pack in the champs or has he always been a projected 1st round pick?

Looks like he’d fill a glaring hole in our list.

He looks very good to my untrained eye! Decent mobility, great leap and booming kick.

Has he jumped out of the pack in the champs or has he always been a projected 1st round pick?

Looks like he’d fill a glaring hole in our list.
Jumped. Was injured (I'm not fully across the details) and emerged with strong form in school footy, a couple of solid Talent League performances and then was picked for the Metro Champs squad in game 2.

Still prefer Gerryen I think

Bit of Jarrad Waite about him

Xavier Lindsay showed why he should be locked in as a first round pick with an outstanding performance in the biggest game of this years Champs series. He played on a wing in the first half of the game and showed he has all the attributes and positional knowledge to thrive there, working up and back, finding a stack of the footy and apply immense defensive pressure. He played more onball in the second half where he was effective and competitive. He did have a few costly turnovers, but also some key moments of quality with ball in hand.

I like him: smart, tough, great kicking and vision. Gets involved. Seems the sort that will be racking up possessions after a couple of preseasons and delivering darts all game.

Last edited:
The Nostradamus you still keen on Smillie? Not sure if feel great about using pick 1,2 or 3 on him.
Yeah still easily top 3 for mine

Still has had monster games this year, FOS coming back from injury hasn’t worked into top form yet but still up there and trainor

I'm more curious about the reach of our spotters and talent scouts across the country. Does anyone know how many people we have actively watching games lives across the country? 1 to 2 in each of the states? More? What level of game do they get to? APS? Local leagues?

What's the general consensus? Seeing games live give a better idea or watching the replay over and over. Do we have access to down the ground vision for Coates League games etc?

Would love to hear from the club on their current approach.
Joegreen, have you tried contacting the club via email or some other device and addressed it to care of Will Thursfield national recruiting manager or even go on Linkedin online and ask Will, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to answer all your questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joegreen, have you tried contacting the club via email or some other device and addressed it to care of Will Thursfield national recruiting manager or even go on Linkedin online and ask Will, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to answer all your questions.
Yeah good idea - let them know we’ve got enough experts on here to help out

Working off the great ranking list provided by TTS it "potentially" gives us the option to take either one of Smillie/FOS or two of Trainor/Amstrong/Kako if GC agreed to the swap. Could be a win/win for both clubs.

*Understanding that 8 & 9 will get pushed back in the order but there are always selection surprises in the top 10.
That's true, but what some people forget is that even if somehow we got hold of picks 8 & 9 and they get pushed back to 11 and 12 your still going to have the same player/s available at these selections, and we all know who the father/sons and academy players are so in reality your not missing out on anyone in the open draft.

Tobie had a fantastic game here that was unfortunately mired by a controversial (to say the least) free kick and 50 meter penalty against him that handed Vic Metro the game. Up until that pivotal moment, Tobie was his usual combination of intensely competitive defender and damaging rebounder, regularly disrupting Metro's forward thrusts before setting up his team with attacking dash. Tobie's consistently strong performances have put him right in the top 10 frame.

Would Luke Urquhart be on our radar? From the small amount of vision I have seen he looks like an absolute unit - man against boys stuff?
Hard to say Waynesworld, but if I could take a guess, probably not, Luke is a centre square guy who can certainly play, the one thing that lets him down at times is his kicking but he will get picked up I'm pretty sure about that.

Contrary to popular opinion I think one more midfielder and maybe a a guy who can play half back, wing, will see us through in that area of the ground and the perfect player in that regard is Xavier Lindsay who is a half back flanker/ winger who was the best player on the ground in the clash between Vic country and Vic metro, his left foot kicking is so elite its a thing of beauty, but if my hunch is right he wont be there in the second round so unless we split our pick we will miss him.

Last edited:
Xavier Lindsay showed why he should be locked in as a first round pick with an outstanding performance in the biggest game of this years Champs series. He played on a wing in the first half of the game and showed he has all the attributes and positional knowledge to thrive there, working up and back, finding a stack of the footy and apply immense defensive pressure. He played more onball in the second half where he was effective and competitive. He did have a few costly turnovers, but also some key moments of quality with ball in hand.

After rewatching a handful of his kicks were great but the vision also highlights that he fumbles and he turned the footy over often. I wouldn’t say that’s the best highlights package for him.

If we intend to take River, I can't imagine why we wouldn't just take him with a 5th round pick. Why leave it to chance by passing on that pick and hoping to take him in the rookie draft? As I understand it, the difference in pay scale between a first year player taken that deep in the draft as opposed to a player taken in the rookie draft is only $5,000.
I'd guess the rookie might be 1 year contract vs 2 years ND contract outside the first round.

If we nominate River and there are no bids, do we have to give up the last pick in the ND or can we just pre-select him as the last rookie pick? What does that mean for upgrading Kal Dawson (I'm assuming you use the last ND pick for that).

"Under the rule, other AFL clubs can bid for eligible players who have been nominated under the Father-Son Rule by an eligible club. The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft.

A club can pre-select an eligible player as a Category A rookie between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts (with the player’s consent) provided the player had nominated for but was not selected by another club at either the National or Pre-Season Drafts. In that case, the relevant club would forfeit its last available selection in the Rookie Draft to take the player."

I like Lindsay but is he a bit similar to Hardemann? Feel like we could use somebody a bit taller for the right side wing who can take a grab and run all day like Travaglia or Langford or Allen.

Agree in terms of the need for a tall wingman. I think Lindsay is quite different to Hardeman. Hardeman is more of a running half back with a tendency to kick long. Lindsay is more of your composed user with short kicks. Lindsay at the top end of his potential reminds me of Zac Merrett. Hardeman is about an inch taller too. Travaglia is a genuine defender in my eyes (but probably grows into an inside midfielder depending on team), same as Allan. Langford could be that taller wing, can definitely play everywhere, would want someone faster on the wing imo.

I think Sam Davidson from Richmond VFL currently playing as a 192cm pseudo-key / 3rd tall forward could turn into that prototype tall wingman a la Sam Durham, due to his big tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back